Thread: Best Whiting rig

Best Whiting rig

G'day.

I have just gotten into fishing in Brisbane with my young fella and we are starting out small with the whiting.

Using live bloodworms we get plenty of nibblers but not too many fish. I understand this is quite normal with the little ones picking. But we went through 4 bloodworms the other day for about 6 fish. However the two hours we were there (until all bait used up) the bites were constant and when they stopped we knew the bait was gone.

We are using a #6 mustad long shank hook on a arm length tracer back up to a swivel and above that a size 1 or 2 running sinker.

Would be interested to hear if anyone saw problems with this? Are we just fishing in area with too many small fish?

Are attractor beads worth a go???

Also, how do I rig a second hook onto the above rig? I tried attaching a second trace of a shorter length of the swivel and it was just a total mess. Kept winding itself around the main trace and sinker. Ended up giving it away and gong back to one hook.

I have tried the SQUIDGIES Blood worm with S factor oil to no success and was wondering if others had experienced differently or not?

Cheers,

Jason

Re: Best Whiting rig

Are you boat fishing and where are you trying?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Rig sounds good, use very small swivel, (Shogun make some nice ones, very small, tiny), maybe shorten the leader to about 40cm (doubt that would increase catch rate, just a bit easier to handle).

Go light, about 6lb.

Personally I do not rate the Brisbane area for whiting, not like the ones down south.

You can rig 4cm of red tube above the hook.

Mate if it is nibbling on a size 6 hook and not getting hooked, its too bloody small anyway.

Fishing around nudgee beach. Using 5LB line.

Will I do better on yabby's? I have obviously seen the effect the bloodworms have but can also see that their soft bodies allow for them to be picked off the hook from all angles.

Will small fish still pick away at a yabby?

If anything they will pick a Yabbie faster but if you pump your own then its not an issue. I'm pretty sure you will get some Summer whiting with the rig you have been using. Landbased I like a rising tide and probably a month or two later in the year. The flats off Sangate can produce some good fish especially at night
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Definately keen to give yabby pumping a go. Are the flats at sandgate on low tide worth a look?