Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evinrude outboard ??

evinrude outboard ??

hi i got a 96 evinrude 2 stroke and wanna know some stuff 1 its hard to start and the guy i got it off said he mixes fuel about 25:1 is that what it should be?
    2 i think it needs a impellor/water pump where is the best place to get this?
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

Re: evinrude outboard ??

I believe those should be 50:1 fuel-oil ratio
    Karree Marine should be able to get an impellor for you.
    They're close by to you.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

It sounds like you're going to play with this yourself shrek, if so do yourself a favour & buy a genuine manual for it. Check fleabay for 2nd hand ones but only GENUINE,

yeah i thought 25 to 1 was to much
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It sounds like you're going to play with this yourself shrek, if so do yourself a favour & buy a genuine manual for it. Check fleabay for 2nd hand ones but only GENUINE,
    yeah the only way to learn is do it yourself
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

A mate of mine has a 98 evinrude 2-stroke 115HP. After it has been sitting for a few months it is always hard to start. Once it has been run for a bit it starts first go all day. They seem to be fussy with too much oil, and it smokes like a bastard - have been using valvoline in it but after reading on here think we will give the Mercury premium a go.

As Finga suggested, Karee Marine will be able to help you. They serviced it for as and did a great job at a good price.

regards

Richo
    Last edited by Richo1; 21-08-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add content

bud 25:1 will just carbon up your plugs and lead tofailure on the water, never less then 50:1, also the starting problem its an old 2stroke thing, what u need to do (if it have a prime bubble) only prime it enough to feel the bubble full dont pump it into the carby(reason is old carbys old seals and it just ends up pushing through the seals and fulls it n then its flat battery time) ha and give it NO throttle until it starts, (reason giving it throttle opens up the jets and also floods it)water pump imprellor take about an hour to change simple job, as fed said ebay may have ur model mayb not, also if u get an impellor get the housing aswell its not much more and if the impellor is old it will have scored the housing anyway. iv had my fair share of old 2 bangers gota love em : ) hope this helps mate.

Why is the auto oil system not working? that is the better option than premixing. A water pump for that will be available through almost any dealer, and an Evinrude dealer will probably have one in stock, as mentioned, buy a genuine manual for your motor, it will save you a lot of head aches down the track.

it dont have a auto oil setup also where can i get a genuine manual from
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

It may not have a WORKING oil injection system, but it did when it as new, and started and ran well

Handy to have a genuine manual but you don't need one for simple things like the impeller. A downloaded manual from read manual . com will do for that.

yep, water pump is pretty easy on almost all outboards, no manual will tell you about drilling broken stainless bolts out of coroded alloy though! (hint)

When buying a 2 stroke i'd always be told to prime the bulb till it felt hard....but i reckon a bit less priming than most do helps( ie only a few squeezes and never more than when it feels firm), then crank it for maybe 4-5 secs, if it coughs a bit she's ok but then let it rest for 30 secs, then one v.slight squeeze of the bulb only, then crank again and they always seemed to fire up easier and less angry. Dunno why. Probably just a dumb habit i got into. Must have that oil mix right and new plugs after the crap is out.

Yep have to agree. 25:1 is for a second hand victa and thats how it'll run. Just like a second hand victa

nothing wrong with a Victa! (joke)