Thread: What will happen to the Awonga Barra ?

What will happen to the Awonga Barra ?

Just copied this from the weatherzone forum.

mum was just listening to the ABC radio in Gladstone online and they interviewed the Mayor and she said there is a 5mtr high wall of water going down the boyne river cause Awonga is spilling over .. she said it's totally unprecedented for that area ...

i think Oswald needs to run out of puff and fast!
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

Re: What will happen to the Awonga Barra ?

Were not a lot of big ones left anyway, those that go down stream will be good sport fishing around Gladstone, those that are damaged will provide more grist for the greenies whinging about the harbour dredging being the root cause of all injured and diseased fish in the area ......

LAKE AWOONGA is currently 5.5m above the spillway into the Boyne River - the highest level it has ever been, and even higher than during the floods of 2010-11.
    While those numbers sound daunting, authorities are confident the dam is functioning according the plan and there is no need for panic.
    Gladstone Area Water Board chief executive Jim Grayson confirmed the water level at 10.30am.
    Mr Grayson said while the lake was already at its highest level, it was certain to rise further.
    With stream flows (currently being observed) there is more water coming.
    Mr Grayson said the water would definitely rise to 6.5m above the spillway and it was possible the level would reach 7.5m.
    He said no fish had been seen jumping over the spillway, and reiterated the situation was well within the design and capability of the dam.
    The previous highest level of the lake was 4.16 metres over the spillway on December 28, 2010.

The Dam reached 8.3m over the spillway. Yep that’s a lot of water and it caused a lot of damage to the environment, houses and boats in the Boyne River. We were lucky as it didn't affect us but we did go and see a house that we were looking at buying a year ago and the water was lapping at the door. All I can say is thank god we didn't buy it otherwise it would have been some sleepless nights. As for the Barra coming over the wall I did see 3 dead ones on Sunday all over the meter mark just up from Benaraby Bridge. Huge waste. Tried lifting them with the gaff and they were heavy. I could just barely get them up above the water so my guess is 20+ kg each. We did also see 2 free swimming on the surface again over the meter mark but water visibility was very ordinary as you couldn't see the lures more than 100mm below the surface. They weren’t interested in anything we were throwing at them. Probably still wondering what happened as they did the big fall. There was a heap of dead baitfish as well but in saying that there was also a heap of live ones in the water. The cormorants were having a field day. I just hope the pro's don't decimate it like last time all for their $2/kg at the Sydney fish markets. The fish are way too valuable for the armature fishing fraternity to be raped for virtually nothing.