Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herb Garden

Re: Herb Garden

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Deepfried - will try and find some vietnamese coriander as I don't have any.
    It could be marketed as laska leaf as well so look for it under both names.

I used to grow an alpine strawberry that has the best taste of all but very small fruit. You should be able to find it on the herbs stands but you do need a good patch of them to get any sort of decent crop. They are well worth the effort but dont expect the large fruit you get from modern varieties.

Have seen perrenial corriander....looks totally different to the normal corriander...maybe this is the vietnamese corriander.

I will have to excercise some control here or the pots might overpopulate the verandah.....bunnings got their new order of seedlings this arvo...was some interesting things amongst them. (was only there because my lamp blew a globe - and it happened to be after the other electrical places were shut). Note to others.....wednesday is the day to hit bunnings for seedlings.

The top of the retaining wall on the block where we are building the house looks like being the herb garden - some space between the wall and the back fence that would otherwise be useless...and gets full sun every day.

Meanwhile pots are the go.

Greg

Hi Greg,
    That perenial coriander is most likely Mexican coriander. It has a nice flavor but is a bit thorny. It is used much like a bay leaf and taken out of the meal when serving. bunnings should have the laska leaf or be able to order it in from the grower. Look for the Renaissance herb or herb Herbert stands as they both grow it. I am just not sure which one supplies bunnings.

Couldn't help meself...just had to get some of those black russian tomatoes, as well as a semi advanced grafted Grosse Lisse tomato plant. Didnt think the grosse lisse were still around....I remember spending time at a mates place when I was in early high school....his father had a tomato farm at Leppington near Sydney. Grosse Lisse were their early crop, followed by Rouge de Marmande (China as they were known in the trade) as the late season crop. Spent many days in the sorting shed helping out. I dont want to overdo it...but still thinking about some veges that wont turn the place into the 'little shop of horrors'.

Greg

Hi Greg
    I have a few herbs in long planter boxes. Parsley, thyme, mint , chives and spring onions also at one time. Also had Mini capsicums I grew from seed after buying them from woolies and lately have just planted a couple of passionfruit in large tubs. I have one of those lots of lemon trees and a African Miracle fruit tree in tubs also and thriving.
    Nothing like a few home picked herbs from the garden-- if you plant mint, leave it under a dripping tap if you have one-- likes the water and will thrive also.

Oh gee-- now I am starting to miss the farm and the fresh vegies and the figs and quinces.

Good gardening
    Ronnie

Hi all

The mrs decided she wanted to have another go a killing of a herb garden so with no where to put a herb garden some landscaping was in order so extend the patio add some rocks and knock up a few planters.
    found some pine i used to box up the shed and come up with this

garden.jpg
    its not big but its on wheels and can be moved as under the rocks is some marine ply. all built from second hand products including the pot plant boxes which now house a lemon and lime tree.
    herbs planted... Parsley, mixed lettuce, chilli, basil, coriander. see how this goes before getting to adventurous.
    all up 3 days work and no bending to pick herbs or maintain.
    the neighbour rekons if his wife sees it its my fault and have to make one for her as well.
    Lucas
    Last edited by lucee81; 01-02-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Photo never came out first time

Hi Guys
    We manfacture and sell solar powered Elevated Gardens for herbs and greens, based on the sunshine coast.
    www.elevatedgardens.com.au

Fully automated and recycle water allowing you to go away for a month with no problems
    Andrew
    "Raptor" CruiseCraft Outsider 650 - Yamaha 200 www.elevatedgardens.com.au