View Poll Results: What is your favourite rod and reel brand?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

228 51.47%
  • Diawa

103 23.25%
  • Okuma

10 2.26%
  • Pfluger

10 2.26%
  • Alvey

23 5.19%
  • Penn

17 3.84%
  • Abu garcia

16 3.61%
  • Quantum

3 0.68%
  • Sage

2 0.45%
  • Other

31 7.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

Re: Who makes the best fishing tackle?

popular or favourite?

popular would have to be shimano or arguably daiwa. That is the most popular with people.

my favourite - other for rods and probably daiwa or shimano in the reels. hard for me to decide really.

this is going to be a Shimano cake walk, just like the outboard poll where Yamaha was always going to win, ( as predicted by ME) the poll should have been run EXCLUDING Shimano and daiwa, as daiwa was always going to be a close(ish) second, people get confused by what is popular/common and what is the best, Shimano is by far the most common brand by a country mile, you can buy them in department stores and they have the "name" gained by advertising in TV shows and so on.

OK then what is more important the ROD or the REEL ??
    Should one spend more on the quality of the Rod or on the Reel ??

Sorry to add extra to the thread but thought it fitted in with the question.

Cheers
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    OK then what is more important the ROD or the REEL ??
    Should one spend more on the quality of the Rod or on the Reel ??

Sorry to add extra to the thread but thought it fitted in with the question.

Cheers
    Brett
    Equal but lean toward the rod ......... the best reel in the world would be crap on a broomstick ( we are talking casting outfits)
    If I buy a quality reel - I like to match it with a a rod that is just as good if not better .........

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I find a good rod will compliment an average reel but a good reel doesn't do much for an average rod.

The again in saying that a good drag is an advantage when the rod is been pushed.

So simply.. I don't know.

yeah, the rod is a very individual thing, whereas a reel can be suited to a whole range of people and fishing situations, as an example, I like a very fast taper on my rods, and tend to fish the rod with a heavier line than intended (if you get what I mean) so the rod is the bit to get right first, but n saying tat, there is no use spending a motza on a custom rod and fitting a $10 department store special on it either.

Whats the best in terms of what?
    ive caught 50ib jews on abu 7000s and 5kg macks on 2500 shimano twinpower both fantastic fun onthe gear i was using and both held up well.
    love the abu as its a perfect reel for chasing jews off the stones or flicking lures for taylor or kings.
    also the twinnys great for plasticking or throwing slugs for macks.
    have also got an old mitchell 408 but dont use it as its in mint condition.

Do you mean brands or manufacturers? Of that list only four actually manufacture their own reels. The others are just logos stamped on other manufacturers products.

The tackle industry is much like the car industry; they all copy from each other. What rods have been copied, well just about all of them have done this. My own situation back a few years ago I was selling my own bream sticks called “Bream tournament series". These where on custom blanks designed by me. I know no one was using this name and I sold heaps of these rods under that name. Then comes a long a tackle company name with held, and flogs my name for there own bream rods.

I got legal advice and yes what they did wasn’t right and I could go them and confidently win. I contacted the manager of this company and told him and he said well take me to court, I said when I catch up with you I will go one better mate. Another case not all that long ago, another very large tackle group starting with B and ending F decides in all its wisdom to call one of their rods a “Precision Boss Rod”. Hang on one minute, that’s my name, Precision Rods. Again I could take them to court and win easy, but yet again it’s going to cost me heaps. No wonder I was getting heaps of emails asking for warranty on broken Precision Boss Rods.

I took another company to task when I found out they wanted to copy one of my products, this time I didn’t hang back, I took action very quick and they backed down as quick. I know this is a rant but it does piss me off when these companies think because there shear size will win them any battle is crap. I have had plenty of designs of mine flogged by these dead brains. These boof heads actually think they come up with there own designs while sitting in the back of an office in the inner city, please. The small guy actually trials there stuff, designs from scratch so the customer has an absolute bullet proof product. It’s the small guy that is actually forced to keep ahead of the industry so we can show that we are innovative and not imitators like most are these days.

The current crop of crap is testament to that. You only need to go to the tackle trade show to see the shear amount of crap that they will be pushing for the next 12 months. Most of it is the same crap as last year’s models but with a different paint job. The importers in most cases wouldn’t have a clue and mostly just buy what they think should fit our situation in Australia or just follow the current trend. Again most of these people wouldn’t know crap from clay so they pay some personality to say “I use this Chinees crap because I’m being payed to say so”. Anyway I could rattle on for ages but you guys are probably thinking get some help Stu. I may just take my wifes advice soon and get out of the tackle game.

Hear what you are saying Stu, you put your heart and soul into a great product and get sold out easily and too often. You do need a thick skin to survive unscathed - good luck.

My favourite rod was a light weight composite developments blank I built into a beautiful little rod. Had it for a few decades till it went over board recently - that hurt.

The yanks do like the Van Staal and they look like the Penn Torque and I know looks are personal but I think they look like a turd in fishnet stockings, but one day I will buy one of those Penn reels to see if it is as good as the review or break it.

I have no favourite reel -I do look after my gear but do hate reels that break easily and some do. I am disappointed that some have not lived up to the price tag in performance or durability.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    The tackle industry is much like the car industry; they all copy from each other. What rods have been copied, well just about all of them have done this. My own situation back a few years ago I was selling my own bream sticks called “Bream tournament series". These where on custom blanks designed by me. I know no one was using this name and I sold heaps of these rods under that name. Then comes a long a tackle company name with held, and flogs my name for there own bream rods.

I got legal advice and yes what they did wasn’t right and I could go them and confidently win. I contacted the manager of this company and told him and he said well take me to court, I said when I catch up with you I will go one better mate. Another case not all that long ago, another very large tackle group starting with B and ending F decides in all its wisdom to call one of their rods a “Precision Boss Rod”. Hang on one minute, that’s my name, Precision Rods. Again I could take them to court and win easy, but yet again it’s going to cost me heaps. No wonder I was getting heaps of emails asking for warranty on broken Precision Boss Rods.

I took another company to task when I found out they wanted to copy one of my products, this time I didn’t hang back, I took action very quick and they backed down as quick. I know this is a rant but it does piss me off when these companies think because there shear size will win them any battle is crap. I have had plenty of designs of mine flogged by these dead brains. These boof heads actually think they come up with there own designs while sitting in the back of an office in the inner city, please. The small guy actually trials there stuff, designs from scratch so the customer has an absolute bullet proof product. It’s the small guy that is actually forced to keep ahead of the industry so we can show that we are innovative and not imitators like most are these days.

The current crop of crap is testament to that. You only need to go to the tackle trade show to see the shear amount of crap that they will be pushing for the next 12 months. Most of it is the same crap as last year’s models but with a different paint job. The importers in most cases wouldn’t have a clue and mostly just buy what they think should fit our situation in Australia or just follow the current trend. Again most of these people wouldn’t know crap from clay so they pay some personality to say “I use this Chinees crap because I’m being payed to say so”. Anyway I could rattle on for ages but you guys are probably thinking get some help Stu. I may just take my wifes advice soon and get out of the tackle game.
    So it's the name that is being copied / stolen - not the actual rod design .
    because unless they are using the same blank , guides , reel seat & spacings ...... it wouldn't be a copy -
    unless you were the first person to use a split grip or do an acid wrap - it would be pretty hard to claim anything as something unique .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Totally hear what your saying Stu.

I feel for you blokes with the ability, skill and knowledge to craft rods specifically to a purpose. I know of a couple of great rod builders that have been doing it longer than I have been alive. It is absolutely amazing what 'technicalities' go into rods, from quality of materials, rolling blanks, fittings...even heat tranfer in guides....I know F all really...but there are differences (subtle as they are) between rods that make them unique and YOUR DESIGN. !!!! its a total shame that these big mobs esentially 'knock off' poor quality imitations of YOUR designs, and then have the hyde to pinch your names etc.

Unforunatley the average punter cant tell the difference between these designs and a truely custom rod....and these companies prey on that.

As long as it has a spit grip these days, and some asian writing somewhere on it.....and the words 'tournament' mentioned somewhere, the masses will keep flocking....because the celebrities said so.

SO Stu, dont give up making your rods mate. I may have never used one, but I bet they are true quality. The fishing industry needs blokes like you carving the path.

Cheers Steve

PS; on topic..who makes the best gear???....its impossible to know. I have felt and played with a $1500 bass spin rod, made in Japan. Bloody nice too, but I love my Egrell bass spin rod too.....for 1/4 the price

Reels?? I like shimano and Daiwa.....some designs and models for each brand are better than others, and some are crap...from all stables.
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Gloomis don't do split grips do they?

Don't you dare until my rods are finished..LOL
    I'll vouch for Precision Rods..already got a couple and a couple more on order...top shelf gear.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    So it's the name that is being copied / stolen - not the actual rod design .
    because unless they are using the same blank , guides , reel seat & spacings ...... it wouldn't be a copy -
    unless you were the first person to use a split grip or do an acid wrap - it would be pretty hard to claim anything as something unique .

Chris
    I have had all of the above happen to me mate. My aunty is a patent and trade mark lawyer and she is my go to for advise. There are certain things Im automatically protected with in relation to my designs and my stand up game blanks.