Thread: Oil seal / mag seal does it work

Oil seal / mag seal does it work

For some time i have been holding off on the purchase of a small heavy duty spin reel. The choices are bewildering to say the least. I need something in the Daiwa 4000 / 4500 size or perhaps 5000 Shimano. Although i admire some of the advances in technology i have reservation about the Oil Seal in the cheaper Daiwa range and the Mag Seal. What is the difference between the two and is it worth paying the extra for a Mag Seal reel. I have a concern that these reels will have to go back to Daiwa Service Department for any internal servicing which i am not to keen about. Advice on this will all be taken on board.
    It also appears common that many of these reels have a composite spool and rotor which sends a shiver down my spine.
    At the present stage it seems a toss up between the 5000SW Shimano or the old Catalina 4500 which are very cheap at the moment as they have just been superseded.
    Feed back on all this new technology would be appreciated as well as any suggestions. I do not want the thread to be about Daiwa and Shimano they both make great products at the top end but rather the new technology's being pushed at us.
    Regards to all Dick

Re: Oil seal / mag seal does it work

I always thought that if something like a bearing has moving parts it can't be sealed.

Hi Sevric,

I own 3 of the new Daiwas with the Magseal, and Composite Rotors - 2 new Saltigas, and a new Caldia. The rotor issue is a non issue. I have punished my Saltiga 5000 on large reds, and sharks, and I feel the rotor deflects less than my old school Saltiga 4500. I have pushed my 6500 hard, mostly on really big sharks after they eat my good fish. I feel I am likely to be pulled overboard before I have an issue with that rotor.

As far as Magseal goes, it does make the reels very free spinning compared to the old Saltiga. Has it prevented any water getting in? Can't comment, haven't opened it up.

Like I say to anyone who is concerned with the new technology, get a Stella, you know what you are getting, and most fisho's are not willing to take a gamble (in my opinion). But having used both, my hard earned would go to another Saltiga/New Catalina any day of the week.

Oh, and the spool on my Caldia is aluminium, but has carbon Fibre trim. Maybe that's what they mean by Composite spool.

Cheers,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Hi Sevric,

I own 3 of the new Daiwas with the Magseal, and Composite Rotors - 2 new Saltigas, and a new Caldia. The rotor issue is a non issue. I have punished my Saltiga 5000 on large reds, and sharks, and I feel the rotor deflects less than my old school Saltiga 4500. I have pushed my 6500 hard, mostly on really big sharks after they eat my good fish. I feel I am likely to be pulled overboard before I have an issue with that rotor.

As far as Magseal goes, it does make the reels very free spinning compared to the old Saltiga. Has it prevented any water getting in? Can't comment, haven't opened it up.

Like I say to anyone who is concerned with the new technology, get a Stella, you know what you are getting, and most fisho's are not willing to take a gamble (in my opinion). But having used both, my hard earned would go to another Saltiga/New Catalina any day of the week.

Oh, and the spool on my Caldia is aluminium, but has carbon Fibre trim. Maybe that's what they mean by Composite spool.

Cheers,
    Ben
    Thanks for that Ben. We already have a SW5000 Shimano and Daiwa Z6000 and an old Saltiga 4500 Blast. It is the Blast that has really been the surprise package. At about 8 years old now it has never given a moments problem and probably gets the most work hence me looking at the old model Catalina, basically the same only waterproof.
    The new technology of Magseal does pose a few issues for us with any in reel service requirements. I understand how it works but unsure if it works. According to the spiel it lasts longer than the Z gearbox waterproofing but time will tell i guess. The older model Saltiga's have been bullet proof. Another SW5000 has also been on the short list as the one we have has been great but a water Proof reel is a bit of a draw card. It is a wonder that Shimano have not attempted this to the best of my knowledge anyway.
    Regards to all Dick

If you can still get an older Catalina I would grab it as it would be cheap. If you wanted to save a few bucks the Twinpower SW 5000 is a brilliant little reel and waterproofed plus a little smaller than the 4500 Catalina but much lighter. I doubt you would notice the difference between that and a Stella 5000. The older FC Twinpower was also waterproof but not sure if you can grab one of those now. I agree with your concerns on the magseal and servicing. It may work out ok but at this point in time it's up in the air.
    For a slightly bigger option if I was to get another reel similar to a 6000 sized Shimano (4500 Daiwa) it would be a Penn Torque 5. It looks the same size as the Catalina 4500 and a far better reel.

Since the review below Penn have released an upgraded model to deal with those issues so it looks like it would be an awesome reel. You would not see the rotor issue on the Torque 5 anyway.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/trqs.html

Thanks for that TIM D and Daintreeboy,
    I was unaware that Shimano made a waterproof version of any reel, it certainly is a bit of a draw card if they do. I can purchase a Daiwa Catalina old model and have it delivered for $409. Although old in technology it has a great reputation. We do not chase GT's or do a lot of casting with the reel so weight is of little concern. Solid reliability rather than bling is our way of doing things i guess but i will be looking a little more closely at the Twinpower SW5000. Thanks for the links and the info greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Sevric; 10-05-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Regards to all Dick

I wouldn't bother with any research mate. For that price I'd just go ahead and get one. Where abouts are you getting them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    I wouldn't bother with any research mate. For that price I'd just go ahead and get one. Where abouts are you getting them from?
    There was a few in Aus still left at Ray Annes in SA now gone and some in Armadale Angling now gone. Best availiable is now and very cheap http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/d.../catalina.html
    Regards to all Dick