Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power of a fish research inspector

Power of a fish research inspector

Came in off the Goldie this morning and a fish research inspector wanted to go through my fish
    What power does he have, he measured every one of them
    Was targeting trag, snapper and perlies.
    Also how many you threw back and where you got them, thought that one was funny, in the water of course.
    Seemed sus to me
    Cheers

Re: Power of a fish research inspector

I have been pulled up by these guys before.I told them to stick there research where it fits and that if i tell them what i caught and where i got it low and behold next time i go it will prob be a green zone.Well i don,t think he liked that as he preceded to tell me it was narrow minded people like me that got the green zones put in in the first place.So we agreed to disagree.I don,t know if he had the power to look in my esky all i know is i wasn,t going to let him.
    Cheers Leigh

have had it happin down the goldie as well.i normally just tell them what i have caught and always just say i caught them in close
    cheers rosco

Gee guys you must be a paranoid

The person is a Marine Biologist / Researcher and not an Inspector per say.

The information \ data that are obtained from fishos such as myself aswell as charter ops is for statistical purposes and also to have some type of idea of what sea conditons are, water temp, current and how many throwbacks.

Nothing unusual or sinister about it.

The bloke you are refering to is about late 50's, white caucasion, fair skin and carries a large wooden official fish measuring device issued by Qld Boating and Fisheries Service and has clipboard where he writes up measurements etc.

Hope that clears the air for ya.

Tangles21 I think that answers the question. If he had the power to search your vessel or esky in this case, he would have quoted the part of the act that gives him the power. Seeing that he did not force the issue or threaten you with further legal action it leads me to believe that they have no real power to do the research.

Cheers
    i want a bigger boat

Call Sign "In-Vince-able" VHF 72

Charlie09,

Mate, Only a Fisheries Inspector or now called Field Officer and Qld Police have the power to search anything they desire and dont need to quote the official Act unless the vessel owner is non cooperative or there is a reasonable suspicion an unlawful act was committed.

Fisheries Researcher is completely different ball game and different kettle of fish...dont get the two mixed. Oils anit Oils.

Hakuna.

the fellow could have been part of Fisheries Queensland's monitoring program, details of which are found on the following page: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_12885.htm
    How the data are collected

The recreational fishing sector voluntarily participates in species-specific monitoring programs in a number of ways. For example:
    • recreational fishers allow fish they have caught to be measured at boat ramps, popular land-based fishing locations (e.g. Fraser Island and the Gold Coast) and at fishing tournaments
    • recreational fishers donate fish frames as part of the Keen Angler Program
    • charter boat operators measure fish caught and retained by their customers
    cheers.

Jono.

have no real power to do the research.
    I dont think it got to do with the power to do research its more to do with if they have the power to search your esky...so does this guy just wonder up and ask or does he flash some sort of ID first??
    either way i dont see a major biggy with it so id happily show him.

Had one yesterday at tin can bay ramp. Had a chat to him and showed him a goldie that was kept. We discussed what was out there and that they are a heap of just under tailor caught (and released). He told me, he has seen a few earlier that day where people had kept undersized tailor (old 30cm not new 35cm). Nice bloke and said that fishing seemed very consistent since he had been doing this job which is good re a measure of fish numbers.

these people are doing a job that is necessary for all of us. whilst we may not like green zones or the way they were "sold" to us (sorry forced upon us), unless we continually pool our information together, by the time we decide that a species is in danger it may be too late to recover it. i was quite cranky along with many others at the introduction of the zones but i have mellowed in my opinions. whilst holidaying in townsville in april this year i was talking to a local fisho who was quite supportive of the zones. they have been in place for a few years up there and he was quite adamant that his personal fishing results had definately improved as a direct result of the green zones. i think that the biggest problem with the zones is the boundaries. whilst a few of them are "square" and relatively easy to plot into a gps, zones like peel island (which were not changed) look like they were drawn by a bloke who had a half case of bundy under his belt. because of the "less than 2m at the lowest tide of the year" boundary on peel it can be contentious as to whether or not one is inside the zone. i would of thought that the introduction of the zones would have been an excellent opportunity to redraw the lines at peel so as they could be input into a gps to clear up any doubts. at the end of the day as far as monitoring is concerned we are damned if we do and damned if we dont. in addition tho, if youve got a good fish in the box and no one else to show it off to, hey, a fisheries bloke will do!!

davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    I dont think it got to do with the power to do research its more to do with if they have the power to search your esky...so does this guy just wonder up and ask or does he flash some sort of ID first??
    either way i dont see a major biggy with it so id happily show him.
    Hey Wayno, is that you in your avatar and if so do you want to go for a fish some time?

thanks,
    Bondy99, you must be or know the person, your description fits the person.
    He was a nice enough bloke and didn't force anything, he introduced himself and asked the questions and made sure it was ok to enter my boat.
    I had no problems with that. The fisheries and their attitude, that's another story.

cheers

No worries Hakuna,

Yeah I know the bloke you're talking about. I've known him for over 10 years, he is always a polite fella.

Many times he has met charter boats coming back from their fishing trips just to measure and record...at some times of the year he will ask skippers / deckies of charter boats to keep roe of certain fish when they are gilled and gutted so he can check for stages of development.

Cheers, Bondy

So we came across a pair of researchers at manly southern side ramp, they asked us to measure the fish check the catch, I proceed to tell them(truthfully) that we were running a bit late for them to jump on board and get the specifics, however I offered the information off the top of my head, we had x amount of perlies around this size range, x amount of snapper around this size, x amount of tuskies around this size, and then he interjects, " sorry mate we are not interested in any other fish other than snapper and pearl pearch", I say What???, turns out his research is commissioned by DPI, and they wanted the info for the RRFF although he obviously did not (could not) reply to my direct question.

So this research is skewed by DPI's data gathering. h up until this point a few months ago I would have happily given these guys all the data, thinking the research may have been usefull, now I will think twice, ask some pointed questions before handing over the info.

Maybe not so paranoid after all.

Regards
    HOnda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    So we came across a pair of researchers at manly southern side ramp, they asked us to measure the fish check the catch, I proceed to tell them(truthfully) that we were running a bit late for them to jump on board and get the specifics, however I offered the information off the top of my head, we had x amount of perlies around this size range, x amount of snapper around this size, x amount of tuskies around this size, and then he interjects, " sorry mate we are not interested in any other fish other than snapper and pearl pearch", I say What???, turns out his research is commissioned by DPI, and they wanted the info for the RRFF although he obviously did not (could not) reply to my direct question.

So this research is skewed by DPI's data gathering. h up until this point a few months ago I would have happily given these guys all the data, thinking the research may have been usefull, now I will think twice, ask some pointed questions before handing over the info.

Maybe not so paranoid after all.

Regards
    HOnda.
    How is it skewed by DPI's data gathering?