Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little work on the Paternoster rig

Re: A little work on the Paternoster rig

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Paulus, I stopped using the albright cause it failed a few times and moved to the slim beauty which has also had a couplke of failures but seems a little better. Mainline 50lb braid and leader 60/80lb Jinkai.

Do you have an opinion on albright vs slim beauty?
    Try the reverse albright (I think its called that) but have a look on Paulus' site

http://www.#################.com/index.htm

Hi Guys

Both the top and bottom knots are constructed similar, only difference is the top knot has the main line doubled over to form the top loop, so you can clip it onto a swivel if you want.

As far as the slim beauty and albright goes the slim beauty is not slim.

Knots are allways a work in progress, especially braid to leader knots. The slim beauty is a big knot, no better no worse than any other, just big.

No good saying this knot is good and it works for me. every one will have different combinations of lines, differing pics per inch, coatings, diameters, bs for their size and both braid and leaders will differ in hardness.

You can say this is a good knot, but for another it may fail as we have to many varieables.

Most knots suffer from a similar problem, the bending action of the braid, the outer radius needs to be longer than the inner, so the outer part of the strands carry more load than the inner, hence the outer strands break and the line / knot fails.

A slow spiral around on the way down the leader is better than it being tightly wound, on the way back it does not matter a lot. With the slow spiral down their is less bending of the braid on that item, this also increases the footfrint of the braid thats under tension.

Other than that, a bimini would work where you have two legs to carry the load.

Generally speaking braid knots are 60% of abs if you do it well, with the slow spiral down knot you can get a little better.

If you want to hang in with a single line going into the knot, try the PR knot, or the Sebile knot if your game.
    Other than that have a look at the new pullon leaders on my site this is a totally new concept and I normally say 99% strong.

Paulus

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Thanks Paulus - good info and snuck that advert in very well! I'll have a go at the new rig over the weekend.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Paulus

I think your instructions need a youtube video to help dummies like me. I just get a knot when I tie using the instructions - no loop.

Paulus, tried the J-knot? I find it even stronger than any versions of the surgeons knot (haven't tried your double method yet though) I've come across so far and is super easy to tie for droppers (twisted first), am keen to find out how strong it actually is though.