Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

Re: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

trs has a standard dia prop ,so 14 1/2 is correct the 2tr had the bigger diameter.
    the diameters vary with the pitch,from 14 1/2 to 14 5/8.
    bigger cams arnt less reliable ,dont know where you read that ,but they will use more fuel

Quote Originally Posted by OPTI View Post
    if the 28 bertie was better id have one.
    That's a big call!

Quote Originally Posted by southern boater View Post
    That's a big call!
    not really ,yes they are bigger ,but slow and wet.the 28 is a dog imop

A terrible terrible thing happen today i was scraping the antifoul off the bottom of the boat creating quite a pile. The stuff was everywhere so i got the vacuum and vacuumed the driveway!!!! i felt so tainted i got changed drove into whitworths and spent $700 bucks on stainless steel boat bits whilst scratching my crouch and went home and had a beer or 3 to forget the vacuum incident ever occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by OPTI View Post
    not really ,yes they are bigger ,but slow and wet.the 28 is a dog imop
    They are a different class of boat, providing a very solid, sure-footed stability both laterally and fore and aft when underway, similar to what you would expect of a bigger offshore passage-maker.
    They run like the much revered semi-displacement boats, deep and low, ploughing through, rather than bouncing over the top of waves.

yes semi displacement,and ploughing through is an accurate description.i guess its different boats for different folks,the 233 leaves the 28 for dead in offshore conditions.

Can you guys recommend the best prop for a stock 454 like whirlybirds

really depends on the boat but the mirage plus props ,have given me good results ,and of cause a pitch that will allow you to reach max rpm.

Hey simon656 have you got any pics of your boat?

I've heard stories of folks repowering with automotive V8's and running the standard cam, but once they sit in the water they won't idle. Advice was to then install the old 'marine' grind cam from the removed engine.
    This was from a small block 5.7, not sure if it's relevant?
    Just spoke to the guy who did the repower mentioned above, in the interest of getting some more info.

Apparently his client bought a carbed, 5.7 lt. long motor from Eagle Auto's in Melb. and selected the 290 HP version instead of the standard 260 HP.
    The 290's max. rev range (to get the extra HP) was between 5100 - 5300 rpm, where the standard 260 was between 4400 - 4600 rpm.

The new motor ran fine at idle on the muffs, but wouldn't once in the water with the extra back-pressure. This is when they were advised to install the original Merc. cam.
    He went on descibing the Merc. cam as helping deliver the max. torque early and something about different load pressures compared to running the same engine on the road with loads on and off allowing for flats and down hills, where as in a boat the load has a reasonably constant pressure against the prop.

Hey marto , will try to post some soon

Hey guys how do you post photos on these forums, not to tech savvy

Just spoke to the guy who did the repower mentioned above, in the interest of getting some more info.

Apparently his client bought a carbed, 5.7 lt. long motor from Eagle Auto's in Melb. and selected the 290 HP version instead of the standard 260 HP.
    The 290's max. rev range (to get the extra HP) was between 5100 - 5300 rpm, where the standard 260 was between 4400 - 4600 rpm.

The new motor ran fine at idle on the muffs, but wouldn't once in the water with the extra back-pressure. This is when they were advised to install the original Merc. cam.
    He went on descibing the Merc. cam as helping deliver the max. torque early and something about different load pressures compared to running the same engine on the road with loads on and off allowing for flats and down hills, where as in a boat the load has a reasonably constant pressure against the prop.
    yes i know what your saying ,but i still carnt understand the not idleing,havw to be tune issue,comp cams make arange of performance roller cams for marine applications,i have used many with great results,especially with big block applications

Quote Originally Posted by simon656 View Post
    Hey guys how do you post photos on these forums, not to tech savvy
    Have a look in the forum help section and have a practice in the test section as it mite be better to start another thread rather then hijack this one.

Hi Guys its been a lot of scraping between posts and some rain has slowed me down but there are the results minus the small strip of antifoul under the bottom and under the rollers.
    Attachment 70787
    Attachment 70786
    Attachment 70785
    I received my EFI kit yesterday and it was a bit dinged up the map sensor was completely smashed so I have to get a new one there goes another $100 bucks