Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: barra in the nerang?

Re: barra in the nerang?

first of all if they are there and it is saltwater then they can breed they will move through a system to find the right salinity levels
    secondly how in hell could they do any damage at all to any system?
    they only eat to live, they don't catch more than they need so they can feed the rellies or give away to the neighbours or sell on the black.
    they won't make the slightest difference to any other species especially stuff like jacks because everywhere barras are there are already jacks and besides they are originally native to most of the coastal rivers in Qld
    don't let temperatures put you off because we have been getting a few lately around Rocky in water 17c
    if you guys are lucky enough to have a population down there good luck to ya it is a good thing
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Couple of guys caught a whopper in the Brisbane river about 15 months ago, caught on a Thready-Buster if I am not mistaken.

This was in the Sunshine Coast daily june 2010

randell
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is from Skinners Boat Ramp Logan River.
    I cant prove it because there are no land marks but I took the photo about 2 or 3 weeks ago on my phone.
    ToddyAttachment 70614

Here's an old tread from AUSFISH archives, barra all over the place..................
    a good read
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc...p/t-78545.html
    randell

All true about nerang Guy was on 9 news and in the paper ....one of those tank fish released.

Barras also reside in the Bribie passage and its feeder creeks, know of over 10 that have been caught in there in the past 40 yrs. One mate has scored two alone.
    Jack.

great post IFISHCQ2 im with you!itd be a great thing!

sorry toddy i cant view your file can u email me this picture skindog101@hotmail.com cheers

hi all,
    a lot of this could be related to global warming. as the temperatures become warmer we will see more tropical fish moving down the coast and quite possibly see some of our "normal" species move further south away from us. these sorts of things have already been witnessed overseas. i saw a doco not too long back on the new species discovered in the red sea and species that are now no longer there. we may expect to see fewer snapper as they head further south but then we may also start to see more red emperor, coral trout and red throats down this way. might even be able to catch banana prawns all year round? and who says global warming is bad? bring it on i say.
    davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Barra have always been around the logan, coomera and now nerang rivers, but in very small numbers. My theory is that they move with the warmer currents that only come with La Nina weather patterns, so we wont see em this year with El Nino back.

Crocs have been found in the Logan, so why not barra?

How many fishos do you know who target barra in the GC rivers? None. Thats why they arent caught in numbers.The pro who nets the top of the river at Coomera isnt going to be in a hurry to tell you about a barra he got, but I can tell you it happened.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

I was at the Gem Bait and Tackle the other day and I saw that someone has caught a 5kg Barra in the Logan River, I guess that Mick from the Gem will put the photo of it in the next QLD fishing Monthly.

I have now seen barra caught in the pine, the noosa... even one in a cast net off woody point. More recently, in QFM (october i think), a bloke is holding one up outside Gem Bait n Tackle at Jacobs Well caught in the Logan.

Historical accounts of early settlers to the Brisbane region (John Oxley etc.) have comments describing a fish which sounds a lot like a barra being caught up to the fresh water reaches of the Brisbane River. They were fished out fairly early on as they were reputed to be easy to catch in large numbers. The boffins think that the Brisbane river was once part of the barra's natural range.

It would be unlikely that the DPI would ever release Barra on the Gold Coast, due to the translocation policy, (Only fish that occur naturally in the system can be stocked). I knew a guy years ago who ran several prawn and fish farms for the seafood industry, and he spoke of a separate species of Barra more tolerant of colder water. The normal Barra is Lates calcarifer, where this strain is supposed to be Lates Cavafrons. Which is supposed to be the strain found in the Mary- Burrum systems. Don't know how much truth there is in it.