Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption for a 100 series Landcruiser

Fuel consumption for a 100 series Landcruiser

Hi all,
    Finally got a new ride. Picked up a shmick 2004 V8 petrol Auto with 140k on the clock.
    Has a nudge bar, roof racks, 2 inch lift and 285/75/16 tyres.

I know you don't buy these beasts for fuel economy!

Now the question....
    What sort of km should I expect around town. That is for instance start stop traffic with an average speed of 60km/h, with air con on. I haven't been on the highway yet.

Reason I ask is that I filled the car up on Friday and have done about 185km so far and the fuel gauge reads just on half. I was thinking I should get around 450km from the main tank.
    Does the fuel consumption seem high?... what sort of KM are others getting from their 100 series? or is it a trait of the landcruisers fuel gauge for the 1st half of the tank? or is the fuel economy normal? Just want to make sure I don't have a problem.

Many thanks
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Re: Fuel consumption for a 100 series Landcruiser

They are very heavy trucks and use heaps of fuel around town if you get up them, in stop start flooring it when taking of all the time you can use up to 30lt/100km heaps more in sand.

The fact that you have bigger tyres doesn't help either and keep in mind you are covering more km than you would if you had the stock 275x70x16 tyres ( over 5% difference).
    The lift, nudge bar and roof racks will increase your consumption on the HWY as well but shouldn't make much difference at low speeds.

As a rule the gauge on the LC100 moves about right on the first half and quicker on the last half of the tank, when the light goes on you still have 15 or so lts in there .

When the main tank goes low ( say bellow 1/4) she will suck some fuel out of the sub tank .

Driving gently on traffic around the 18-20/100 is about normal with standard tyres and about 13-15/100 on the HWY at legal speeds for a stock truck with standard tyres.
    If you want economy the TD is the way to go, especially when towing.

hi heath,

you said it right you dont buy these for the economy, if you drive them nice they are a bit softer on fuel, in mine i could get around town about 600 to the main and then 250 sub, i drove to sydney on the the two tanks and only filled up just north of the harbour bridge, try the hi-clone to improve your economy. each time you turn the ignition on it pumps fuel from the sub tank to the main. as you said you buy a 2 and bit tonne V8 it is going to use fuel- i bet the greenies and julia will love this thread- bloody carbon tax. i wont to use as much fuel as i can haha.
    ps sorr i couldnt get photos of mine to you earlier, glad you got a good bus

cheers

brett

On hwy driving you can get them down to around 13ltrs for the 100k if you take it easy.....but you'll be looking at around 16-18 around town....if towing anything substantial you will see 20-22 per 100 for sure.......worst i've done out of mine was 40ltrs per 100k towning a boat across the Barkly hwy......head wind and average speed about 150kph.....

They are smooth and powerfull and can tow most things with ease but there is a price to pay thats for sure.

Dan

20-22L/100km around town
    towing 3.5t CC 27L/100km
    The best I've seen is 13L/100km on the highway, but no human can sustain that type of driving!

The figures I've generally seen quoted are 20-22L/100k around town. That'd translate to maybe 400k max from the main tank (80L usable). I get about 550k from the main tank in my TD around town.

Join here for all your cruiser info - http://www.lcool.org/forum/index.php

My 07 v8 gxl averages 15-16 round town 13 -14 highway (will use 17-18 round town if the misses drives it all the time) Can get mid to high 12's on the highway if I keep it under 2000rpm (gps indicated 96kph) 102 on speedo. (most cruisers have incorrect indicated speed by about 6k's but odometer is correct). Still using factory 275/65 r17 grandtreks at 40psi running bp ultimate (tried premium and 91 with no ethanol but fuel consumption vs price vs smoothing running is worth it). Make sure if you change tyre size you confirm new odometer readings with gps and work out consumption based on new correct figures as odometer will be out.

Roof racks, lift and taller/wider tyres will kill fuel consumption everytime.

triple, I have NEVER heard of fuel figures anywhere near those for a V8 'cruiser, I have a 6cyl and can't extract that sort of economy from it, but I miss the old 4.2 std diesel I can tell you, it might not go fast uphills, but they are so cheap to run!

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    20-22L/100km around town
    towing 3.5t CC 27L/100km
    The best I've seen is 13L/100km on the highway, but no human can sustain that type of driving!
    smack on what I get driving "normally" maybe closer to 30 when towing the boat

I put a set off extracers on mine and 3" exhaust all the way through and made a huge differnece in economy & power. Well worth a few grand. Bit nousy sometimes towing the boat but you get use to it.

30L/100k is about right towing

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    triple, I have NEVER heard of fuel figures anywhere near those for a V8 'cruiser,
    I was going to go to gas but can't justify the expense.The 5 speed auto gets much better economy than previous 4 speed and on post 2002 fly by wire throttle helps too. If consumption is worse than expected, make sure that you are using the LARGE toyota air filter and the the spinner in the air box is not blocked with leaves. (if snorkel is added and the spinner is still there make sure its not chock full of silicone (have seen some 3/4 blocked with chunks of it).

Attachment 70882
    This is the 4.7ltr V8 2005 model I owned for 4 years. Bloody nice vehicle but they love to drink. Sold it when I changed jobs and work wouldn't cover fuel.
    Expect 20L/100km for 50/50 mix of town/hwy.
    Add a 1t trailer = 24L/100
    Add 2.0t trailer = 28L/100
    Add 3.0t car trailer @ 100km/hr = 35+ L/100

I now own a 1HZ Troopy - yes very slow and nowhere near the comfort, but suits my needs now.
    Now 12L/100km for 50/50 mix of town/hwy.
    Add a 1t trailer = 13L/100
    Add 2.0t boat trailer = 15L/100

Cheers,

Sam

Hows it going Heath?

What economy are you getting?? Were using the main tank for around 400klm
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ive got the IFS V8 in the automatic & a nicer car to drive you could not find.

The 50/50 driving with 3 bar roof rack on is ALWAYS 17-18 L/100

Open road/highway comes down to 13-14 L/100 agian with 3 bar roof rack

I dont try to save any fuel at all. My only wish is that they came with much bigger than the 80/40 fuel tanks stock - i hate stopping for fuel!!!

Cheers
    Hec