Thread: currently running hds5 gps/ffinder want another screen up front suggestions? nmea q's

currently running hds5 gps/ffinder want another screen up front suggestions? nmea q's

ok guys boat show is on this weekend and i might head down seeing as tho its meant to rain and see if people are willing to do me any deals.

anyways atm i am running a hds5 combo in my 4.75 bluefin tiller. i have a minnkota up front and am deffinately wanting a screen up front showing gps/sounder. so my options do i purchase a hds 8 to put down back then transfer my hds 5 up the front.
    or
    do i purchase 2xhds5x's and put one of those up front and the other next to my hds5 down the back so i can have 2 5''units down the back one for sonar one for gps? and connect them all via nmea2000 so both of the hds5x's use the transducer readings and gps off of my original hds5 is this possible?
    atm i have my hds5 combo set up with nmea starter kit and a fuel flow meter. obviously i would need to buy more nmea cables so if this is possible is it a better option? i can get hds5x for $650 and hds5combo for $850 best i can find a hds8 for is around 1850 i think. anyways opinions please everything i have set might not even be possible and i might look stupid? oh btw dont want to run a hds 10 to big for my tinny!!!
    cheers guys

Re: currently running hds5 gps/ffinder want another screen up front suggestions? nmea

G'day Burley,

It won't matter which way you go, you would be happy with either.
    The HDS 8 is a beautiful screen and excellent size to look at.
    It is also good in split screen as you still have 2 good size screens to look at.

On the other hand, 3 x 5 inch screens are also excellent and you end up with more screen to look at as compared to a single 8 inch in split screen mode..

Tip:
    If you go the 5 inch screens, buy 2 x 5m GPS - not 2 x 5x sounders.
    Connect all units via nmea2000 and ethernet.
    When you connect a 5m via ethernet you can use it as a sounder as well, whereas the 5x will not display gps info.
    Effectively it turns the 5m into a combo unit.
    Also very handy if you have structure scan fitted.

Cheers

Pete

Re: currently running hds5 gps/ffinder want another screen up front suggestions? nmea

I agree 100% with Pete. The other issue with the 5X is that it doesn't have a SD card slot so a) no cabability to download your recorded files; b) upgrading the unit's software is a PITA!

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

thanks guys jumped the gun and bought 2 hds5x units. but have come to the conclusion that i dont neccesarily want gps up the front anyways the front hds5x will be a standalone unit with its own transducer on the bottom of the electric motor. running off the electric motor battery so basically no wires to run. my original hds5 combo is down the back hooked up with nmea starter kit and fuel flow sensor and i mounted the other hds5x next to that and connected the 2 via ethernet cable. so i only need the one transducer for the 2 units. i think ill be pretty happy with that setup for the time being. throw structure scan in and that will be a whole differnt can of worms i will probably look into it in the near future but i should just be able to run that on my original hds combo unit. just need to get the boat in the water and have a play!

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    ok guys boat show is on this weekend and i might head down seeing as tho its meant to rain and see if people are willing to do me any deals.

anyways atm i am running a hds5 combo in my 4.75 bluefin tiller. i have a minnkota up front and am deffinately wanting a screen up front showing gps/sounder. so my options do i purchase a hds 8 to put down back then transfer my hds 5 up the front.
    or
    do i purchase 2xhds5x's and put one of those up front and the other next to my hds5 down the back so i can have 2 5''units down the back one for sonar one for gps? and connect them all via nmea2000 so both of the hds5x's use the transducer readings and gps off of my original hds5 is this possible?
    atm i have my hds5 combo set up with nmea starter kit and a fuel flow meter. obviously i would need to buy more nmea cables so if this is possible is it a better option? i can get hds5x for $650 and hds5combo for $850 best i can find a hds8 for is around 1850 i think. anyways opinions please everything i have set might not even be possible and i might look stupid? oh btw dont want to run a hds 10 to big for my tinny!!!
    cheers guys

Gday burleygu $1850 for a HDS-8 mate thats good buying I am in the market for a new HDS unit where did you see that?
    Cheers Axl

That is a good price. Have you asked the seller if it is the Australian model or the US model? The US units are geofnced I believe.

I just had a look at the link thanks burleygu I have sent him an email to find out if these are Aussie units or not his site says they are but we will see. He has a HDS-7 combo (Im upgrading fron the 5 to the 7)for 1,389 thats 300 cheaper than BIAS if they arent goefenced I will be grabing one.
    Cheers Axl

axl this guy sells them for $1259 mate 100 bucks better off again!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOWRANCE-...item3f0d7101ad

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    axl this guy sells them for $1259 mate 100 bucks better off again!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOWRANCE-...item3f0d7101ad
    Thanks again mate I am dubiuous after reading a few of the posts on this site about geofencing but I have sent the sellers emails and Ill let you (and however else is interested) know what they come back with.
    Last edited by Axl; 30-08-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Spellllling
    Cheers Axl

Both have come back and said that they are not goefenced!! so when the time is right I hope to talk to however is the better priced thanks again burleygu.
    Cheers Axl