Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water pressure cleaner

Water pressure cleaner

Hi all,

My Ryobi water pressure cleaner after about 5 years of service has died. It has been back 3 times over the course of its life to get fixed. I am sick of it and it will cost me more than its worth out of warranty now. It was about 2000psi in theory. It did a pretty good job at getting the concrete clean etc - I have a heap of concrete that need maintaining. The boat and boat trailer cop it when I come home also.

I was considering - http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/...ctCode=PPW2800

which is the petrol powered tradetools own brand.

Has anyone had experience with them? The pressure and flow rate equation look pretty good...

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Water pressure cleaner

My son in law has one of those exact models, I used it to clean our driveway removing the clear polyurethane sealant but leaving behind the stencilling. Worked very well indeed, fast and very good pressure, select the right nozzle for the application and away you go. Gets about 5 hours to a tank full of fuel.
    DO NOT use it whilst wearing thongs, its strong enough to slice the skin off your feet before you feel it. i shaved the side off my little toe and that pass removed part of the thong too. Did not feel a thing until i saw the red on the driveway, but that could be the intelligence of the user.
    Son in law also has a 5000 psi job......wouldn't have a clue what he would use that for??? It would expose 30 year old concrete to a pebble finish for sure.
    Jack.

You are good man Jack - thanks. How long has he had it and how much work has it done? I have had a good run with tradetools branded stuff - my large jackhammer is a favourite. I also have their framing gun (their original ones werent as good and I busted my first one). I have just bought their sabre saw for $108 on special. I have their V Twin Renegade - the largest before going 3 phase.

Sometimes the guys there will move you towards a brand name and sometimes the same guys will direct you towards their brand - I have found a couple of good blokes whose opinion seems sound. Have not asked them about their cleaners though.

Cheers and thanks

He has had it for about 8 months now, gets used most weeks for a few hours, prepping sites for work. So far no problems for him, I know for me it was first pull every time it started. Not that loud, but after three hours you really feel like shutting it down for a break.
    Jack.

i bought the karcher one same unit ,3 years ago ,ive only changed the oil in it once ,[out of sympothy].if it died tomorrow id buy another one.i figure at that price if you get 3 years out of it its good value.i use mine twice a week on the cars and then every 6 months on the house and concrete etc .

Yeppo - I have one, great unit and well priced against electric ones.

Like the boys have said, right nozzle and it does the job well - the detergent attachment works well too.

Cant fault it and whilst I propbably haven't had the same use out of it the other boys have I would buy another one tomorrow.

I bought that exact model last week. Used it twice for two lots of 15minutes and thought to my self:"I'll never buy one of those little electric heaps of shit again". Went to start it again and the pull starter wouldn't grab. Took it back and they replaced the unit on the spot. Have a few hours use on the second machine (boat, concrete, blood stained deck matt). The small issue with the original starter aside I love it. Make sure you get the Turbo head with it. Makes all the difference on the hard stuff.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey Ozscott,
    my brother has one of these units you are looking at and he swears by it, he is in the earth moving industry.
    I purchased a cleaner myself recently from Trade Tools and went (eventually) for the Lavor brand unit, 9hp petrol and delivers 16 l/min. Very happy with it but it cost more of course.
    I did have the Trade Tools 16Hp 11l/min unit but had problems with it, they offered me a full refund which i put towards the Lavor.
    My local Trade Tools staff are very obliging to deal with.
    Hope that helps.

Thank you very much gents. Great to get feedback from people who have them or know people who have them. I reckon for the money you cant go far wrong. The Ryobi I have is one of the largest electric ones - its made in Italy, but doesnt go like a Ferrari - you wont take skin off your foot, but it hurts.

Cant wait to get my hands on this little baby.

Cheers and thanks again for your assistance.

Scott, you can get electric machines that will have as much pressure as you like but the larger ones are 3 phase 415 volt and they are not cheap.
    I prefer to use lower pressure and heat to do the same job you will do with double the pressure ( cold water) and much less damage. I have a 2000 psi machine that heats up to 130 degrees, I mosly use at 95-100 , she goes through the diesel though. I use it to clean the driveway pavers, the house, tiles around the balconies and pool, 4WD's underbody and grease of car engines/car parts. 15 yo now still going good ( changed the seals once) and she has an Italian pump, the only other pumps to buy are from Taiwan, don't buy anything with Chinese pumps. Hot machines are much more expensive than cold machines.

Hi Scott

With the electric ones the pumps seem to last longer if you lock the trigger on and operate only off the electric switch. The guy who sold me my 5 series Karcher told me that even the metal pumps can fail if used the "normal way" ie with the trigger. So far, 4yrs, so good.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I have had 2 ShtiL Gerni's but I have gone and got myself a Karcher from Bunnings for $150 so far so good but when it dies I might try a Petrol one as I am sick of getting tangled up in cords.

I'm going out to put the plastic head plug & O ring back into my Chinese POS then cable tie the trigger.
    Thanks Chimo, I was about to chuck it out, maybe you saved me a new one.

I've been looking at this thread with interest.
    I've seen those machines and thought Mmmmm.
    The ones at Repco seem the exact same machines and they have specials with them occasionally with the trade account customers.

My wog mate brought a new pressure cleaner a little while ago.
    4000 PSI with a diesel burner on it. 15hp 3 phase motor on the sucker.
    Holly snapping duck poo's she's got some stripping power. Stripped the paint straight off the mudguard of Mrs Palmer it did
    You can actually feel it move you when you pull the trigger even if you stand with one leg back waiting for it.
    The machine is Australian made. I can't remember the brand but it comes in a big galvanised hut thingo on wheels.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I was at the mower mechanics place on wednesday.
    He does the small engine warranty work for the 3 Redland super duper elcheapo shops.

Counted 18 bright blue petrol pressure cleaners.
    Also 12 bright blue generators.

Turns out that is normal numbers for a week.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.