Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Thumbs up Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Hi All

No this is not an infomercial - just a heads up on a great new product.
    Over the past few weeks I have been using a new line out of the pure fishing stable called "Nanofil" on my 6lb spin outfits......
    My initial impressions were very positive when used on a Daiwa Advantage 2000 & Certate 1500 with no line issues at all ( It's very smooth & round) ........ Hmmm I thought - I've got the ultimate test ..... put some 4lb on my problematic "Stella 2000" (that reel hates anything below 8lb & above a 3/4 filled spool). Well I fished 4lb Nanofil (chockers) on it over the last few days and I'm impressed to say the least - finally I have a line that allows me to use the reel as it was intended to
    So I'm now replacing all my light 4-8lb spin reels with Nanofil

Now I'm not sure about availability here but I do believe that it is starting to trickle into the country at about $30 / 150 yds ..... so it about the same price as "Fireline"
    NB .... The Nanofil is not suitable for baitcasters as it bites into the line load .

So be on the lookout for it if you have wind knot problems in your light spin outfits..... This line could just be the cure

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Hey Chris, have you used the Fireline Exceed, was with a mate when he got some yesterday seems really thin i think 6lb was .09mm to the usual fireline .15mm. seems like you could get some wind knots in it.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    Hey Chris, have you used the Fireline Exceed, was with a mate when he got some yesterday seems really thin i think 6lb was .09mm to the usual fireline .15mm. seems like you could get some wind knots in it.
    I was tempted to buy some - but I had the Nanofil on the way at that time. The nanofil is thin 0.004" but being smooth and round it will be less likely to catch

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I will be interested to try the Nanofil when it becomes available; every manufacturer seems to be making advancements all the time with their lines. For my finesse work I purchase a couple of Pflueger Patriarchs which came with some of the Fireline Exceed mentioned above and i have found this also to be excellent; not one single wind knot for either the wife or i in several trips. Wind knots in the smaller sized lines are nearly always fatal for me with failing eyesight so all advancements are welcome.
    Could i ask you Chris what colour the Nanofil is? I find the fluro colours help me with simply tying knots and different fluro colours help with tangles. In the heavier sizes from 20lb onward i have been using the Sunline Super PE which i have found to be good.
    Regards to all Dick

They call the colour clear mist. White or crystal if you want. Should be able to pick up at most places now. Saw it at my local the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevric View Post
    I will be interested to try the Nanofil when it becomes available; every manufacturer seems to be making advancements all the time with their lines. For my finesse work I purchase a couple of Pflueger Patriarchs which came with some of the Fireline Exceed mentioned above and i have found this also to be excellent; not one single wind knot for either the wife or i in several trips. Wind knots in the smaller sized lines are nearly always fatal for me with failing eyesight so all advancements are welcome.
    Could i ask you Chris what colour the Nanofil is? I find the fluro colours help me with simply tying knots and different fluro colours help with tangles. In the heavier sizes from 20lb onward i have been using the Sunline Super PE which i have found to be good.
    Hi Dick - you'll be in trouble with the nanofil as it is the same colour as fireline crystal ..... it is also thin ! Even I struggled with the 4lb the other day ... mind you a late night and a belly full of pi$$ didn't help .....
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

No this is not an infomercial - just a heads up on a great new product.
    Over the past few weeks I have been using a new line out of the pure fishing stable called "Nanofil" on my 6lb spin outfits......
    My initial impressions were very positive when used on a Daiwa Advantage 2000 & Certate 1500 with no line issues at all ( It's very smooth & round) ........ Hmmm I thought - I've got the ultimate test ..... put some 4lb on my problematic "Stella 2000" (that reel hates anything below 8lb & above a 3/4 filled spool). Well I fished 4lb Nanofil (chockers) on it over the last few days and I'm impressed to say the least - finally I have a line that allows me to use the reel as it was intended to
    So I'm now replacing all my light 4-8lb spin reels with Nanofil

Now I'm not sure about availability here but I do believe that it is starting to trickle into the country at about $30 / 150 yds ..... so it about the same price as "Fireline"
    NB .... The Nanofil is not suitable for baitcasters as it bites into the line load .

So be on the lookout for it if you have wind knot problems in your light spin outfits..... This line could just be the cure

Chris
    Hey Nag,
    Just curious, what does your stella do to your line specifically to gain its problematic reputation with cheap light braid. seems strange that a top of the range 2000 reel cant handle 8lb. i just ask as a potential purchaser of the stella 2000. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    Hey Nag,
    Just curious, what does your stella do to your line specifically to gain its problematic reputation with cheap light braid. seems strange that a top of the range 2000 reel cant handle 8lb. i just ask as a potential purchaser of the stella 2000. cheers.
    Just to note ... Its a Stella 2000S (JDM version) from a few years back
    It handles 8lb ok - but struggles on 6 & 4lb

The main problem is with how the stella lays the line & the spool design - the line lay is too level ....... any flat line or soft line with loose coils can be taken off the spool during a cast out of sequence ....... several coils can try to pass through the guides - the end result is a mess. To overcome this - I need a stiffer rod , heavier braid and a wiry type of line .
    Because the nanofil is so round , smooth & wiry ..... the coils pass over each other
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris,

Had my main bream rod spooled with 4lb Nanofil by Duncan at Fishhead last night.

Jeez it's bloody thin! Tying knots with my bad eyes will be an issue!

Looking forward to my first hook-up with it (maybe Sunday at Peel if the forecast holds...)

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Hey Chris,

Had my main bream rod spooled with 4lb Nanofil by Duncan at Fishhead last night.

Jeez it's bloody thin! Tying knots with my bad eyes will be an issue!

Looking forward to my first hook-up with it (maybe Sunday at Peel if the forecast holds...)

Cheers

Pete
    Be interested to see what you think ....... that 4lb is certainly thin ( I wonder how it will go on a jew )
    So how much are they charging ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Gidday Nagg,just got a spool of nanofil 10lb to test from Yeehaa fishing AKLD,spooled it on to a FD Stella 2500,using a custom CTS rod built by Yeehaa also,heading out tomorrow at 5am after snapper and what ever takes my S/Bs,replaced the varivas super i had on there,far to many w/knots,will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by snapazapa View Post
    Gidday Nagg,just got a spool of nanofil 10lb to test from Yeehaa fishing AKLD,spooled it on to a FD Stella 2500,using a custom CTS rod built by Yeehaa also,heading out tomorrow at 5am after snapper and what ever takes my S/Bs,replaced the varivas super i had on there,far to many w/knots,will be interesting.
    Be interesting to hear what you think ! - Just make sure you use a couple of extra turns in your knot ........ the stuff is slippery
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Dang, I've respooled my light outfits with 4 & 6 lb Stren Microfuse, but now I really want to try that Nanofil stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    Dang, I've respooled my light outfits with 4 & 6 lb Stren Microfuse, but now I really want to try that Nanofil stuff!
    You'll notice a bit of difference - Microfuse was my choice behind fireline ...... There is always the option of buying another outfit
    It's amazing that a cheap line like fireline was the go to for light spin outfits - not by choice but necessity .
    Now I've got a 4lb , 2 x 6lb & 8lb outfits spooled with Nanofil ....... I guess it will be interesting to see how well it lasts and maintains its roundness before it starts to come apart......
    If it does better than fireline ....... sweet ! I'm certainly gaining some confidence in the stuff with now several jews over 80cm landed on 6lb
    I see a large NSW online retailer has the stuff for $34 (150 yards) ...... for anyone interested in a good price ,Tacklewarehouse (US) have 300yd spools for US$38 - with the cheap postage option you could land 2 x 300 yard spools for about A$80 ...... pretty good value IMO

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Be interesting to hear what you think ! - Just make sure you use a couple of extra turns in your knot ........ the stuff is slippery
    Gidday Nagg,tried the line today and was quite impressed,fishing in 45metres of water with a 1/2oz jighead I could feel every knock,bump,caught snaps up to 56cm,I used a leader of 25lb attaching it with a pr knot,it was all good,the knot was still great at the end of the day,started softly but started to crank the drag up and it was all good,casting wise it was very good,reckon it will be good for wash fishing,no need to get so close to the rocks.