Thread: Should I buy? Shakespeare Angler 140

Should I buy? Shakespeare Angler 140

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise on the above mentioned kayak.
    Looking to get one from anaconda. I have a mate that works there and can get me a good price.

It will be my first kayak looking at mostly estuary fishing to start with them maybe move out into the bay once i have the experience.

Does anyone own one or have had any experience with them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys
    Andrew

Re: Should I buy? Shakespeare Angler 140

Seems to very limited access to storage inside the kayak, no front hatch...Maybe cheap but for a little more money there are way better options.....

Re: Should I buy? Shakespeare Angler 140

Andrew,

The brand is not familiar to me, and I've been kayak fishing since 2001. Have to also agree with Sel about the limited storage access. If you are looking for your first fishing yak, suggest you checkout the "For Sale"/"Classifieds" sections of the following Australian kayak fishing web sites. Always some good deals to be had there: www.kfdu.com.au, www.akff.net. Otherwise checkout Trading Post online and E-Bay for well priced new or good second hand yaks.

Not sure what size/weight you are, but consider the kayak's "capacity" when shopping around for the yak. For example I weight 110kgs. So I need a yak that can handle 110kgs plus say 20 kgs for my gear (rods, tackle, water bottles, a sounder etc.). It adds up pretty quickly. If you run too close to the stated capacity of the yak you'll be sitting low in the water and will need to expend more energy to move through the water, which means you'll get tired quickly. Also if you are in rough water you'll be get more water coming over the side. So think long about the capapcity of the yak.

Also if you are a larger person like me, you don't want a short yak. 3 meters minimum I reckon. Otherwise it will be difficult to get up and move through the water.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================