Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sunfish. What have they done for those of us in QLD??

Re: Sunfish. What have they done for those of us in QLD??

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    If you get a thousand takers who feel they are hard done by those kids fishing clincs, I'll honour what I said, no problem.

Heheheh! Ya gotta be careful making courageous offers like this, as the instructive case of some bloke named Ben Lugavere, or at least his boss, shows, in relation to the business 'social networking' site LinkedIn ...

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Do you want to put an upper limit on that offer? Chances are there will be people joining Ausfish from all over the word just to say to you that they are hard done by because of the fishing clinics.

Perhaps we should start an extra thread and ask Steve to add another Ausfish server to handle the onslaught.

whether you like sunfish or loath sunfish, and pushing the snapper debate to one side, at some point you have to ask yourself what would recreational angling be like in queensland without their input so far? would we be better or worse off? would it just be the same for us?

some more hypotheticals, if they were disbanded, what would take their place? who would represent recreational angling to government?

now i don't know how sunfish operate, but i'm guessing there's some sort of democratic process there. so therefore, if enough of you guys wanted to make a difference to sunfish (and hence the representation of recreational angling to our government) i'm sure based on numbers you could all go and sign up and get yourselves elected into positions of responsibility and then push your barrow from there. coming on here and just bagging sunfish out for the last few months has made no difference whatsoever to the world and has just made you lose sleep. so if enough of you genuinely want to make a change then just go and sign up as a member, use your numbers to get your agenda pushed through, and make yourselves heard.

personally, i'm just happy that there's someone there doing something about recreational angling even if they're not necessarilly being listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    whether you like sunfish or loath sunfish, and pushing the snapper debate to one side, at some point you have to ask yourself what would recreational angling be like in queensland without their input so far? would we be better or worse off? would it just be the same for us?

some more hypotheticals, if they were disbanded, what would take their place? who would represent recreational angling to government?

now i don't know how sunfish operate, but i'm guessing there's some sort of democratic process there. so therefore, if enough of you guys wanted to make a difference to sunfish (and hence the representation of recreational angling to our government) i'm sure based on numbers you could all go and sign up and get yourselves elected into positions of responsibility and then push your barrow from there. coming on here and just bagging sunfish out for the last few months has made no difference whatsoever to the world and has just made you lose sleep. so if enough of you genuinely want to make a change then just go and sign up as a member, use your numbers to get your agenda pushed through, and make yourselves heard.

personally, i'm just happy that there's someone there doing something about recreational angling even if they're not necessarilly being listened to.

That is the essence of my concerns surrounding Sunfish . If they are not influencing Government policy to a certain degree , how else are they representing the general recreational fishers community . Just as an aside , before anyone suggests that I join Sunfish and attempt to change the status quo , I have neither the patience , temperament , nor qualifications to do so .
    Shawn
    P.S And this is not an attack on any individual connected with that organisation.

i'm hearing ya shawn, i have the same concerns, the government just isn't listening. like you, i neither have the time nor the inclination to try to influence government, however i am more than happy to contribute membership money to an organisation that will attempt to do this on my behalf. but i still fail to see how we should all be shooting at the only organisation that's trying to make a difference, when the real target should be the government who's not listening.

i again raise my argument for the imposition of a recreational fishing license to create a massive instant membership of, and to raise funds for, a completely democratically formed organisation to represent recreational anglers to government here in queensland.

Rec fishing has just been given an economic value of 7 billion dollars in Australia (correct me if I have made a mistake).
    This forum appears to have a strong boating/fishing presence.

Is it possible the presence of rec fishing people is about to change...

well..perhaps instead of bagging other re like or dislike of Sunfish, my question is: Where has it all gone wrong in the past 20 years. The Burns Inquiry spelt it all out rather well:

and in 1994 the press release stated it was adopted:
    http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/upl...-%20Image4.pdf

so which Governments in the time since then have ripped it all apart?

brilliant post PH, and good question, just where has it all come unstuck?

i'm thinking that the cost and requirements of fisheries management have not moved with the times and have simply been "politicised" by the government in order to secure some green votes. ie. common sense was thrown out the window and it became cheaper to create kneejerk policy instead of pay for good/transparent data and research.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    brilliant post PH, and good question, just where has it all come unstuck?

i'm thinking that the cost and requirements of fisheries management have not moved with the times and have simply been "politicised" by the government in order to secure some green votes. ie. common sense was thrown out the window and it became cheaper to create kneejerk policy instead of pay for good/transparent data and research.
    I am inclined to agree with you .
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Do you want to put an upper limit on that offer? Chances are there will be people joining Ausfish from all over the word just to say to you that they are hard done by because of the fishing clinics.

I reckon that we should be able to find a thousand Ausfishers to invite Dicko to fulfil his generous offer.
    You're right, I'd better set an upper limit, seeing you're inclined to promote it elsewhere and not in the spirit it was intended. (Why anyone would sign up here to disagree with the kids fishing clinics and send me a pm to get 50c is beyond me, but there's plenty of loonies out there in internet land..)

Seeing as you're confident of 1000 ausfishers taking up the offer, we'll set it at that. As an added bonus when it hits 1000 I'll throw in $100 to the charity of your choice.

When they start flooding in, I'll email Steve and ask for a bigger inbox.

oh, and while we're talking about my inbox, considering how strongly you feel and how much yapping you do, yours (or the others you mentioned) hasn't arrived yet...
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Back to the real issues of Sunfish. Most of their faults come from being too reliant on Gov't funding and as such become a toothless tiger on any meaty issues. I can't see any change to that without massive public support, and for various reasons I can't see that changing anytime soon. It seems to me that you guys picking on the kids fishing clinics are attacking one of the more worthwhile choices they've done with a very small part their/our funding and should be concentrating on the 'real' issues and how to change them... ..

oh, and while we're talking about my inbox, considering how strongly you feel and how much yapping you do, yours (or the others you mentioned) hasn't arrived yet...

Ah - don't take it too seriously, mate. Fishing - and this website - is a pastime. Nothing of a life or death nature. Nothing to fight about or get upset at various opinions expressed here. Most of us just enjoy the banter.

Most of us regulars like Finga and Pinhead and Jarrah Jack just love a bit of good natured elbowing in the finest Aussie blokey traditions on Ausfish.

All good fun.

Am still puzzled about government funded committees like Sunfish, though.

Ah - don't take it too seriously, mate. Fishing - and this website - is a pastime. Nothing of a life or death nature. Nothing to fight about or get upset at various opinions expressed here. Most of us just enjoy the banter.

Most of us regulars like Finga and Pinhead and Jarrah Jack just love a bit of good natured elbowing in the finest Aussie blokey traditions on Ausfish.

All good fun.

Am still puzzled about government funded committees like Sunfish, though.

Well at least we've established you're all talk and no action. That's hardly an Aussie blokey tradition, but anyway, it seems to be increasing these days. Especially now the internet offers a bigger platform for people like yourself to just sit on the sidelines throwing rocks at those on the field.

Have often are these kids clinics run?
    Is there a timetable somewhere?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Its times like these that you wonder just how much our illustrious Shadow Minister for Fishing watches these posts. And whether he might have a comment ??

Well at least we've established you're all talk and no action. That's hardly an Aussie blokey tradition, but anyway, it seems to be increasing these days. Especially now the internet offers a bigger platform for people like yourself to just sit on the sidelines throwing rocks at those on the field.

There is nothing more dangerous than someone who believes that they know what is right for other people.