Thread: Honda BF90 EFI - Suggest replacement for STOLEN Propeller !!

Honda BF90 EFI - Suggest replacement for STOLEN Propeller !!

I was overjoyed to discover my Solas prop and stainless ladder were stolen last Friday from my 490 Freedom Sport. The boat was in secure storage with 24hr cctv if you can believe it.

I had a Stainless Solas 13 7/8 x 17 that was working fine, able to get 5500rpm. Thoughts were to find an exact replacement but thought I would call on the wisdom of the forum. Any suggestions/comments welcome. Also any links for a competitive price on props would be nice, although it is insured. USA prices are about half + postage.

Cheers

Richard

Re: Honda BF90 EFI - Suggest replacement for STOLEN Propeller !!

I reckon if you can show it was on when you put it in storage on their CCTV then they should buy a new one . What's the point of paying for CCTV secure storage if they don't stand behind their product and show you who remove the prop?????

Best thing about secure storage is that they know who was there and their ID , vehicle etc so surely they don't want thieves as clients??? If they do not want to be helpful then it may be a staff member??? Ask management for proof that they do not have a theft problem and they should come good and supply another prop.

A not happy jan moment

PS there is no way that they should be getting their monthly payment if they can't come up with admissable footage and that goes for the last 6 mnths payments or any in advance. If they are being nobs then a large ambit claim for a gold plated prop on their insurance , tilt tray to and from the boat shop, your time etc etc may provide a outcome. Depends if you still want to use them N reason police won't fingerprint a stored boat after a theft! Shame is a staff members prints are found???

if the old prop was good, then just get the same one again, if it is an insurance claim, then how much they are over seas makes no difference.

Hmm...yep as cormorant stated...request the cctv footage!

Was the secure storage broken into, or your prop+ladder simply go "missing"?

Pretty disappointed with response from the Storage Facility. "Although we offer CCTV we cannot guarantee coverage on every boat/van. You needed to take extra insurance out with us to cover for theft.....". My mistake by the looks of things!!. Police took some fingerprints but I think they are unable to spend the time sifting through a couple of weeks of CCTV footage. I may chase them today.

The prop & ladder just seemed to "go missing" which implies an inside job. Time for some renovations so I can store it home. Jesus I am pissed off.

Yes, true the cost does not matter. Excess is $200 mind you. May need to get myself a new sounder just to get over the ordeal :>)

Richard

If you can't get any joy out of the owners of the storage facility then name & shame. If that's the kind of service they provide others should know about it.

So from your response, it appears to be an "open-style" storage facility....i.e. not individually (locked) storage sheds?(As I've had my boat in storage, but you provide your own padlock, and they also have records of whenever your "door" is open/closed)

Back to the original question .
    Given that you're only getting 5500rpm , an inch of pitch equals approx 200/300rpm, really you need to re-prop to achieve Max RPM , ie : 6000rpm,

Given that your original prop was a 17" I am a bit puzzled by your ability to only get 5500rpm at WOT.???
    I've just repowerd my Stacer witha BF75 Honda & I'm running the same as your old prop with way too much gear on board & getting 6300rpm @ WOT, Im looking to go to an 18 or 19" prop.

One of the first things I always check is go for a run & check if the cav plate is just on or just aboove the surface of the water @ WOT & when the motor is trimmed up a bit, if its under the water @ WOT the engine neds lifting up one or maybe two bolt holes on the transom, its really easy just the four bolts to undo, watch out & borrow a engine lift or itll fall off with no bolts in the transom.

liifting an engine so the cav plate is just out of the water @ WOT makes a Huge, Huge differenc ein performance try that first as it'll make the engine go much better before you run off changing props & costs nothing but 1/2 hour of your time.

However , By going back from a 17" to a 15" pitch will allow an extra 500/600rpm , thus getting max RPM at WOT, .

Also benefit by being able to get out of the whole up onto plane a whole lot better.

Hi Richard,
    In what area is your boat stored just as i have one in a ( secure ) storage on the Sunny coast so i am hoping it is not the same place otherwise i will be pulling mine out of there.
    BOAB BRIBIE

Thanks for the reply Angry.

To be perfectly honest I have not paid too much attention to the RPM and cav plate. The RPM's may be 200-300 higher than 5500, what I can say with some certainty is that they do not reach 6000 or greater. Should I be aiming for 6000rpm with this boat/motor ? I am an amateur when it comes to these aspects, although after your comments I will certainly look at the cav plate when at full throttle. I have always noticed cavitation when turning over a wide range of speeds/rpm. Perhaps the motor is a little high? I will ask the dealer to have a look at it when replacing the stolen prop.

BOAB BRIBIE - No the boat was stored in Newcastle NSW, but the experience has made me wary of all storage facilities. It was located on outside on a concrete area along with a number of caravans etc. I have moved it to another one where I made sure a camera was nearby but I now plan to renovate my front yard so I can store it at home.

I would be dropping it on the storage facility to spring for the $200 as they advertise as secure storage and yet the did not provide the service.

If they don't come good I am sure a complaint to your local Office of Fair Trading would make them think twice.