Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leader for flathead. what do you use?

Re: leader for flathead. what do you use?

12lb Rock FC
    "Live Life"

I use 6lb and 8lb Vanish leader material on 4lb and 8lb braid and a good light drag on 2500 sized reels. catch Flatties to 65cm regularly and never had an issue or break, a light drag is the key in my opinion, you have to be comfortable to let them run as they can spit the hook easily under too much tension.

Actually I have also used 15lb vanish fluorocarbon in the past.
    It has a fine gauge.
    I am currently stocking up on fluro - 8lb, 10lb and 15lb.
    (might grab some 6 and 4 lb when the budget allows)

Depend on my style of fishing,
    Deep plastics , because the fish will often swallow the lure deeper would fish 10-12lb , and take it easy on the bigger fish.
    Hard bodies , most often hooked shallow in the mouth, or out side the mouth 6-10lb depending on lure sizes.

Best fish came on 4lb Fluro strait through in a bream comp at forster, 16lb 106cm , have to say I got pretty lucky though because it was hooked in the corner of the Jaw.

Cheers Shortbags

6lb FC Rock mostly, Sometimes will throw on 10lb FC rock if im throwing around a bigger offering. I have alot of faith in the 6lb had a 55cm flatty the other week swallow my 4" minnow, With a solo net job my leader was still pretty much intact.

6-14lb vanish depending on the main line i'm using, i had a 90cm+ one bust me off after beaching it on 10lb I saw it swim past with my plastic sitting in the back of its throat, some of the most nerve racking minutes of my life, it made it back to the water before I could get a photo. It's the only flatie i have lost to a leader fail.