Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: barra in the nerang?

Re: barra in the nerang?

Hi Pilgrim I just spoke to the marine biologists at work to confirm what I knew and none of them have heard anything other than the standard barramundi lates calcarifer
    from my own research they did range into northern nsw when us whiteys arrived here
    The Mary Burrum system has direct sea access and as of the latest tagging info quite a number of fish tagged in the Gladstone area have been caught as far south as the Maroochy river
    so that suggests when ever there has been major flooding in the years before studies that some numbers definitely headed south
    some systems that are totally isolated from all other system have slightly different strains which develop small differences but they still one hundred percent lates calcarifer
    i have caught them in most parts of coastal Queensland, NT, WA. NewGuinea and they are all the same species
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Mate of mine on Gold Coast says catch and release boys fishing for Jacks have caught and released 3 Barra in the last months in the upper Nerang. If they are under the Bribie bridge why not down here??

My grandfather worked on wivenhoe dam when it was built and they used to catch barra on live bony bream in their spare time in the brisbane river.
    The last crock was shot in the logan in the 70's and they live in the same water.
    There are breeding populations in the mary.
    I have heard reports of barra being caught in sydney harbour?

I think the last confirmed Croc in the Logan was back in 1905. The local Barra population in SEQ is big enough that a couple of locals target them each year. There is a lot of water between each fish but they are in SEQ. Noosa had a few being caught in the 70s and 80s and even more now
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Me and a mate both got one on the goldy this year when fishing for jacks. One on a livey and one on a walk the dog lure. Ben

A mate of mine said he got a 110cm barra at Pikenbah the other week but it got taken by a croc before he got it to the boat and he didn't have his camera ready so he couldn't get a photo and prove it, but it must be true because my mate wouldn't lie to me.

Here is mine from the goldy marto78. Diddn't see any crocs. Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch! Nice one mate