View Poll Results: What is your favourite rod and reel brand?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

228 51.47%
  • Diawa

103 23.25%
  • Okuma

10 2.26%
  • Pfluger

10 2.26%
  • Alvey

23 5.19%
  • Penn

17 3.84%
  • Abu garcia

16 3.61%
  • Quantum

3 0.68%
  • Sage

2 0.45%
  • Other

31 7.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Re: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

what a horrible argument, Daiwa clearly wins

Quote Originally Posted by dan1990 View Post
    what a horrible argument, Daiwa clearly wins
    I hope you are going to tell us why.

I think Daiwa and Shimano win the marketing awards, not necessarily the "best of" awards.

FWIW.... the best rods I have ever used are the ones I have built myself.

Using the best available blanks, guides, reel seats, grips, butts, thread, glues and epoxy and I get a truely custom wrap. Best thing is actually using something YOU made and having that rod do exactly the job it was intened for. Obvioulsy made a couple of boo boo's early on, but now have a very good armoury.

Nothing beats a custom rod.......

Reels..................

depends on the purpose... why has no one mentioned THE best offshore reels ?

http://www.alutecnos.it/page.php?pageid=CATFA001

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    FWIW.... the best rods I have ever used are the ones I have built myself.

Using the best available blanks, guides, reel seats, grips, butts, thread, glues and epoxy and I get a truely custom wrap. Best thing is actually using something YOU made and having that rod do exactly the job it was intened for. Obvioulsy made a couple of boo boo's early on, but now have a very good armoury.

Nothing beats a custom rod.......

Reels..................

depends on the purpose... why has no one mentioned THE best offshore reels ?

http://www.alutecnos.it/page.php?pageid=CATFA001

cheers LP
    Because no one can read the website.....

Hi

Phil it must be satisfying to make your own rods and the Reel page is in Italian.
    For those of you that can't read it Google has an app that will translate it to English. look and sound impressive.

Ronnie

Depends on the context for me. For game, can't go past Shimano or Penn. For smaller speedsters, I reckon the above, as well as Pfleuger and Diawa. Beach, can't beat the resilience of an alvey. Bread and butter estuary - any! Hell, my niece's 13 dollar &mart Jarvis Walker outfit catches me tea all the time!

Cuzza

I lke Shimano spinning reels and own a range of reels from Alivios to Stradics that have served me well and believe that Shimano offer reliable reels that are functional and enjoyable to use for a reasonable price. They are relatively simple to service and maintain and provide a reel at just about every price point. Reputationally, Shimano are like the Toyota of the fishing tackle world, but you can always spend the extra and get a Lexus i.e.the Stella.

Silly question there are too many good reels and rods out there.My new toy Zeebaas right hand wind is best right now along with stella"s ,saltigas accurates van staals and even ryobi metalroyal in spinning.Duels, accurates, torsa's in overheads. Rods lets forget that one toooooooo hard except for the customs i make for myself hmmmm not bad even the spiral wrapped 15-24kg seeker.
    Very few of the top brands are better than one another they are better suited to different uses thats all.Aren"t many brands i haven"t used but havent used tuff tackle yet and probably wont.
    Get over it its personal choice.
    IMO Graham

Shimano offer reliable reels that are functional and enjoyable to use for a reasonable price.
    I dont care if its winds itself in theres no way i would ever buy a stella for $760.00

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    I dont care if its winds itself in theres no way i would ever buy a stella for $760.00
    Bloody hell . It would have to cook me breakfast in the morning for that sort of money .
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Bloody hell . It would have to cook me breakfast in the morning for that sort of money .
    Shawn
    Shite it would have to do more than just cook breakfast....

I have found that it is a holden or ford thing. I own both brands in shimano and daiwa especially stellas and saltigas. Both made extremely well ( and so they should for the money). They both differ in spool capacity and drag pressure. I also own van staal reels which are top quality but around half the price of shimano/daiwa. I know that everyone cannot afford/justify stellas and saltigas or even van staal, BUT if you buy the best you can afford, you will enjoy your fishing a lot better without the stress of having cheaper gear let you down. And it will when you don't want it too. I have had it happen to me over 40+ yrs of fishing hence why i buy what i buy.
    That's my 2c worth.

Dudley i second that motion!!
    Graham

i have about 6 shimano spin reels never have any probs and they all get flogged. Just recently bough a quantum catalyst ci30 and for the money its brilliant. I also have a quantum spin reel my dad bought for me when i was about 7 or 8, 20 years on it still works as good as new, only ever replaced the handle got bent when i fell off my bike years ago.