View Poll Results: What is your favourite rod and reel brand?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

228 51.47%
  • Diawa

103 23.25%
  • Okuma

10 2.26%
  • Pfluger

10 2.26%
  • Alvey

23 5.19%
  • Penn

17 3.84%
  • Abu garcia

16 3.61%
  • Quantum

3 0.68%
  • Sage

2 0.45%
  • Other

31 7.00%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Re: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

weapons1.jpgweapons.jpg,,,,,,,,,,,,, reading through this thread,,,, I decided it was time to do the obligatory clean,,,, 1 bucket soapy water,,,, hose,,,, 2 stubbies in esky,,, 1 smoke

job done,,,,, i'll clean the rest tomorrow
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Over the past 6 years Ive gone through a few reels and a few rods and the only oldish rod still operational is my Shimano raider.Thou i have been using a TeamDaiwa RedBack 7 footer for the past couple years and hasn't missed a beat.But my Shimano Stradic performes effortlessly and have had no problems in the past couple years not even a thought of getting a new reel.(My Vote went to Shimano thou Daiwa do make some good tackle too.)

bron

G loomis make the best rods.

Why?

Because the models are built on SPECIFIC experience and stand the test of time.

I have one that has had the tip snapped off it and I still use it a lot, why?
    Because it handles the fish and big ones, no probs.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    G loomis make the best rods.

Why?

Because the models are built on SPECIFIC experience and stand the test of time.

I have one that has had the tip snapped off it and I still use it a lot, why?
    Because it handles the fish and big ones, no probs.

Dan
    Love the blanks (IMX / GLX - some of the blends) - but they can suffer from poor build quality ...... built off the spine / incorrect number of guides or poorly spaced.
    I've owned / own 7 loomis rods ...... 3 had faults - 2 of the 7 have been exceptional - though for the price you can do better ......... just my opinion .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Love the blanks (IMX / GLX - some of the blends) - but they can suffer from poor build quality ...... built off the spine / incorrect number of guides or poorly spaced.
    I've owned / own 7 loomis rods ...... 3 had faults - 2 of the 7 have been exceptional - though for the price you can do better ......... just my opinion .

Chris
    I sold my IMX, too flimsy.

I have a Mossyback and a GL3.

Dan

Just bought a G Loomis 10 ft surf rod IMX.

about $250 cheaper than a AU purchase, Icast display rods.

I am sure I will have no qualms with the rod, unlike Shimano rods and other rod brands, G loomis are built for results, love em.

I think this thread is about reels, noone has really touched on rods.
    Dan

Overall Shimano I think bring out very good products all round in Australia. Daiwa I believe produce many more products globally and they are more innovative but sometimes i feel their gear is a little bit too fancy in design and they should stick more to the basics.

For fishing rods I cant go past Hearty Rise - the rods need to be seen to be believed absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I think pretty hard to buy here in Australia though i would think.

IMX and GLX are not the be all to end all.GLoomis have some fantastic blanks but are far from the best.As Nagg said their build can be crap.That hasnt stopped me buying them though.
    The reality is different horses for different courses.
    I have a 5'4" GL2 that outcasts the same barra and jack lures that a 6'0 IMX baitcaster will.Flatter and further and loads up much better.
    There is a lot of cheap stuff out there now that ticks all the boxes and some.

Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy_again View Post
    IMX and GLX are not the be all to end all.GLoomis have some fantastic blanks but are far from the best.As Nagg said their build can be crap.That hasnt stopped me buying them though.
    The reality is different horses for different courses.
    I have a 5'4" GL2 that outcasts the same barra and jack lures that a 6'0 IMX baitcaster will.Flatter and further and loads up much better.
    There is a lot of cheap stuff out there now that ticks all the boxes and some.

Toddy
    tell em about ya fav lizard rod

Quote Originally Posted by SWANO1 View Post
    tell em about ya fav lizard rod

Hahaha...Well...out of the 4 rods that come flatty fishing with me the rods alone cost around the $1500 mark(pretty shameful really) and the one that gets the most use is a Rovex Energy 7 foot 3-6kg thing worth a bit over a $100.Its a cracking rod for 4" plastics and 1/4-3/8 oz weight.

Its made me rethink what rods I buy a lot.

Toddy

Interesting comments re loomis being built off the spine,took this up with the rep once and was informed that they (the casting models anyway) are built at 90 degrees to the spine to deliver maximum energy transfer during casting.....all mine are at 90 deg.
    As far as reels go,any Shimano with worm drive oscilation will outlast most other reels,Daiwa included, when it comes to long term heavy use....just my observation.

Loomis use to be good blanks, you cant keep riding on a name for ever. Loomis progressed there brand and models due to rod builders and fisheman, not loomis themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Loomis use to be good blanks, you cant keep riding on a name for ever. Loomis progressed there brand and models due to rod builders and fisheman, not loomis themselves.
    Biggest problem these days is finding a fish worthy of testing them.

Dan

Get real mate. I take your statement is based on something you read in a mag. I have built on many 100s of loomis blanks and I can tell you for sure they are not what they use to be. The day Shimano took over the blanks went down the shita. There are far better blanks than Loomis these days mate.

To answer the OP, you get jack for jack......ya want quality ya got to pay for it..figure in the manu's take...the wholesaler's take.....the retailer's take......custom, direct and small-scale manus are suddenly looking better value for your $..........IMHO.