View Poll Results: What is your favourite rod and reel brand?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

228 51.47%
  • Diawa

103 23.25%
  • Okuma

10 2.26%
  • Pfluger

10 2.26%
  • Alvey

23 5.19%
  • Penn

17 3.84%
  • Abu garcia

16 3.61%
  • Quantum

3 0.68%
  • Sage

2 0.45%
  • Other

31 7.00%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Re: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    shimano grea all the way..and to find the fish definitelt need a humminbird sounder..and if you are pushed along by a ETEC, what more could you ask for?
    A Suziki

Quote Originally Posted by .:::stotty:::. View Post
    This is also what I thought at one point Chris.

I used to own all daiwa products, zillions, alphas r's, blacksheeps ect. But they are all great reels until you fish an entire season with one, I have broken 3 zillions now and 2 alphas's. 2 zillions the main gear started stripping itself or something like that I was explained and it had so much backplay. The alphas r's where just terrible after a while.

Now I own a 200calcutta dc, core 100mg, core 50mg, stella 3000 and soon a 5000stella. The core's are amazing, they are light, they would be the best casting reel I have ever used, out performs the DC anyday. They are great to use all day.

The calcutta 200dc is a big reel, but it so powerful and solid I dont mind pushing it or throwing it around on the boat or on landbased sessions, matched up with a megabass destroyer broom stick of a rod it is now my favorite jack combo.

Everyone should feel and consider a Shimano core before looking into something else, I would buy a 3rd one if I ever need another bc.
    That's a bad run on the Zillions & Alphas ..... not good at all. I did destroy my HLC when I engaged the gears just when a big barra charged off after free spooling it ( just bad timing I guess) - but every other Zillion have gone fine
    I had a Metanium Mg - (which is the the JDM version of the Core) ...... It was a pretty decent casting reel though I noticed a lot of wear & play after some solid bass sessions . I got rid of it when I bought my Steez 103. (shame it is not a salt water reel)
    I've gone right away from drum type baitcasters - but have used a couple of Conquest DC & Calcutta DCs ...... they were ok but just felt too heavy to use all day ( I feel the same about the Daiwa Pluton).

Anyhow always good to hear of someones personal experiences with tackle .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    I have a lot of Daiwa stuff but hate their baitcasters has I don't like the drags. I own all Shimano baitcasters but it will be interesting with the lastest models being built cheaper.
    I've got quite a few baitcasters for bass
    12 Daiwa and 3 Shimano in fact, but my fav to use by far is my Shimano MG50.
    I prefer it over more expensive models from both brands and very glad I picked up a spare (still unused) while there were still a few around. I recon they're a fair bit better than the Shimano "Core" that replaced them too.

I've got quite a few spinning reels as well, can't afford anything high end, just up Sol and Sustain. I must say I do like my Sols, also have 1 Tierra 2000 that would be the smoothest reel I own. It's a bit of a mystery as the 3 other Tierras I have are very average reels but I guess that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

I would defy any rod builder to build me a baitcast rod that would match my Daiwa Zillion 631 for under $300 ...... let alone the $210 that I paid for it .

Chris
    Hi Chris, if you compaired apples with apples and consider your Zillion 631 came out of a factory in China, I recon if you found a custom rod builder over there you could get 4 rods of at least the same quality (and made to your specs) for your $210 Aus.
    Don't get me wrong the 631 is a great rod, but apples with apples.
    Cheers
    Mike D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Hi Chris, if you compaired apples with apples and consider your Zillion 631 came out of a factory in China, I recon if you found a custom rod builder over there you could get 4 rods of at least the same quality (and made to your specs) for your $210 Aus.
    Don't get me wrong the 631 is a great rod, but apples with apples.
    Cheers
    Mike D
    Actually , It is apples with apples Mike ....... forget the labour componant , I couldn't buy the blank (or similar) plus the other componants for that price. I think the kit for a NV7 Samurai is about $200 & that only comes with alconite guides..... not the stainless steel Fuji Sics that come on the Zillion - blank wise as a minimum standard you would be looking at a Samurai , IMX Loomis but more like a United composite blank. (That's what I'm referring to). I think there is an Aussie version of the Zillion & it retailed for over $400
    If a local rod builder was to build me something along the same line , I reckon I would be up for something fast approaching the $500 mark ......... but it would only be as good.

Here is the tackletour review of the Zillion baitcast rods - http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillionrod.html

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm not saying that they produce anything exceptional (barring the Steez range ) - but what they do produce are functional rods that meet a pricepoint .
    I would defy any rod builder to build me a baitcast rod that would match my Daiwa Zillion 631 for under $300 ...... let alone the $210 that I paid for it .

Chris
    So now the comparison is a Chinese factory made Zillion against a custom rod that has to be locally made using locally purchased blank and parts , well yes of course you're right Chris it won't get near your $210 Daiwa. But do you really believe thats apples to apples? I don't but we're all entitled to our opinions so it's all good.

BTW can you tell me who's making the Zillion blanks for Daiwa, I think St Croix were making the Steez blanks.
    Cheers
    Mike D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    So now the comparison is a Chinese factory made Zillion against a custom rod that has to be locally made using locally purchased blank and parts , well yes of course you're right Chris it won't get near your $210 Daiwa. But do you really believe thats apples to apples? I don't but we're all entitled to our opinions so it's all good.

BTW can you tell me who's making the Zillion blanks for Daiwa, I think St Croix were making the Steez blanks.
    Cheers
    Mike D
    What I am trying to say is that for $210 - I can buy a rod that would be better than any $300 locally made rod (probably $400). -I'll qualify that by Having made my own rods over the years & having had custom rods made for me - or bought semi custom rods ( millers , howard , Egrell) - I can look any one in the eye & say - "this is a awesome rod" ... . not just because of the price but of the blank design , build quality & componants used. Even sourcing componants globally from the likes of acid rods - I would struggle to get the guides & grips / winch fitting & decent blank.
    I might do the exercise ($190 ish - no freight)

Chris

PS - Not sure about the Daiwa blanks - but I thought they built there own in several factories around the world
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have mainly Shimano but also have Diawa and Abu - I prefer to have Shimano reels as they have never failed me. However I have two Diawa Spinning reels and they have handled use and abuse for over five years without complaint. The Abus I have had for over 20 years - yes they were made in Sweden and whilst they have not failed they are getting dated and the newer reels run rings around them. I still use them for Live Baiting but little else.

Rods I have many and varied and generally don't look for a particular brand, I looks for what I need.
    Stan

I am not addicted to buying fishing gear - I just need more than I can afford

Despite appropriate care after use e.g. warm water wash, dry, spray with anti corrosion agent such as inox and a regular service regime , all my Shimano reels have corrosion on them at various points and to various degrees.This after only a couple of years of low to moderate use.
    To me, that is a crap piece of machinery and reeks of designed failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshwater Tragic View Post
    Just brought a new combo yesterday , ( Daiwa ) ,could not tell you the model number of reel or what the rod was branded with . It just " felt " right for me .
    Plus the reel was red , so automatically that makes it go faster .
    Shawn
    Has it got a wireless too?

Last weekend had a sleep over at Bribie and dragged the 10ft Jarvis Walker fibreglass surf rod with the fold down first guide out of moth balls, fitted the 600B Alvey side cast, a bit of lead, 3 gang an pilchard and it cast just as good if not better than the new rod with an egg beater on it.
    Now, how do I get it back off the missus
    The rod is about 36 years old and in top condition.

Who makes the best tackle? thats easy I do. Dont belive me then ask my mum.

Stu

followed closely by me, just ask stu,s mum

I had an Okuma Aquios for many years.

Turned out to be quite a solid reel, catching me large Jew, Threadfin and a large number of bloody huge rays.

I will be looking at them for my next bait reel.

I also have a Shimano Fireblood 2500 that over the years has turned out to be quite a tough little reel, punching well above its weight on many occasions.

Shimano for my trolling outfits and diawa for spinning and jig kit.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....