View Poll Results: What is your favourite rod and reel brand?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

228 51.47%
  • Diawa

103 23.25%
  • Okuma

10 2.26%
  • Pfluger

10 2.26%
  • Alvey

23 5.19%
  • Penn

17 3.84%
  • Abu garcia

16 3.61%
  • Quantum

3 0.68%
  • Sage

2 0.45%
  • Other

31 7.00%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Re: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Get real mate. I take your statement is based on something you read in a mag. I have built on many 100s of loomis blanks and I can tell you for sure they are not what they use to be. The day Shimano took over the blanks went down the shita. There are far better blanks than Loomis these days mate.
    Lot of bling on the market.. Are you meaning me?
    I own 4 G Loomis rods, 3 Garry Howards, and a Few Daiwas.

MY comments are not based on magazines at all.

I also notice you say "blanks", and I am sure you know there is a bit more to a rods design for intended use than the blank alone, I just find Gloomis always get it right and make some awesome all rounder spin sticks.

As far as price goes I have never bought one in Australia as they often go for $200 more than the US price.

At Aussie prices they are asking a bit much, for what they are, considering many just have the stock grips reel seat and guides.

Dan

Its called price gouging in Australia. You know, when an Australian tackle mob lands an agency for a product that is also used in the manufacture of that product and then offers the same part to other rod builders at a massive inflated price often 10% less than what there built up rods retail for. Yet they jump up and down when people buy from overseas, wankers. I refuse to support these mobs on principal, screw the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Its called price gouging in Australia.........
    A bit off subject,I was quoted $140 for a yamaha swingarm chain guide/protector and a three week wait.......I got a genuine OEM part out of England for $49.50 AUD delivered......and it took six days.I'm with you,screw them.Then you've got the likes of Gerry Harvey screaming bloody murder over everyone doing him out of money.We've got a real problem in this country and it's not the retailer (in most cases).

Stuart I assume you mean Fuji parts. Same company is about to put up the Gammas by 30%.

I've got a TLD-25 I use for trolling that I absolutely love, however I've got a Daiwa BW35 for bottom bashing that I love too.. for fly fishing though it would have to be sage, although I've found a cheaper label albright that make some outstanding rods for the price and servicable reels (non-drag fly fishing so small tarpon up north, rainbow trout etc down south). haven't tried their drag fly reels.

Well.......
    Shimano make good treadlie gears. and that's about it. They too complex inside..(too many bits)

Daiwa Baitcasters the best.. and serious fishing...Penn Inter's. Everol or Dual
    Eggbeaters. The Daiwa again I would think. My Capricorn 4500j is a nice one.

About the only things I buy in this country nowadays is braid and hooks\line.
    Mainly my braid comes from Chark though, Prespooled on reels.

I do not know what all the rest of you think but for me there are to many models of rods and reels between the big two players in the tackle game. I do not believe there is a great deal of difference between many models the manufactures produce. Yes there is a difference between to most expensive and the cheapest but there is a plethora of models in the middle with mostly the same specs. Choice has become confusing for both rods and reels and it must be a nightmare for retailers to stock all the models in their different sizes. Perhaps if they concentrated their efforts into a line up of 4 or 5 models covering both ends of the purchase price spectrum they could conserve manufacturing costs and either lower prices or provide a better quality product at that price point...............I think i am dreaming.
    Regards to all Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Sevric View Post

Perhaps if they concentrated their efforts into a line up of 4 or 5 models covering both ends of the purchase price spectrum they could conserve manufacturing costs and either lower prices or provide a better quality product at that price point...............I think i am dreaming.
    Agree with that.
    I go the top baitcasters for Barra. Daiwa Black Sheep. SW etc.
    Penn Torque 200. Accurate and Daiwa Saltiga for Jigging. and Mainly Inters and a coupla old Italian Everol game reels for trolling.
    with the rods though. I've stuck mainly to Shimano Tournament. Wilson Live fibre (They do a beaut 6kg Baitcaster.) and Live fible Sticks for trolling. Oh and a coupla V-Fox jiggers. they nice too.

A mate put me on to a dealer of the new style Chinese built rods recently.
    Finish as good as local, better than some. Iffy runners and Mainly composite blanks.
    I've bought a few for self and granddaughters. and they bloody good sticks.
    Only got a jigger and couple of popper sticks so far. price.
    Shhh $14.50 for cheapest $27.60 for dearest. plus freight. If runners play up I'll just rebind better ones on. But so far.
    They good enuff I'm running a Saltiga z40 on one for Spanno's. Cobe. and Tuna.and Saltiga 50 lever 2spd on other for Mainly Sails and the small Marlin up here..
    Daughter using one i bought her with my Penn Torque 200 40lb braid on it.
    All are happy.

These dealers with their mark ups and importers better look out. Like the Koreans and Thai's. The Chinese manufacturing QUALITY is improving.
    Look at the new Jigging reels...JM etc.

Personally I will be looking at the cheaper end of the spectrum in future, I have done two 400 dollar rods in car doors now (actually one in a rear wagon hatch and the other in an automatic window), and like others have said I just cannot see the worth in a general rod and reel for whiting bream and flathead.
    The LOX range of rods looks pretty good to me for estuary work.
    Not a bad style of rod, bit exy but good.
    I have a Gary Howard Gforce and from memory it is only 2-4kg , but it would take a big estuary fish to put any hurt on it.
    Same with a Mossyback 10lb , put a good reel on it and your really just skulling a 70cm flathead.

I am looking cheaper and lighter in future.

Dan

That is an interesting point you raise Dan. The are some areas of my fishing where the gear seems to get more unintentional rough but treatment. I went through several top of the line graphite/carbon rods fishing baits for Snapper in the dark. Hell knows how much this cost me but these days i use very successfully a cheap $60 Shimano offering that is some kind of glass graphite composite. It is as tough as nails and will no doubt see my remaining Snapper days out (with a bit of luck). There are some places however that the expensive light weight rods and reels just fall into their own such as Bass fishing or fishing Bream / Flathead with plastics; they are simply so much better. At this point i have resisted the urge to upgrade my surf rods to the top shelf stuff; i have seen way to much of it damaged getting to the beach.
    Regards to all Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Sevric View Post
    That is an interesting point you raise Dan. The are some areas of my fishing where the gear seems to get more unintentional rough but treatment. I went through several top of the line graphite/carbon rods fishing baits for Snapper in the dark. Hell knows how much this cost me but these days i use very successfully a cheap $60 Shimano offering that is some kind of glass graphite composite. It is as tough as nails and will no doubt see my remaining Snapper days out (with a bit of luck). There are some places however that the expensive light weight rods and reels just fall into their own such as Bass fishing or fishing Bream / Flathead with plastics; they are simply so much better. At this point i have resisted the urge to upgrade my surf rods to the top shelf stuff; i have seen way to much of it damaged getting to the beach.
    Well in the Australian surf I think glass will always have its place.
    I see that a certain overseas store is selling Daiwa balistic surf rods at 50% off, so I am thinking they are not selling too well for the high price they ask in the first place.

Dan

For rods i make my own. Reels i cant complain about Shimano

I use Silstar Crystal Powertips for a long time . I dont know if they are the best but they yet to let me down so why change ? Reasonably priced too . Just looking at the rods i prepared for tomorrow ,there is 2 Okumas and a Shimano overhead reel ready to rock & roll.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

I think it comes down to "what you pay is what you get". I find that cheap bottom range stuff use cheap material/component that tend to fall off, break off, crack or rust after a few use. It is ok if you only fish with it once or twice a year, but I think it worth spending a bit extra on something that is good quality that will last.

I have been using mostly shimano rods, but recent acquired a Ryobi rod. I thought Ryobi is a power tool and lawn mower company. I didn't know they have expanded into fishing. I was sceptical at first, but after using it in the last few outings, I was quite impressed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmonaire View Post
    I think it comes down to "what you pay is what you get". I find that cheap bottom range stuff use cheap material/component that tend to fall off, break off, crack or rust after a few use. It is ok if you only fish with it once or twice a year, but I think it worth spending a bit extra on something that is good quality that will last.

I have been using mostly shimano rods, but recent acquired a Ryobi rod. I thought Ryobi is a power tool and lawn mower company. I didn't know they have expanded into fishing. I was sceptical at first, but after using it in the last few outings, I was quite impressed by it.

Ryobi has actually been in the tackle game for a very long time and at one stage were regarded worldwide as one of the largest tackle companies. They just never bothered with the Australian market and probably thought it was too small to be worthwhile. It's not until you go overseas that you realise just how many brands are out there and it aint just Daiwa and Shimano...

Regards
    H