Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input??

Re: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input?

What's your starting procedure Malby?

Check to see if you have choke plates or an enricher device. If choke plates, when you press the choke button you will here a click and see the choke plates cover the carby throats (cowl off of course).

If choke plate model proceed as follows:

1) raise warm up lever to 3/4 height or thereabouts
    2) hold key pushed in to activate choke and keep held in whilst cranking. It is only choking whilst the key is held in.

It should fire within a couple of seconds. When it does quickly bring the fast idle lever back down a bit so it doesn't rev it's tits off. If that stalls it then repeat the process. Work the warm up lever to keep it at a fast idle for around 30 seconds then you should be able to drop the lever all the way down.

If an enricher model the procedure is very similar except that the enrichener works like a bucket with a hole in it. Press and hold the key to activate the enricher. Hold it down for 5 seconds BEFORE releasing and then cranking. The 5 seconds allows the enricher device to drain one of the carbs float bowls into the crankcase.

The cold telltale is not a concern.

There is no thermostat in your engine per se. The block has restrictor holes in the outlet that control the flow rate of water exiting the block, hence acting as a thermostat.

Oil leaking down the leg I wouldn't be too concerned about as mentioned. What it needs if it's been owned by an old codger is a nice big, hard, hi speed, flat knacker, screaming run! That's not a flippant remark but a genuine comment. Drain the fuel if it's old (older than 8 weeks) and put fresh fuel in using Quicksilver oil and take it for a hard long run.

Whenever I bought boats in for yard stock I always took them for a good hard run but would always stay close to shore. Like, 200m offshore and run for 5-10 k's down and then back. It's a good shakedown which will let you know how the engine performs, is it propped right and is the engine height right and are there any odd behaviors from the hull (eg: porpoising, burying the nose, heavy heavy steering pull etc)

You can run her dry (at idle) each tine you put her away if you like. Not really an issue if you use it regularly but it's fine to do that. Little bit old school though!

Cheers

Re: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input?

Starting these engines is nothing more than the correct technique Malby.

Once you get it right it will start very quickly every time.

I used to get customers ring to say 'we are having trouble starting the engine'. They would bring it back down and be amazed at how quickly it could be started - with the correct technique. That used to happen often.

Wouldn't hurt also to learn how to pull start it. It's pretty easy and I don't say that in relation to just your engine. Everyone should know how to pull start their engine in case of battery failure.

It's simple and provides real comfort knowing if your battery is dead you can still start your engine. A mate of mine (marine repairer for 45 yrs) at the age of 75 could still pull start a Merc V6.

Cheers

disregard my thermostat comment then malby if it doesn't have one. i agree with BM, get the knack right for your starts, the old mercs were notorious for cranky starting if you didn't use the exact right procedure, or at least my old one was.

our blackmax was an enricher type choke and the procedure BM says is spot on, i used to only count to 3 though with the key pressed in. i found out the hard way at first with the blackmax (because i initially thought it was a restrictor type choke) that if i held it on too long it just flooded the krap out of it and when it did start there was a good smokescreen.

Well after 9.5 years, 2 engine upgrades ( currently a 100 Yammy 4 Stroke), floor and custom designed transom replacement, new seats and Wave Master pedestals, new seat upholstery on the forward seats, a bow rail, a step and ladder, various sounder and GPS upgrades as well as transducer upgrades, custom live bait tank, deck wash, new steering wheel and dashboard area she is looking slicker than ever. She has given me and my family and mates many hours of joy and countless fishing adventures. But I am finally considering an upgrade in size. I am considering going up to either a Reef Ranger, Explorer 570 and Outsider just to name a few. Anyone ever owned a Explorer 570? If so feedback would be great as well as any of the others stated. If I can fit a photo or two on here with the small picture requirements I will. Like many I have been using Facebook groups for many years now but thought I'd check in on good old ausfish to get your thoughts too. Cheers, MalAttachment 122868Attachment 122869

Ausfish Platinum Member

She sounds a bit like the proverbial Irishman's axe, if you have heard the joke... Merry Xmas

Sorry Ranmer, no I haven't ??

Geez u had a good run Malby 2011 to 2020-2021 did u ever replace the plywood floor, stringers or transom?

Ausfish Platinum Member

The joke goes-- the old irishman was talking about his axe. "Had it since I was a boy. Lasted all me life. Seven new handles and two new heads, they don't make them like that anymore"

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    The joke goes-- the old irishman was talking about his axe. "Had it since I was a boy. Lasted all me life. Seven new handles and two new heads, they don't make them like that anymore"
    The longer version goes "Twas handed down to me from my father, who got it from his father, who got it from my great grandfather ......"