Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input??

Re: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input?

Wow!!! What a difference!

Here in Vic, Vicroads act as "an agent" (translation, the fee collector and fee collector only) of Marine Safety Victoria and as such, they really don't give a shit about the details!!! Literally. Oh ok, its a boat. No probs....

Helicoils have been apropriately explained and are common and certainly nothing to get remotely concerned about.

Re powerhead removal. If you broke the bolts and nuts holding the powerhead on I would fall off my chair..... We used to remove an inline powerhead in under 15 minutes.. That should give you some idea as to how easily it is removed.

Malby, I think that you really need to realise that your engine could very well run trouble free for many many years to come! Just because it's an older engine doesn't mean its a piece of crap. However, the adjustments suggested (timing, fuel grade and carb jet size) are learned items to give your engine prolonged life. They are not workarounds for engineering failures. Your engine was built when fuel quality was quite good. Fuel today is SHIT compared to back then (got bad about 1987). Thats why your engine ran well back then. To achieve the same performance today you require premium grade fuel.

As a new engine to you (just like any engine to a 'new' person) it needs a couple of inshore runs to satisfy your reliability concerns. After that, off you go and don't look back.

Your brand new replacement engine could shit itself in the first couple of hours use too which would put you right back to where you are now in terms of reliability concerns.

Give it a few runs to get used to it and then off you go and enjoy yourself mate!

Cheers

Re: Cruise Craft Reef Raider with origianl 87 6 cylinder 115 Mariner? Thoughts/input?

The 750KGincludes boat etc. so you WILL need a saftey certificate and they will possibly want you to drag the rig in for them to inspect. They wanted me to take my new triler there to get it registered earlier this year even though it dint have the boat on at the time.

You can only self assess and register the trailer if the ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass) is 750kgs or less. ATM is the combined weight of the trailer and its full load (ie boat) when it is not coupled to a tow vehicle. If it is over 750kgs you need a safety certificate. When I did mine 2 years ago (ATM 1400kgs) I had to take the trailer, safety certificate and details into a Qld Transport service centre. They actually came out and ran the tape measure over the trailer to check various dimensions.

If you do a search for for registering caravans and light trailers on the Qld Transport web site, you will find all the details.

Regards Phil.

I live in the same area as yourself IcyDuck. Where should I go to get my trailer inspected?

Malby.
    A vehicle inspection place should be able to handle your rwc certificate, and I am pretty sure you don't have to get an insurance permit as it is covered by your car insurance.
    Cheers .
    Bob.

Not all inspection stations do trailers. I took mine to Brisbane Isuzu. They're on the Eastern Service Road at Burpengary. I'm pretty sure that they still do them Malby, but give them a call to check.

Regards Phil.

there's a number of trailer and caravan places in the industrial estate behind the sundowner as well. maybe try the trailer joint on morayfield road, they do repairs and servicing so might do safety certificates.

All fixed I have found a few places and it can be as cheap as $38 which is my best price thus far.

Thanks Phil. I am having it inspected next week. Just wondering, am I able to bring the trailer in with the boat on it or does the trailer have to come in minus the boat? It would be a real pain if they expect me to come in with just the trailer???

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    Thanks Phil. I am having it inspected next week. Just wondering, am I able to bring the trailer in with the boat on it or does the trailer have to come in minus the boat? It would be a real pain if they expect me to come in with just the trailer???
    Yeh, with the boat is fine Malby. Those prices you quoted are quite cheap too. I'm sure I paid more than that 2 years ago.

Mate...do as BM suggests. Get the small adjustments done and go for a few trips close in or with friends until you get confidence in the motor. This would be a must for any engine not just an older one.
    The chances are the motor will run for years to come.
    I have a lot older Merc. then yours (78 model) and I would not swap it for quids.
    We did what BM said but to start with we had a mechanic check it all out properly and do a major service.
    We then did a few trips close by until the engine earned it's reliable tag and off we went.
    We've had the boat and engine since 2001 and the only thing that's happened to it in all that time is the normal servicing and we had a sticky needle in the top carb one day. A tap on the bowl and she came good and never a problem since.
    So that's close to 11 years of service for us with no drama's.

The only picture that doesn't not look like a champion is the first one.
    Is that silicon they've used as gasket goo? If so then clean her up, shove on a couple of new gaskets and you'll be good to go.
    The rest of the pictures look really, really good.
    It has been well looked after if the pictures are anything to go on.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    Thanks Finga. I would be most keen to have a loan of both the manual and the flash bore camera. Do you ever come down Morayfield/Caboolture way. PM me for further info on how to go about loaning this stuff as it would be good to check and see.
    PM sent
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I started and ran the motor for about 10 mins on Saturday before taking it all off to the Trimmer for new bimini and covers re-stitch. It took a while to start - in fact several go's. Eventually it kicked off and I ran it at idle speed and I noticed a few things by comparison to my old blue stripe 1980 50 Merc.

1. It blew a fair bit of smoke for the whole time.
    2. The tell tale remained cold the whole 10 mins?? My Merc 50 gets quite warm after just 3 or 4 mins.
    3. Some oil began dripping down the leg when I raised the engine to get it ready to drive off.

Keep in mind that this engine probably has not been run much for the past 18 months. Also that the petrol mixture was not made up by me so I have no idea how rich he had made the fuel mixture?

One question...After running my blue stripe 50 I always finished by disconnecting the fuel line and running her dry to keep the carby's clean and oli free. Should I be doing that with this inline 6 115?

g'day mal, with regards to the cold watercheck your thermostat is working properly.

smoking when cold is what 2 strokes do best, my old black max used to leave a good solid smoke screen at the ramp. that being said, if old mate didn't use it that much i'd be having a good hard think about maybe getting all the old fuel out of the system (including carby, lines and filter etc.) and replacing it with new stuff. if it's been sitting for a while and only ever idled on the muffs between trips there's probably a turdload of oil in the crankcase and a heap sitting in the carby bowls which needs to get sucked through and burnt. i reckon after checking your thermostat works ok, just take it down the river and go for a good blast to get it good and hot and clear it out. all that oil dripping off the leg should only be the half burnt oil being sucked out the crank case.