Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

Re: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

There's some pretty awesome products out there for making tackle cupboard n draws these days, specifically made for these kind of applications.
    The Yankee builders use it extensively, and we're using some of it in our refit too.

Know your pain on the quality stainless portholes. Got 6 new ones, and invested 3 or 4 days in fitting them perfectly, their slightly larger size and ovoid shape meant modifications were required rather than just cutting.

At least you know there's a bunch of us watching what you're up to! haha

Yeah the dimensions of the port holes are slightly bigger but it shouldn't cause me too much grief. I don't mind making mistakes as long as the end product is to my standards so i don't mind posting the mistakes and the triumphs

the tackle cupboards are also fairly steep in price so im going to have a good crack at making my own and if it fails just buy one

Wirlybird,

I just when through your entire thread, and I have to say your doing a great job.

It won't be long until I begin a Haines formula 233 restoration, but in my case it will be a twin outboard, center console.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers Mate

Are you going for a pod or a transom mount setup master4med2?

I was tempted to buy a center console for sale at the moment as it has twin diesels. Maybe a bit later on said the wife

I'll be removing the stern drive hump, recore and glass the transom, then build twin outboard pod.

I already have a 233 with a stern drives that I use, but I really want a 2 x outboard, center console.

Good luck with the build it should suit the cairns area. When you get to the paint stage call in and see Andrew or Leon at international paints at portsmith they have every available combination for you without the bull. Leon advised me on my last 3 builds he even laid the paint down on one of them as a favor. He knows the stuff inside and out. I have doubled my money on every build partly due to the immaculate paint jobs. When people see them in the flesh its game over they fall in love.

Thanks' for the heads up in the paint department. I know quite a few people that are more than happy with the expert knowledge and professionalism, of international paints in cairns.

I've rebuilt a few boats over the years, including building 2 from scratch. And I have always used Alexseal paints for excellent results, but I am lucky to have a brother that used to spray paint high end custom cars. ( The deal is I fair and he paints ).

A great paint job will always help sell a boat, it's the sparkle in there eye, when they see the boat for the first time that gets them.

Are you able to keep track of the cost of building the pod for me ? As i may convert at a later date to outboards if it isn’t economical to keep the V8. alternatively i will convert the transom and hang them like Opti has done on his build. Either way if you put a pod on it must continue the original lines of the boat as other 233's with different pods had issues with buoyancy and the like.

Hi guys

I cant do much in this weather so i decided to get some odd jobs done. I welded the retaining chain on the winch post. Added a support for the winch extension. Closed off the open ends of the trailer and welded some nuts on the box section ready for the oil to go in. I also made a support for the middle of the mud guard to stop it sagging.

Tip for young players the gasless welding wire is crap i would rather use a stick welder its that bad

Hi Wirly,
    I would be interested to know what wire and power source your using. Its usually great to use maybe your running DC+ instead of DC-.
    If I can help with settings and technique send me a PM.
    Cheers Bull

Cheers Bull
    I think its wire quality as im using a transmig 175 DC- setup.

It works fine with alloy DC+ and a gas shield maybe im just picky.

re repowering, Have you considered a 315hp diesel yanmar sterndrive rathern than converting to outboards? I reckon that would kickass

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    re repowering, Have you considered a 315hp diesel yanmar sterndrive rathern than converting to outboards? I reckon that would kickass
    Like this one

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=9354324

I think the pod gives it the extra length. Probably needs it for the extra weight of the donk.

That would be an absolute bastard to fish out of..... You'd need a surf rod to clear the leg! lol

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    yeah i considered it but three factors weight price and mods to the boat made it not so economical