Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any news from awoonga

Any news from awoonga

Just putting the feelers out to see of any news from the barra front at awoonga, looking forward to the up coming summer now i have moved to rocky, just checking the awoonga fishing front. is there any barra geting caught in the dam or below the dam that would encourge me to run down any chase a few.

kel...........

Re: Any news from awoonga

A couple of mates just spent a few days at both Mondy & Awoonga (boynedale) for a grand total of 1 catfish ........ the weather was wet at Awoonga though

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There is rumours of the odd one being caught in Faust. Might be better to head north at this stage.

I heard they are getting more below Awoonga than in Awoonga.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    I heard they are getting more below Awoonga than in Awoonga.
    that is where a good number of them have ended up ! - A point to note is that that is where the local guides have conducted their business ( below the dam wall)

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I had a go on Wednesday from about 10am till 10pm for no results. The water in the basin was about 18.5c. I fished New Zealand Gully and Cormorant Bay plus some points closer to Dingo island where the temps got up to 20.5c. Tried X-raps, arafura's, bombers, B52's, slick rigs and tangos. Didn't see a fish. Only saw two other boats out.

I guess thats the indicator then.
    If its chocka with boats then the fish are on.
    Its starting to go back to the days like when we went 10 years+ back except the fishing was fantastic back then and only a few trailers in the carpark, Bugger!!

I spoke with a guide I know there last weekend and he hasn't heard of a fish being caught in Awoonga since the floods.
    A lot of the fish downstream have now dispersed up and down the coast, still fish in the local rivers but they have been hammered hard by the pros who have netted enormous catches.
    There have been more fish introduced into Awoonga but it seems its a long way back for this once great fishery. It is now considered that the majority of big fish left the dam, and that with water levels full, the remaining fish are few and far between.
    Flatzie

With the current allowed stocking rate l think at least three to five years before the dam returns to some of its former glory
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Ive heard from a good sources that this years fingerlings wont be released because of the chance that the dam might spill again this year or early next year and there just sitting in there grow out pond or ponds getting bigger,you would think that there natural instink would be to go upstream???, wouldnt it make more sence to increace the stocking to bring there numbers up because of the situation in the dam at the moment to protect the income of the people that comes from this dam and the spin offs from that.

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    I spoke with a guide I know there last weekend and he hasn't heard of a fish being caught in Awoonga since the floods.
    A lot of the fish downstream have now dispersed up and down the coast, still fish in the local rivers but they have been hammered hard by the pros who have netted enormous catches.
    There have been more fish introduced into Awoonga but it seems its a long way back for this once great fishery. It is now considered that the majority of big fish left the dam, and that with water levels full, the remaining fish are few and far between.
    Flatzie
    There was a fish landed during the No Blokes comp which was after the floods. I've also had reports of other fish being taken since.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I was talking to a guide up there a few weeks back..he did not think there would be any problems catching fish once the warmer months arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Ive heard from a good sources that this years fingerlings wont be released because of the chance that the dam might spill again this year or early next year
    Wouldn't that apply to every dam in Queensland?

I have heard from one of the local charter operators that he has not fished the dam since the floods and is not taking any bookings for fishing as at the end of this month.

Maybe this is a sign of the state up there, I know the Boyne had fished well but with the netters and a virus now killing fish that it will decline very quickly i think.

only time will tell how it goes.

Cheers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Wouldn't that apply to every dam in Queensland?
    Definately not.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to