Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good fishing show ?

Re: What makes a good fishing show ?

A good fishing show would be Finga getting off his computer and actually going fishing

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Guys, really appreciate the replies, great stuff.

Tell me, is there a limit to what music selection these shows use? I know there is license and royalties paid to people who write the jingles, and once written, that is the specific jingle used for that show. "If you love fishin then come with me yeah" is echoing in my head now, so I guess with me it has done what it is designed for, and I remember it. But its the repetitive, same selection of music that starts up - distorted electric guitar every time someone puts a bend in the rod - for instance.

Is it only a sign of low budget production where the music selection is restricted to only what the producers have paid for under license? What determines the variety of music used? How can they increase the range selected?

The point might be insignificant to some people, who don't care what is used, but I am passionate about my music, I play bass and acoustic guitar, so this sort of thing grates on my nerves when tunes are used repetitively.

Scalem
    Good call scalem and again, this is one of the reasons I liked wildfish so much. the music is still in my mind. Sick of the same old stuff being trotted out. Acoustic when they're setting out on the trip, electric whine when they hook up. Please. someone with originality step up to the crease.

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    A good fishing show would be Finga getting off his computer and actually going fishing

cheers tim
    That is a good show.
    Just ask the people I've fished with in Brisbane.
    I just choose not to put a song and dance on about it.

But mostly it would be pretty boring seeing I usually just laze about with a line in the water not worrying too much about anything.
    I suppose I'm pretty lucky and take fishing for granted just like everything people are fortunate enough to do often.
    It's a bit too handy having a good fishing spot 400m from home, a boat ramp within 500m, a huge dam well within 10kms from home and spots everywhere in between where you just pull up and cast a line into the creek and catch anything from carp to Yellowbelly to Cod.
    I think I take it too much for granted especially when I see guys like Shawn drive for 2 and a half hours each way just to fish at a place that's my local. Maybe I should appreciate what I'm able to do more?
    I can collect some fresh live bait, go out for a few hours fishing and come home and be all washed up and cleaned in time for a late smoko if I want to venture out wide to Lesley.
    Just yesterday afternoon I went and cut some steel for a gantry at a mates place dead bang in the centre of town and afterwards (about 4pm) I walked down to the creek, pulled the shrimp trap out to get some bait, sat on the bridge and caught a Yellow-belly and then walked back up to the car and come home for tea around 5.30.
    I don't even have to cart the rod around. I just leave it and a knife (to cut the line in if the hook is swallowed as I throw them all back at this spot) under the bridge.
    Usually it's one fish and I'm happy and then I'm home.
    Fishing for me is not just the act of been next to, or on, some water with a line in trying to catch a fish.
    Fishing to me includes every aspect of fishing. Building a boat, trailers etc; building all my own rods; building some of my tackle; building traps and catching my own bait is all a part of fishing.
    When we buy another farm out here I'm even going to build my own dam to fish in (if there's not one there already).
    How boring would all that be on a television show? A 5 episode adventure of finga building an ashtray for the tiny tinny. Or a 12 hour special of finga doing a weave on a rod. Or the 2 day saga/tragedy of rod grip building.

To be honest I'd rather spend a 1/2 an hour or an hour or how-ever long a fishing show takes into repairing or building a rod or sitting on the bank of the creek down the hill with a line in the water actually fishing.
    Boring to most...yes. Relaxing to me.....yes. Song and dance...nope. Sorry.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post

cheers tim
    Actually that brings up a good talking point.
    What fishing expeditions have you all had that would make good entertainment on television??

I know the time I was with Mike in the Brisbane river and I got a reasonable cod on a 2kg rod with a 1000 size spinning reel and Mike was giggling waiting for the rod to break....but it didn't... would have been entertaining.
    And the time TOL and Chopper were laughing at me pushing the boat across the spoils out the front of Ormiston...and failing to tell me the little reef sharks were following us could have been a lesson on what to look for when pushing a boat.
    Or the time I caught a sting-ray in the Evans boat harbour about 6-7 across and spent a couple of hours showing kids how to 'play' a fish with an Alvey to have some clown come along and gaff it just as I'm about to cut the line to release it. The entertainment was me nearly throwing the clown in to give the poor ray mouth to mouth would have made a good episode on the narrow mindedness of some people.
    Or the time the brother in law from Darwin had a lure snag just below the water in Lesley dam so he jumped in to get it...and instantaneously near jumped across the boat on his way out. He wasn't expecting the cold at all
    Or last week (or was that the week before??) when I was having a quite fish and a water dragon came and sat next to me sunning himself on the bridge timbers... just like I was... could have shown the tranquillity one can experience whilst fishing if they want to.

As I mentioned before, the best fishing entertainment I've seen on a television are the video's Heath puts out. Real people, real fishing and none of the 'extras'.

Hey Guys,
    I think you guys are just a bunch af fussy old farts! Seriously - If it has fishing or boating in it - I am interested!

I love em all - Don't care what wheel barrow they are pushing or who's product they are trying to sell - I just want to see the fishing. Keep in mind that someone has to pay for the show to actually be made, produced and shown - so if that means talking about E-tecs; Squidgies; whatever - I don't care.

Throw in a bit of comedy (however juvenile) and all the better.

Love "I fish"; Fishing Australia; Robson Green; Wildfish - even Fishing Australia and ET. Loved Malcolm Douglass' shows as well and even Rex Hunt - Yibada Yibada......

I guess I am just passionate about fishing and boating and am happy that my favorite pastime is also on TV. - Great for those days when you can't be out there.

Mark

Another thing - you know all those Reality Reno shows that are on at the moment?

How good would it be to have reality Boat reno shows. - You have teams of 3 or 4 people restoring an Old Haines or Bertram; Buiding a kit platey from scratch.

Any TV producers on the forum?

Hook Line and Sinker those two guys crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    Another thing - you know all those Reality Reno shows that are on at the moment?

How good would it be to have reality Boat reno shows. - You have teams of 3 or 4 people restoring an Old Haines or Bertram; Buiding a kit platey from scratch.

XXXX did the boat thing a few years ago and we even had a team organised from here.
    I really don't know what happened with that from XXXX's standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    That is a good show.

But mostly it would be pretty boring seeing I usually just laze about with a line in the water not worrying too much about anything.
    I suppose I'm pretty lucky and take fishing for granted just like everything people are fortunate enough to do often.
    It's a bit too handy having a good fishing spot 400m from home, a boat ramp within 500m, a huge dam well within 10kms from home and spots everywhere in between where you just pull up and cast a line into the creek and catch anything from carp to Yellowbelly to Cod.
    I think I take it too much for granted especially when I see guys like Shawn drive for 2 and a half hours each way just to fish at a place that's my local. Maybe I should appreciate what I'm able to do more?
    I can collect some fresh live bait, go out for a few hours fishing and come home and be all washed up and cleaned in time for a late smoko if I want to venture out wide to Lesley.
    Just yesterday afternoon I went and cut some steel for a gantry at a mates place dead bang in the centre of town and afterwards (about 4pm) I walked down to the creek, pulled the shrimp trap out to get some bait, sat on the bridge and caught a Yellow-belly and then walked back up to the car and come home for tea around 5.30.
    I don't even have to cart the rod around. I just leave it and a knife (to cut the line in if the hook is swallowed as I throw them all back at this spot) under the bridge.
    Fishing for me is not just the act of been next to, or on, some water with a line in trying to catch a fish.
    Fishing to me includes every aspect of fishing. Building a boat, trailers etc; building all my own rods; building some of my tackle; building traps and catching my own bait is all a part of fishing.
    When we buy another farm out here I'm even going to build my own dam to fish in (if there's not one there already).
    How boring would all that be on a television show? A 5 episode adventure of finga building an ashtray for the tiny tinny. Or a 12 hour special of finga doing a weave on a rod. Or the 2 day saga/tragedy of rod grip building.

To be honest I'd rather spend a 1/2 an hour or an hour or how-ever long a fishing show takes into repairing or building a rod or sitting on the bank of the creek down the hill with a line in the water actually fishing.

Actually that brings up a good talking point.
    What fishing expeditions have you all had that would make good entertainment on television??

I know the time I was with Mike in the Brisbane river and I got a reasonable cod on a 2kg rod with a 1000 size spinning reel and Mike was giggling waiting for the rod to break....but it didn't... would have been entertaining.
    And the time TOL and Chopper were laughing at me pushing the boat across the spoils out the front of Ormiston...and failing to tell me the little reef sharks were following us could have been a lesson on what to look for when pushing a boat.
    Or the time I caught a sting-ray in the Evans boat harbour about 6-7 across and spent a couple of hours showing kids how to 'play' a fish with an Alvey to have some clown come along and gaff it just as I'm about to cut the line to release it. The entertainment was me nearly throwing the clown in to give the poor ray mouth to mouth would have made a good episode on the narrow mindedness of some people.
    Or the time the brother in law from Darwin had a lure snag just below the water in Lesley dam so he jumped in to get it...and instantaneously near jumped across the boat on his way out. He wasn't expecting the cold at all
    Or last week (or was that the week before??) when I was having a quite fish and a water dragon came and sat next to me sunning himself on the bridge timbers... just like I was... could have shown the tranquillity one can experience whilst fishing if they want to.

As I mentioned before, the best fishing entertainment I've seen on a television are the video's Heath puts out. Real people, real fishing and none of the 'extras'.

Thanks for the life story

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post

How to rebuild an etec perhaps?

TOL

That is a good show.

Hey Scott,
    Just had a thought , probably be a good idea to introduce me to the Wog , so when I go to raid your traps I don't end up with my fat ar#e full of buckshot .
    Shawn

What about "The Angry Fisherman"? Get a laugh out of some of his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I like the kiwi one with Matt Watson, The Ultimate Fishing Show. They take a pretty light hearted approach to fishing but catch a lot of good fish, there is bugger all advertising and the occassional good looking woman in a bikini throwen in. What more could you ask for really? IMO it is the pick of the lot.

Heres a link for you's.
    http://www.theultimatefishingshow.com/video?gallery=22
    Yep I like matty and the fellas,dont know if it will make its way to your screens but the ITM fishing show run a "Matts Apprentice" show where the group was whittled down until they finally had a winner but they had a couple of young ladies going for the position,dont miss the first part.

Hard to make a good fishig show - until you have tried it I don't think you should have an opinion. If you want to see a quality production check out the liquid focus spearfishing dvds- whilst it is spearfishing they are well produced and the underwater footage is breath taking.

Quote Originally Posted by devocean View Post
    Hard to make a good fishig show - until you have tried it I don't think you should have an opinion. If you want to see a quality production check out the liquid focus spearfishing dvds- whilst it is spearfishing they are well produced and the underwater footage is breath taking.
    Haven't tried walking on the moon either, but I have an opinion on it. IMO once it's out there it's ripe to be commented on, just like this post. But I appreciate what you're saying. Talking to a camera is pretty difficult until you get used to it, and good footage shot by an experienced camera"person" is not cheap or easy to come by. Nevertheless, I feel we are consumers of the product, so we've got the right to have a chop at it?