Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Appreciated...Calcutta or Curado

Re: Help Appreciated...Calcutta or Curado

Here is a good little read on bearings - http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings201.html

Part 101 & 301 can be found on the tackletour site

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, there's still S/S races but most of the time I think wear is on the bearings themselves.. so while they won't be there forever, I think they should outlast the standard ones in a saltwater environment.

The reason i think they feel smoother is that they are ABEC #7's, just a higher grade than what's available from Shimano. Once again, not sure but i think Shimano use ABEC #3 ? anyone know for sure ?
    The standard shimano bearings are rated using a Japanese system, and are typically JIS4 (which I believe is somewhere in the range ABEC3-4). The black A-RB Shimano bearings are JIS4 and, IMHO, are just as good as the ABEC5 and ABEC7 BOCAs. Personally, I did not notice much of a difference in casting distance between all the bearings for lures > 7g, provided the stock bearings are cleaned with acetone and lightly lubed with a low viscosity oil (YRF or Friction Zero). Flinging the really light stuff is where the differences appear. Japanese ZPI bearings are also super bearings - very quiet and easy to clean/lube as they have no shields.

Here is a good little read on bearings - http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings201.html

Part 101 & 301 can be found on the tackletour site

Chris

------------------------
    Chuck's posts were always a great read and chock full of technical information. A great guy and a huge pity he stopped posting on TT.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I have to say I'm a wuz .

Chris
    Reckon you can blame the move north for that mate time to harden up

Back on topic, my opinion for what it's worth is:

I'd be looking at the TE GT Calcutta, matched to the right rod {balanced properly} they're comfortable to use and will outcast a Curado which at best are only a mid range reel.

It's a tough one as like others have said you cannot compare the two as they're entirely different reels. The rod you want to match it too will dictate which reel you should buy.

PS: When it comes to casting performance I don't think you can compare the TE with the TE GT with the latter being miles ahead.

Chris,
    Thanks very much for the help last week, greatly appreciated mate

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    Reckon you can blame the move north for that mate time to harden up

Back on topic, my opinion for what it's worth is:

I'd be looking at the TE GT Calcutta, matched to the right rod {balanced properly} they're comfortable to use and will outcast a Curado which at best are only a mid range reel.

It's a tough one as like others have said you cannot compare the two as they're entirely different reels. The rod you want to match it too will dictate which reel you should buy.

PS: When it comes to casting performance I don't think you can compare the TE with the TE GT with the latter being miles ahead.

Chris,
    Thanks very much for the help last week, greatly appreciated mate
    Not a Drama Dave , any time!

Getting older ....... Already stuffed my elbow with all that barra casting .

Mate the GT is a big step up over the standard TE ...... much better casting reel but I dont know if I would want to be using one all day - not really a single handed reel either. If I was going fishing for PNG black bass it would be a toss up between the TE GT & the Pluton as the weapon of choice - other than that I cant think of an Aussie species that you would target on a small / small medium baitcast reel (casting) that requires that type of capacity.

Anyhoos they look good

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a 200 E7 curado and swear by it....I love it!!
    I have not owned nor used a calcutta, so cannot comment on it.

hope you make the right decision.

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not a Drama Dave , any time!

Getting older ....... Already stuffed my elbow with all that barra casting .

Mate the GT is a big step up over the standard TE ...... much better casting reel but I dont know if I would want to be using one all day - not really a single handed reel either. If I was going fishing for PNG black bass it would be a toss up between the TE GT & the Pluton as the weapon of choice - other than that I cant think of an Aussie species that you would target on a small / small medium baitcast reel (casting) that requires that type of capacity.

Anyhoos they look good

Chris
    Chris, yep they are a step up but for the few extra bucks it's worth it in the long run. look after them and they'll last for years.

Also the 200 series Shimanos don't have a large spool capacity. 110-120m/6kg mono approx. I've got a 100 size GT that's the exact same size as the 200 TE but I don't think you can get the 100's anymore.

I wouldn't be using them on pelagics with any confidence. Most reels will catch many different species & sizes but when that big gallout comes along reckon you'll only get a burnt hand with a 200.

thanks to everyone for the responses. At the moment I am pretty sure I will get the calcutta 200gt model, for $350 delivered from the US it seems like a good deal. My last question is this. If I go impoundment fishing for big barra, would the 200 size have enough grunt to tackle a big fella? If possible I would like to stay with the smaller sized reel and not the 300, because the 300 doesnt have the "super free" system which will make it harder for lighter lures, and its also that little bit heavier and bigger. Please excuse my ignorance, im extremely inexperienced with barra fishing, as I mainly target jacks down here on the gold coast. Similary, if the 200 will be okay for impoundment barra, what sort of fish will max out its drag and line capacity etc??

Thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by chillerz69 View Post
    thanks to everyone for the responses. At the moment I am pretty sure I will get the calcutta 200gt model, for $350 delivered from the US it seems like a good deal. My last question is this. If I go impoundment fishing for big barra, would the 200 size have enough grunt to tackle a big fella? If possible I would like to stay with the smaller sized reel and not the 300, because the 300 doesnt have the "super free" system which will make it harder for lighter lures, and its also that little bit heavier and bigger. Please excuse my ignorance, im extremely inexperienced with barra fishing, as I mainly target jacks down here on the gold coast. Similary, if the 200 will be okay for impoundment barra, what sort of fish will max out its drag and line capacity etc??

Thanks again guys
    Hi Chiller

The truth is that a big barra will pull drag against any baitcaster on the market - the harder you go the harder it will go ........... This is where a cool head & skill comes into the capture more than the reel. If in open water with normal drag just play the fish out keeping pressure on - If in the timber you need to back off (freespool) when the line goes around a tree & you just follow the fish ...... the pressure goes back back on once cleared. Going hard in the timber often ends in tears.
    So to answer your question ... most 100 size low profile baitcasters are more than capable of tangling with impoundment barra ........ my little 103 Steez has caught its fair share of meter plus barra & its probably best described as a bass reel . 5 years ago the reel of choice / desire was a Daiwa Blacksheep ..... (A heavy sooped up round millionaire) - today its about Daiwa Zillions , Shimano chronarchs / curados ..... & other small baitcasters (or quality spin) .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Nagg.

Tell me more about your zillion Type R Baitcaster...

What ratio do you have and is it left or right hand ?

What rod do you match this reel with?

Do you have any issues with overruns or weight over over casting sessions?

PS - your PM box is full.

Splash