Thread: New Light/Medium setup

New Light/Medium setup

Hey Fisho's,

New to the forum, thanks for all the helpful information.....it's been a great read so far.

It's been many years since I've been recreationally fishing, last serious fishing was light gear fishing for trout when living in Northwest USA.

Now back in Sydney, I'm looking at setting up my wife and myself with a light/medium combo for fishing river, estuary and some rockwall/breakers from time to time. We will purchase an Alvey setup for surf/beach fishing however your help/feedback on the light/medium setup I'm thinking of would be appreciated.

Rod: Berkley Dropshot light/medium 7' (2 piece) 3-6kg.
    Reel: Shimano Sienna 2500FD spin

Is this a good setup for us both do you think? Appreciate your feedback/input along with line I'll need.

We will want to use bait & soft plastics.

Thanks guys/gals.

Cheers,
    Trent

Re: New Light/Medium setup

With a 2500 sized Shimano I would chuck it on a 2-4kg rod. It will be a better alround soft plastic and bait outfit. I'm pretty sure the 2500 and 3000 Siennas weigh the same sothe 3000 might give you a bit more line if a big one comes your way
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks Horse, will take that on. I haven't seen a 3000 anywhere as yet, only the 1000/2500 & 4000. Do you mean 4000 as that I assume will be too big for light gear, or is it a 3000 in a different model?

Cheers

Your right Trent, the Sienna only comes in a 2500 and thats the way I would go. I personally would be investing a little more in the reel side of the equation. You can land a Saros 3000 for under $120.00 and they are going to perform significantly better than the budget Sienna. There are also a variety of combos available at the big chain tackle stores that will do the job for between $100-$200 per outfit
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeah as the guys have mentioned, 2-4kg dropshot mates perfectly with a 2500 reel for the estuaries and light reef work.
    3000 size reels for a 3-6kg dropshot is a slightly heavier class, I would opt for the 2-4 though.
    Upgrade the Sienna to a Symetre or Saros for a longer lasting reel that will serve you better.

The 2-4kg setup will shine with a good 8lb braid and the 3-6 suits 12lb braid perfectly. Braids differ a lot on useability, some being wiry and some being like silk.....a matter of preference for the user.......fireline is a little wiry and Powerpro is soft and silky, both good lines with completely different characteristics. Both are relatively cheap and good to work out what type you prefer.

I would opt for the 2-4 over the 3-6 for the estuary.
    Jack.

There are a couple of suitable combos in the latest BCF cattle dog
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks guys. Will the 2500 and 2-4kg be heavy enough for breakwall/Jetty also or would I need something heavier?

The Symetre comes in the 3000 I see also.

Does anyone know the difference in the Symetre FI Spin 2500 and the regular Symetre Spin 2500? The FI is $50 more and seems to be more weather/rust resistant but other than that not really sure......it looks like a nice setup.

I'm thinking the Symetre FI 2500 and the 2-4kg drop shot would be a nice setup for me, if its solid enough as mentioned for the above.

Cheers.

P.S. I'll check out the catalogue at BCF, Horse.

I have the Symetre 1000 on a berkley dropshot 2-4 (now a 2piece, be careful with rods) and my symetre is about 4+ years old, it was out before the FI i think, its taken absolute punishment and still lives.
    I also have a Daiwa Aird 2500/3000 on a Shimano raider 2-4kg as being a land based fisho in mackay i wanted something a bit oversized i could put bigger braid on to handle a few snags, both a great setups, and if you can get them on sale, both for under $300 ex braid. the 2-4kg rod is much better at picking up anything that could be at the end of your line, much more sensitive, i would rather fish anything with the 2-4kg rod and just back drag off so i have better feel of what is going on

Looks like the Symetre is a good option then. Besides general good care of rods and respecting them, is the drop shot quite delicate in snapping/breaking as you mention yours is now a 2 piece? What happened?

Cheers

Like any high modulus graphite rod.....avoid high sticking.
    I have 5 dropshots and give them plenty of curry, yet to break one but have watched mates blow theirs up high sticking 3 times now. Always high sticking and usually when landing a fish or breaking a snag.
    Jack.

I'm pretty sure when I put it through the window of my car i did the window up too high and it pinched it. When I went to cast the next time it snapped. They are unlike glass rods which can take punishment. I've snapped 2 rods from just handling them wrong. One I put my weight on while camping and snapped(was hidden under clothes) . The other was as i mentioned. But they are alot more sensitive to feel while fishing.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards the Symetre reel and now the Pflueger Trion 2-4kg 2 piece.

What's your impression of the Trion over the Dropshot?

There's just too much candy in the candy shop to make a choice 😛

I've had a trion which I broke (my fault) and the drop shot. (again broke, my fault again..) and now the raider soft plastic. All great rods,great feel to them . I think I prefer to cork burrs tho. I just like mixing things up to try different things. All around the 110-140 mark. If you have a tackle world, I suggest to go there over anywhere else. Or even a compleat angler.

Whoops, Butts*

Trion is ahead of the Gen4 Drophots (reddish brown version) I think. I can load up a trion much more heavily than the dropshots, but then again I don't fish my dropshots that hard either.
    Trions lend themselves a little better at working plastics a little faster, dropshots lean towards finesse a tad more.
    Either way you will not be disappointed.
    Ask for the best deal on both.....they might drop one more than the other.
    Jack.