Thread: Waeco fridge Question

Waeco fridge Question

Hello all. Just wondering can you run a cf-80 fridge off a deep cycle battery that i use to run my electric motor on the boat (120ah)by making up leads with alligator clips? Instead of the 36ah battery packs.

Re: Waeco fridge Question

Yes you can, but get a anderson plug system from battery to fridge, so you dont have to use the alligator clip and the chance of reverse polarity in the dark is illiminated.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Thanks mate. Will give it a go this weekend.

You can buy an addaptor that has battery clamps on one end and a female cigarette lighter plug on the other.
    Most camping stores or car accessory shops have them.

Scott

Bunnybird,

the CF80 draws high amps on startup, I have found that mine with a cigarette lighter plug, sometimes heats up the plug (doesnt blow the fuse), but expands the connection so it moves a little bit in the socket, untill it doesnt make a connection anymore.

Suggest the anderson plug connectors as with a fuse.

Regards
    Honda.

pre made wiring from waeco (raps 12r-u2)

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    Bunnybird,

the CF80 draws high amps on startup, I have found that mine with a cigarette lighter plug, sometimes heats up the plug (doesnt blow the fuse), but expands the connection so it moves a little bit in the socket, untill it doesnt make a connection anymore.

Suggest the anderson plug connectors as with a fuse.

Regards
    Honda.
    Trust me, Believe what Honda said!!!

I nearly burnt down our camp last year with a cheap cig lighter set up running the waeco CF50 when I tried to crank it up to freeze mode...It caught fire, as did the wiring from the socket back to the battery (too light)....I burnt myself trying to disconnect it before it burnt down the tent. Quite scary.

I wouldn't use aligator clips either. Run good heavy wire, anderson plugs, use proper crimped/soldered lugs to wingnut onto to battery terminals, that go onto the battery.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Trust me, Believe what Honda said!!!

I nearly burnt down our camp last year with a cheap cig lighter set up running the waeco CF50 when I tried to crank it up to freeze mode...It caught fire, as did the wiring from the socket back to the battery (too light)....I burnt myself trying to disconnect it before it burnt down the tent. Quite scary.

I wouldn't use aligator clips either. Run good heavy wire, anderson plugs, use proper crimped/soldered lugs to wingnut onto to battery terminals, that go onto the battery.

Cheers Steve
    Stavros's electrical services .......... stick to saving lives mate
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Waeco advise to use a minimum 6mm cable as well.