Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Re: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Sevric View Post
    Yesterday they released the official cost of living and cpi figures and report, something that Finga was spot on about in his larger than normal spray at government. For the life of me i can not understand how the government can base peoples incomes and pensions on the cpi when they say power actually fell in the last quarter; this is simply a blatant rip off by the government of the people who can least afford it. I am quite simply disgusted in them all.
    Mate. If you've been in my shoes for as long as I have you'll take every opportunity to have a go at the scum sucking bast@rds who are wrecking your life just so they can make themselves seem to be doing a better job then what they are.
    I have been on income protection insurance since my accident in 1997 so I am not bludging on welfare. I pay taxes and I get no benefits from any government or body. What I get from my insurance policy is what I live on.
    My income is indexed to grow with the CPI.
    In 1998 I could live a life of relative comfort on my insurance payments.
    Now I look for any place I can to save a dollar.
    That is why I asked what the income of an average back bencher was in '97 and now. See if their income has only increased by the CPI.

FNQCairns dude....do you really reckon the CPI figure released yesterday is going to stick and carry over until end of next financial?
    They'll change the rules now so the figure will become lower just so it'll seem they're doing a better job then they are.
    To work out the CPI they should just see what an average family with 3 kids who earns averages wages spend their wages on.
    Not everyone buys a new telly, get a new wardrobe of cloths and go flying around the countryside on a holiday every month but those items have the same loading as food and essentials such as power, water and the cost of transport.
    I don't know about the rest of you, but there's no way in hell my cost of living has only increased by 3.6% over the last 12 months.
    Seems to me all fees/charges/essentials like water, electricity and rates have gone up at least 10%
    My local council has told us their CPI is 10% so how can it be national CPI is 3.6%.
    My rates have gone up 10%....my income 3.6%
    The cost of power has gone up, will go up ?%. My income...3.6%
    Here's a kick in the guts....My insurance policy has gone up 8.9%. My income 3.6%

So you can get milk and bread for a $1 a loaf and $1 a litre. That is not where the bulk of people money goes in the grocery bill. What about the cost of meat and veg and fish?
    What's a T-bone steak worth now?
    All those categories they base the cpi on should be loaded so they reflect the proportion they constitute in the average families budget. Not equal loading.
    To see the categories and see how much they've gone up look here
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6401.0

It's basically a load of sh!t I reckon....but it make Governments look better then what they are which is what is seems is the main priority of government now-a-days.
    To make themselves look good.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Finga i support you more than you are probably aware. You see i also am in the same boat as you on a an income following a work accident in 98. I know how hard it is when your income is tied to these blatantly false figures. Having to cope with an ever decreasing income and not being able to do anything about it other than vote is frustrating. I agree with you 100% that these figures released just yesterday only try to make the government look good; they are designed to try and keep them in power, nothing else. I enjoyed your spray at Mark; took the words from my mouth. I would love one of these politicians to live on my income for 12 months and then see if they made the same decisions.
    Regards to all Dick

i'm with you mike, someone's gotta doing something radical when their power bill is $1k a quarter, of course i can understand if you're running a business. we run a swimming pool, a bore, 2 tank pumps, 2 living areas of a/v equipment, a big fridge, a chest freezer and a little beer fridge for around $350 a quarter including ambo levy. we do however have gas hot water and gas stove that runs for around $100 a quarter. we have a 1.2kW pv system (that a lot of people on here seemed to think is a rort). we use a wood stove at night in winter (hope i don't have to pay bobcat steve any carbon tax for his 75yo ironbark). i reckon the biggest household energy cost is refrigeration, whether it be fridges or a/c. a lot of people i know use a/c very heavily all year round to make themselves "comfortable" and then can't understand why their power bill is so high.

a bit of intelligent use of the brain when buying or building a house can certainly save a fortune on energy costs in the long run, and in the government's infinite wisdom, instead of this intelligent design being subsidised the only compensation is a lower power bill. as you may have guessed, i'm all for energy prices reflecting the true value of energy, including it's cost to the environment, i just hate the concept of a new "means tested" compensation package for a tax that's supposed to be saving our planet. i hate the thought that i've worked hard enough and used my brain well enough to create an energy efficient house/lifestyle and now i've gotta pay more tax than someone who hasn't done this simply because our household income means i don't get any compensation ............ the f#$%ers!

stepping off soapbox now ...........

I'm sorry to hear your in the same boat as me Dick.
    It would be surprising to see just how many people are on long term insurance like we are.
    So your as worried as me if the price of green prawns goes up by 32c/kilo??
    Yeah, thought so. There's more important things to worry about isn't there and when a politician thinks he can persuade us to vote for them by saying the cost of fishing is going to increase but it may not with his mob (remember they're only committed)...well he's delusional.

Oh looky see.
    They are changing the rules for how the CPI is calculated.

Things are to be seasonally adjusted now.

Do you reckon it'll be a higher or lower number then the old system using the same data?
    What a crock.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6401.0

So there's another for your list KC....seasonally adjusted.

it's all blue sky mining isn't it finga. have a look at the link i chucked in the bilge for the darwin show's cake comp. i've just had a little outburst of laughter in our normally quiet office.

3.6% ???

I WISH !!

What a sad joke.

You don't have to be greedy or ungrateful to call 3.6% a busload of bs. You just have to be awake.

And any changes they make as to how they come up with the next load of tripe for us will still be a mile short of reality, simply because it'd be so much more damning for them to tell the truth (assuming they recall how to tell the truth in the first place)

There seems to be something wrong with the latest CPI figure of 3.6%.

People arent buying much stuff any more like clothing etc etc, and apparently we've become a nation of savers. Any wonder why? Does anybody still buy stuff like those lamb chops that are about $30 per kilo? We don't.

What about government charges and costs like electricity, water, rates, car rego etc, not to mention car insurance, house insurance and other costs that we have no choice but to pay. Are these things taken into account when the CPI figures are calculated?

Something looks a bit dodgy about all this.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    i'm with you mike, someone's gotta doing something radical when their power bill is $1k a quarter, of course i can understand if you're running a business. we run a swimming pool, a bore, 2 tank pumps, 2 living areas of a/v equipment, a big fridge, a chest freezer and a little beer fridge for around $350 a quarter including ambo levy. we do however have gas hot water and gas stove that runs for around $100 a quarter. we have a 1.2kW pv system (that a lot of people on here seemed to think is a rort). we use a wood stove at night in winter (hope i don't have to pay bobcat steve any carbon tax for his 75yo ironbark). i reckon the biggest household energy cost is refrigeration, whether it be fridges or a/c. a lot of people i know use a/c very heavily all year round to make themselves "comfortable" and then can't understand why their power bill is so high.

a bit of intelligent use of the brain when buying or building a house can certainly save a fortune on energy costs in the long run, and in the government's infinite wisdom, instead of this intelligent design being subsidised the only compensation is a lower power bill. as you may have guessed, i'm all for energy prices reflecting the true value of energy, including it's cost to the environment, i just hate the concept of a new "means tested" compensation package for a tax that's supposed to be saving our planet. i hate the thought that i've worked hard enough and used my brain well enough to create an energy efficient house/lifestyle and now i've gotta pay more tax than someone who hasn't done this simply because our household income means i don't get any compensation ............ the f#$%ers!

stepping off soapbox now ...........
    cheap bill is 1k / quarter..running..2 fridges..3 freezers..TV and sound system are always on standby..air cond on all the time in summer..not often in winter. 2 PC's on all the time. small a/c in office on all the time but it uses bugger all power. I have no idea why so much but I may start looking into it. Summer bill is aorund $1800.

So in short Mark...
    Who gives a flying f@$% if the carbon tax increases the cost of fishing.
    We have more pressing matters to consider to simply live let alone enjoy a bit of recreation.
    Fix them and the cost of fishing will fix itself.
    Quite simple really. No wonder a politician never thought of it eh.
    So what is your mob going to do about it Mark??
    I mean DO, as in CanDo, not commit to do.

Maybe their slogan should be CanBe....... committed....and that's about all we'll do about it you bunch of gullible dipsh!ts.

youch, that's a ripper power bill pinhead and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything real radical either. do ya reckon it's worth paying the 50 bucks and getting the powerwise guy out to check it all out?

Greg, its those subwoofers mate
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Greg, its those subwoofers mate
    hehe Mike..they just shake the walls a lil bit.

Don't shoot!

Anyone else seen this?

http://kzoo.co/VyQHed

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    . I've simply backed a horse, and I'm riding it like a $2 hooker. Tim
    I love that phrase Tim, years ago I worked with an old guy who used it all the time, havn't heard it in years.

This is for you Mark Robinson..the average Queenslander would not give a rats if you or any of your Cando Jerks or any of the ALP jerks caught on fire..would not piss on any of you.
    Why does a person become a politician? Becasue they cannot get a job anywhere else.
    You are all tarred with the same brush and nothing changes..the Queensland citizen is being treated like some sort of moron whilst Bligh and Newman carry on like idiots.
    let's make no bones about it..Newman did stuff all as Lord mayor..his tunnel went broke..will he do that to the rest of the State?
    The lazy bastard would not even fill one sandbag when the floods were on..I am older than him and i worked until 1am filling snadbags..he just turned up and said thanks and disappeared..talk about a lazy bastard...I challenged him to styand beside me and so some work but he just gave that inane grin..the bloke is gutless.
    and Bligh..well..the less said the better.
    You come on here and other sites carrying on about fishing crap..that is a pastime..you mob cannot even give us a policy..that is gutless.
    What will newman do about lowering my electricity bills and my water bills?
    I can answer that for you..absolutely nothing.
    Not one sitting pollie has any balls..all just a gutless bunch feeding on the public purse.
    If you don't like my appraisal of our pathetic, so called leadership Mark..i really don't care..anytime you want to debate the issues in public with me I am ready but duck for cover when the realities are
    launched at you. What was once a great State has been bastardised by a bunch of santimonious dopes intent on nothing but lining their own pockets and egos at our expense.