Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do I fix this and what is it ?

Re: how do I fix this and what is it ?

Hate to say it but Google Chrome is very quick on the internet.

I have been using Firefox but lately am tired of the lag in web pages.

Chrome is fastest.

I use it when browsing ebay or online shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Just tried to install some software I have on CD. Nope. I needed Installer thingies.

Checked all and found I didn't have service pack 2 ( Windows ). so that is now running.

I'll keeping loading bits and pieces.

LP
    I have just changed to windows 7 from xp and I would say get service pack 3 as service pack 2 is dated.

If you own any expensive programs like some accounting or cad programs, check its compatibility to Win7 before you make the leap.
    One of my $15000 programs three yrs ago is not compatible with Win7 and some of the MYOB versions will not load even in XP compatible mode.
    Myob ain't so bad cuz its relatively cheap.
    I bought a new machine recently and tried to load my gear for a week and gave up, no amount of patches would get it to work. Ended up giving the machine away to a friend as a bad joke. Built a new machine from scratch and loaded XP 64 and its sweet as. Certainly ain't shelling out $16800 for the new version of the same program to run on Win7.
    Jack.

OK.

Outlook Express seems to have settled down.

Most other stuff is back on.

One problem is my Garmin USB PROG is not being picked up by the software and I can't transfer points etc from Card to Mapsource on puter. I have the disc for Waypoint manager and for USB drivers, but it doesn't seem to like it.

Lucky I have 4 digital copies of all waypoints and 2 hard copies. Ya never know......

Still using Firefox and speed is good.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phill, I had to install Mapsource twice for unknown reasons before it worked, just put it down to a bad install initially. Runs fine now with zero problems.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    OK.

Outlook Express seems to have settled down.

Most other stuff is back on.

One problem is my Garmin USB PROG is not being picked up by the software and I can't transfer points etc from Card to Mapsource on puter. I have the disc for Waypoint manager and for USB drivers, but it doesn't seem to like it.

Lucky I have 4 digital copies of all waypoints and 2 hard copies. Ya never know......

Still using Firefox and speed is good.

LP
    I had a similar issue with USB ports.

Try going into device manager and updating the driver (click update driver) of every port on the computer individually.

Sometimes only some of the USB ports are updated automatically.

Especially the port you are using.

Try the USB ports on the back of the computer as well as the ones on the front. They may not all be updated.

All ports seem to be working.

I plugged the GPS Unit cable into front port and it went fine for transfer of info.

Try going into device manager and updating the driver (click update driver) of every port on the computer individually.

OK...... for the tech-devoid.... how and where do I find the Device Manager ???

LP

control panel- system- device manager-Universal serial Bus controllers- > click on each hub and update the driver.

This might help.

I did have an Ipod once and you needed the software to connect to it,but reinstall your software later.

The USB port should still initially detect a device on it's own, you may need software to access it but it should be detected.

OK Thanks.

I went into Control Panel............. no " system ".

Found " Performance and Maintenance ".

There I found " System ".

Found the USB thingos and started to update all.

Done about 4 and all is good. System found the Garmin prog and I have used it.

Thanks again.

Phill

right click my computer> properties> hardware>device manager

ooops, too late, you found it another way.