Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

Re: My Hanes Formula 233 rebirth

Hey Wirlybird, you could also change the front screen completely, angle the screen back on the same angle as the 2 forward vertical pips. for memory i don't think you can move the screen forward due to the shape of the forward deck but i could be wrong.

Cheers PB

Your right PB but it’s easier to move the screen forward and re mould the deck than re-engineer the roof.

There are 2 different angles on the windscreen that you have to work with this makes it bloody hard to get the thing looking right. any other angle than 90 degrees and the roof looks good so it kind of sux in that regard.

I could also raise the windscreen that makes it look totaly different but thats why i have done the mock up this way i want it to look right the first time.

I just looked back at your other photos of when you installed the roof supports.. its a bugger you made it so strong as it wouldn't have been that hard to move the roof back with a bit of grinding and re-welding.....
    Moving the windscreen forward sounds like a lot of extra work and I would be more looking at moving the hard top back.
    That's if you really think it needs moving at all, its only for the clears and most days the clears are open on my boat or not on it at all in Summer...

When driving are you looking over the top of the windscreen when standing or through the windscreen ??

With the wealth of information and people on this site, someone should come up with an options for you.....

Yes i agree redoing the roof would not be the go, to much work. If it was me i would sell the original windscreen, there would have to be someone with a cracked windscreen on a 233 there only the most popular and reproduced boat ever built. then take the boat to someone like Alfab and get them to make a custom 1, should only cost around a K.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers PB

On your roof noticed no diagonal braces.Unsure if it is a concern.
    As when I made my hardtop,I made it full length of boat.The drama I did have was roof moving side to side.I ended up putting diaganol brace in front of windscreen,which has helped a lot but not perfect.
    Great work you have done.
    Cheers Steve

Good point ovakill i engineered the roof to have pull in at the back legs this does two things tensions the rig and stops the slop from happening and also stops the roof from falling apart at the welds. i had to go back to my days of making wings for planes. We work on the wing being in tension all the time its in the air this creates stability amongst the components and stops them from falling apart mid air. The theory is sound but we will see how it works in practice.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ar-So-Good-%29

the pro line roof has a similar position to my one ????

Ok i have had a weekend of measure cut weld weld weld step back.......

I think i have got it. It took some serious mods to the roof as its not 100% square and neither is the sides of the boat. In the end the roof went back 4 1/2 inches and it made a big difference for such a small move. I have yet to reinforce the sides of the boat but that shouldn’t be a big deal to do now that im looking at it.

i also got the windscreen frame off and removed 40 years of press studs and lifterdot studs. i spent all day welding the holes up and smoothing them off i should have the windscreen frame polished this week.

it felt good to be getting something done again

PHEW its been a while but here is the progress

4 coats of under coat sanded each time down to 600 grit

striped the paint off the alloy roof and prepped it for polishing

added a spray deflector on the windscreen

got new portlight's for the sides

Rebuilt the 454 just need to wire and plumb it up

added brakes to the trailer just have to wire them up also

oh and im putting an auto pilot on as well got sick of spinning that steering wheel

The first top coat went on today

One of the pictures shows the thickness of the glass in the upper bow section about 10-12 mm

Looking good!

Not sure if it has been discussed before, but do you know what year your boat is?

I wouldn't have a clue what year it is as there is no build plate on it, but the TRS 454 combination in my boat was made between 1978-1986 hope that helps your list

If its not too late, altering the rake angle on the hardtop backstays so they slope towards the bow at the base would be more sleek in appearance. More like a targa arch and more modern looking. Just a thought. Looking good though!

Uncanny timing mate!
    Uncanny portlight choice too (your originals were what we had, and your new ones are the same we chose)! haha

Certainly getting some paint on these old girls is a milestone. Even undercoat looks better than the rubbed back hulk. haha

Prepping for top coat inside last Sunday;

Same paint to ha ha international

Your boat looks bloody huge compaired to my one

on another note my first top coat was spoiled by the high dew point yesterday so its off to the spray booth as soon as the trailer is done.

Ours is basically a "blown up" formula, hence my strong interest in yours

What colour did you decide on? We've gone with "New Hatteras White", and it's magnificent against timber timber joinery inside the boat, but we may tweak it a little for the external surfaces. We'll paint some large test panels to triple-check

Sorry about your top-coat! That would be a solid pain in the butt! We thankfully dodged the dew by spraying Sunday. Not much of our job was exposed to dew anyway, only the chest freezer/tackle unit, but as I say, we dodged a bullet.