Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Re: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Chris
    This is a popular notion among rec fishers. But it begs the question where do those people who aren't rec fishers get a feed of fish? Import it?
    Firstly - you dont need to close all estuaries ....... secondly a lot of species can be farmed !
    The best of our seafood is already exported....... lets keep it here as we already pay top dollar
    Netting does more halm than good .......... in this day and age we should be developing aquaculture rather than sticking to old inefficient practices .
    I think if the numbers were available - the economy would gain more from recreational fishing than from commercial.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Always knew you had a SOH M8

What i've tried to point out is that from recent/actual (newly-elected) LNP's in wa/Vic/NSW* is the cost of RecFishos' fishing is to go UP....
    * [Timiboy , NSW is presently proposing? to allow Comms , 3T/perday to net Salmon , after the "biomass" has obviously improved , due to BANNING the netting of Salmon previously]

p.s. can't remember any "pre-election" promises of RecFisho costs , going UP
    but we have Mark MP bleating about a "Carbon Tax" making costs 2 fish , go up , so he must be saying/indicating....
    DUE TO THE CARBON TAX , the LNP will endorse cost of fishing GOING UP

p.p.s. haven't seen any denials.....hv U M8 :P
    Can someone please tell me what the bold blue bits mean??

And I thought FNQCairns was difficult to understand.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Firstly - you dont need to close all estuaries ....... secondly a lot of species can be farmed !
    The best of our seafood is already exported....... lets keep it here as we already pay top dollar
    Netting does more halm than good .......... in this day and age we should be developing aquaculture rather than sticking to old inefficient practices .
    I think you the numbers were available - the economy would gain more from recreational fishing than from commercial.

Chris
    Fair enough. The aquaculture argument is complicated given problems with bio-remediation, rearing techniques through the larval stages, a lack of variety in farmed species and land availability close to adequate water sources. How do you feel the Pumicestone Passage is fishing now that commercial netting has been banned for 10 years?

It shouldn't be a case of closing off all estuaries and inshore areas to netting, but strategically allocate net free areas that allow for species to spawn and feed which then provides spillover to netted areas. The NSW example of Recreational Fishing Havens where there are 209 less inshore commercial netters operating in 29 less locations with a resulting stabilisation and in some species an increase in commercial catch statistics, is what we must do in Qld.

Then there is the useage of the netted fish which aren't always being directed towards human consumption which is not appropriate.

The development of the aquaculture industry supplements the supply of fish further again.

The argument that the non-fishing general public requires the current netting arrangements so as to be supplied with locally caught fish product is a furphy. The vast majority of locally caught fish are either sent interstate or overseas and the vast majority of locally supplied fish is imported.

We just have to become smarter about how we harvest our wild fish and how we protect our commercial species. Because if we don't, then there won't in the not too distant future, be any netted wild fish to supply to anywhere and everybody loses.

Lindsay Dines

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post

SOH- Sense of Humour
    M8 - mate
    Comms- commercial fishermen
    hv U M8 havee you mate.
    due to BANNING the netting of salmon prviously- dont know Finger cant work that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post

Geez Finga-down-throat
    I hope you spell correctly the scientific name of the "worm" your chomping on....

When going down , & when coming back up !!! LOL

back to the carbon tax - how stupid do we in Australia look now "leading the world" with our highest price carbon tax after:

1. the recent failure of Durban to achieve anything meaningful from a global perspective re agreement on a legally binding treaty - fantastic the wheels are finally falling off this gravy train
    2. Canada's withdrawal this week from Kyoto - you bewdy - smart move guys - now let's watch the others follow
    3. Europe's dumping of truckloads of carbon credits into the market and crashing the price
    4. NZ dropping their Minister for Climate Change from the front bench plus their carbon price has crashed from $16.60 in May to $7.18 last week - watch them dump the whole thing soon....don't forget we're locked into $23!!

how much longer do we have to put up with this nonsense? Without exception I think everybody believes reducing pollution is a good thing but do we really need to make everything we do - including the pleasure of wetting a line - more expensive to achieve it? I think not and I believe we're now seeing a real awakening to the Climate Change scam for what it is - a licence to print money for those in the loop and a cost impost for everyone else that's not.
    cheers Rob

Warning...Footage below contains material which some vieweres (hopefully most) find offensive:

WWF deny responsibility for this add....but they commissioned it, then the add team was fired post production, and post being released on the web.

There was a thread a while ago about anti green sentiment on this site. I argued the point that most people on ausfish are very environment aware, it's just that they are pragmatic, and don't base their opinions on environmental ideals IMO.

The video above is inaccurate and offensive. No doubt, the objective of the add was to shock the viewer into a response. Its this notion that the ends justify the means, this mentality that is common place amongst "people sympathetic to the Green Party" I know, because they know better. It is this mentality that has seemed to have infiltrated main stream politics, via the minority government situation, and the current government's willingness to allow their agenda to be rail roaded by the greens. At what point does Julia say, OK, I am going to lie to the Australian people like never before. I am disgusted at the way the Labor party has sold their soul to the Greens. Labor is better than this, and to blame it all on the minority government is a cop out. Labor/Greens deserve to be absolutely crushed at the next election, and I hope it is a landslide and that the Labor party take something from it, dont sell out your core values and dont treat the people of Australia with such contempt. We dont expect alot from our politicians, but Julia and co, you have really lowered the bar.

I think this has resulted in a lot of angst in the community, and this is reflected in ausfish. I have been a member since 08, and I can't recall seeing so many angry/political threads (of which I have been involved in)

The reason why I dont want a carbon Tax is because I was lied to, and never given the chance to vote on such a ridiculous scheme, and it was pushed upon us by people who are sympathetic to the video in this thread. Forget about the pros/cons of the tax, the mere fact that this government holds such contempt for the australian people as to not let them decide on what is a major reform should be reason alone for anyone to say NO to this tax.

Quote..... from Matt Campbell..... has the fishing improved after a 10 year netting ban in the pumerstone passage

Matt i can say that after a 10 year ban of netting in the passage has not made a difference to my fishing...... but the influx of rec fishers over that 10year period has made a big difference.
    Last edited by chris69; 21-12-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: adding more

I am still quite bemused at the non action and tight lipped response from the government regarding the Gladstone harbor issue.
    I think in reality Australia is not 100% Australian owned, many overseas stakeholders and they are huge global conglomerate companies.
    The government looks like it is pissing in the sea to raise the sea level in this matter.

Have we seen any real data come from the harbor?
    It doesn't take much to test and monitor... of course not, you would have more chance of finding a Christmas card in a Muslim gift shop.

EDIT: and now local folks are losing jobs and businesses! That is a double fail from Labor and the Greens combined.

Would the other Government be any better or worse? One has to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post

Would the other Government be any better or worse? One has to ponder...
    A very valid question and one that I thought was clear cut is not so anymore. All I want for Xmas is Abbott to be given the boot so we have a solid alternative. The more I see of him the more it scares me.

i agree with you cam, on the federal front i can't stand ms gillard but i think i like mr abbott less. at a state level i can't stand ms bligh, i actually like mr newman but his lnp is disorganised and in danger of losing the unloseable election.

come on you blokes..Tony Abbott for President.

yer, has that Rasputin look about him........

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    come on you blokes..Tony Abbott for President.
    As long as it isnt Prime Minister...