Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking on water

Re: Taking on water

Do you have any pickups for live bait well or a deck wash? Check the connections are all tight as the pressure of being under way may cause a pressure leak that cannot be seen when stationary. Bung washers would be my next thought.

Hope you find the problem quickly

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks again for the replys, got no bait tanks or anything like that. I took it out yesterday Arvo and this time I took on more water, but now I'm sure that it's the bungs. Water was coming throughout one of the deck bung holes.

Now I only tighten them up with hand so is there a better way of doing it?, should I wrap the tread with tape?

Mustang

I thought I had a bung washer problem & mucked around with replacement washers for a while then finally removed the whole fitting & re-sealed it properly to the transom.
    The washers were the hard red plastic ones & I was positive the washers were leaking but they weren't, now I only finger tighten mine.
    Makes me think that a lot of 'leaking bung washers' are really just complete fittings that need re-sealing.
    Don't be surprised if you have more than one leak I had three and it was like herding cats to find them.

If you had a bilge pump I thought it might be coming in through the outlet hose or it could be getting water in from the engine well where the cables come out, this will happen to my glass boat when in rougher waters, smooth water nothing comes out out of the bungs, do you have a heavy engine that makes your boat sit low in the rear?

I did the "fill the hull" thing on mine last year ( not full) and found 4-5 leaks, pulled the floor up and re-glassed the hull under the floor up to the water line, repaired the cracks on the bottom and flow coated it. very solid now and rides better but heavier now and less top speed by about 1 -2 kph, Cheers

Wouldn't even worry about that much water. I recently plugged a hole in my tinny but before that, would have approx 20 to 30 litres in it after a day's fishing. Still, that's nothing to worry about IMO... A 30s burst with the pump and she's gone.

When it starts lapping your ankles, then be concerned!! Of course I don't go off-shore fishing so if the worst was to happen, it's almost get-out and walk home. lol