Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Re: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    i noticed the other day some fraying or delamination of the fibres in the last two metres of the line. i have also noticed a few fibres in the braid leader knot on occasions also. i have checked my guides on a near new rod twice and cannot see a crack in the inserts although it can be difficult to see... The nanofil was used on about ten fishing trips. The last two metres of the braid would last about one to two trips before 'replacement' due to the large lengths needed to tie my connection. Has anyone noticed this fraying in the nano before.
    yea mate i posted on here earlier about the fraying. cant work out why it happens. checked my rods too. i will say though, the more i have used it the more i like it.

cheers, aaran.

yep,im another fan of this line,in fact even old fireline stands above others for me.

Im using 6lb nano on a Tierra 2500 on a 7ft daiwa tournament that i use to chase flathead,absolutely beautiful to use,cast a mile,feels every single bump and bite,havnt had a wind knot in 100 hours of fishing,very strong and at $39 comes in cheaper than other brand names. Just wish they made a few other colours,im sure its not far off though.

you can buy it from the US on ebay for $26 delivered.
    Last edited by softplasticsdude79; 08-10-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: wrong description

I haven't seen much in the way of serious fraying though you do see an occasional fiber come out of place (if you look hard enough).

still - so far so good at this stage

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I haven't seen much in the way of serious fraying though you do see an occasional fiber come out of place (if you look hard enough).

still - so far so good at this stage

Chris
    this wasnt a stray fibre. this was some serious fraying. in terms of durability i dont think it matches it with PE. stil like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    this wasnt a stray fibre. this was some serious fraying. in terms of durability i dont think it matches it with PE. stil like it though.
    I agree - Its never going to match a good PE ...... except when it comes to not picking out wind knots Its here that it beats every other fine diameter braid ... hands down !
    Having the confidence to rip into a cast on light spin gear has it leaps and bounds ahead of the rest (IMO) ....... add to that a favorable price & it is just hard to beat when it comes to a line to fish off light spin tackle.
    I know I've tried many braids / FCs in the 4 & 6lb class over the years and the nano is the stand out (spin).

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I took the 6lb outfit into the mangroves today with a 35 bubblepop on the other end and found it hard to control, mainly cuz by the time i could see the lure it was already hitting a tree. Apart from that overshooting problem it worked flawlessly again.
    Might change the rod for mangrove flats work to solve the overshooting.
    Previously with normal braids I was getting about 15 metres out of the 35 bubblepop, nanofil changed that to 20m+.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I took the 6lb outfit into the mangroves today with a 35 bubblepop on the other end and found it hard to control, mainly cuz by the time i could see the lure it was already hitting a tree. Apart from that overshooting problem it worked flawlessly again.
    Might change the rod for mangrove flats work to solve the overshooting.
    Previously with normal braids I was getting about 15 metres out of the 35 bubblepop, nanofil changed that to 20m+.
    It does cast well ......when I was up at curtis Is last month I found that I put a few into the mangroves without any real effort.
    It would be nice if they could manage to colour it .....!

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just throwing it out there ....... Has anyone used Nanofil and found that they have a better line / braid ...... what is it & what outfit is it fished off - it would be interesting to know

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just spooled my Stradic with 6lb nanofill last week.
    Went fishing today looking for trevally.
    Actually found some! First one hit,hooked, gone, next to no line strain. Just snapped no resistance at all.
    Thought that maybe the line was cut with sharp trevor fins.
    Put some more 12lb leader on. Double uni knot. same thing. Line snapped at the leader. No resistance!
    Had a little bit of 12 mono in fishing bag. Joinedabout 30 metres of that to the Nanofil main line, then 30 lb leader. Again double Uni.
    The knots were fine.
    Hooked up to something really good. Taking line so fast it wasn't funny. The reel was smoking!!!!
    Soon as I got to the nanofil it snapped like cotton.
    Will never even think about using it again.
    Never ever!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marzoe View Post
    Actually found some! First one hit,hooked, gone, next to no line strain. Just snapped no resistance at all.
    Put some more 12lb leader on. Double uni knot. same thing. Line snapped at the leader. No resistance!
    Had a little bit of 12 mono in fishing bag. Joinedabout 30 metres of that to the Nanofil main line, then 30 lb leader. Again double Uni.
    The knots were fine.
    Hooked up to something really good. Taking line so fast it wasn't funny. The reel was smoking!!!!
    Never ever!!!!!
    That's not good to hear

What do you think that the problem was ? .........

The Nanofil that I have been using 4,6 & 8lb is still going fine ....... In fact I just got back from a week away fishing the creeks around "The Narrows" (Gladstone) & Baffle Creek and caught the best part of 40 fish ..... ranging from pikey bream, fingermark & cod through to Tarpon and Barra - all on 6lb Nanofil -
    ....... Still to this date not a wind knot to be seen on 3 different outfits ........ so my opinion on the stuff has not changed.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The knots were fine.
    Never ever!!!!!

mmmm,not sure either,each to there own,I have bagged plenty of fish since i spooled with nanofil,and cannot fault it,there is next to no stretch but a rods length worth of leader,and the right drag setting,and bobs your uncle.

its the only line ill be spooling for a while

Adam
    Last edited by softplasticsdude79; 13-11-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spealiing miztakes

Mmmmm. Maybe I got a bad batch. Pretty peeved just the same!

Seems the old nanofil is not all it cracked up to be.

''Double uni knot. same thing. Line snapped at the leader. No resistance!''

''Soon as I got to the nanofil it snapped like cotton''

strange mate. it doesnt just brake so its possible you got a bad sample or something else is going on.....so just trying to work it out, where exactly did your line breaks/come apart? You said it snapped at the leader. Did you get your knot back or just nano?

When you say ''Soon as I got to the nanofil it snapped like cotton'' you confuse me. If you tied some mono on to the main line (nano) and then a leader your nano would be first onto your reel, then the mono, then the leader (if its long enough).

Anyway mate, unlucky on the trevs.

Maybe not >>>>>

I use a knot known as the Harro Knot ( a version of the improved albright) and it works really well - While mucking around one day , I tried a couple of other knots and it broke rather quickly with little tension (so I thought)
    when line breaks at the knot ....... It is usually a knot issue
    Now that could be a case of the chosen knot is not the right choice for the line.......knots can break at below 50% of the actual line strength.
    also .... .nanofil seems to break at near enough to the stated breaking strain - a braid (superline) like fireline can break at twice the breaking strain ..... so keep that in mind.

If the Nanofil was breaking away from the knot .... then you may have an issue
    I know some lines have no "shock resistance" ..... a quick tug can snap the line - I've seen this with Castaway , Super PE & Bawo braids

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO