Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Re: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

yeah, his new party is an alternative but as far as remaining truly independent, well that's now been compromised when the group/party's interests may not be that of his electorate.

i guess i just admired Bob Katter's strength of character and true passion for representing his constituents. i listen to a bit of JJJ and they have this current affairs show in the late arvies called "hack", anyhow they did a bit of a weeklong special focussing on queensland because it's an economic boom state. the presenter interviewed bob katter and after the interview went to air (obviously pre-recorded and bob's not there) the presenter commented on how impressed he was with bob's energy and his style of politics and how much he though guys like bob had to offer our country. now you guys have to bear in mind that this is a youth radio presenter, from down south, commenting on possibly the most redneck, outspoken north queensland MP that australia has on offer. it does say a bit about his style hey. i still reckon the country needs about 20 bob katters but i dunno if we need a bob katter political party because i'd hate to see the man descend into the fiasco that was pauline hanson.

have a look at their core values they are to vote what their is best for their electorate not along party lines
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I'm with you Paddles and would also hate to see Katter's party end up like Hanson...but I don't think it will. He has political experience (she had none), he is always well researched and does not go off half baked on "nutcase" ideas and he is surrounded with good and experienced back roomers (Hanson clearly was not). I also think Hanson had a very narrow appeal and Bob has a pretty broad base of both ideas and support. I am aware that "his" party allows basically a concience position to be taken by any of its elected members, provided they fall within the framework of its core values, which leaves it pretty open for any Katter Party elected members to vote FOR their own electorate, not along party lines. The party is more about a collective of like minded independants, rallying around 1 mans vision and electoral appeal, not a standard political structure. Works for me. I have been amazed, since taking an interest, every time you broach the subject of Katter, at a dinner party or just in general conversation "at the pub"...after a few minutes of careful comment, as soon as a few start to show support, the support become almost overwhelming. It's like people really are afraid to admit they support the guy (perhaps from fear of ridicule)..and then, as soon as it is apparent that most people actual do support what he stands for..they are all happy to "hang it out".

I am unsure how he will go come election time but would not be at all surprised if he exceeded Hansons vote and ends up in a balance of power role in the Qld parliment.

THEN we will see some changes...and they will be for the better.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by Coodgee View Post
    Hi Mark, I generally drink spirits instead of beer, will the carbon tax be applied to spirts as well? Also, you said our rods will go up, does that mean they will be charging a tax on the rods we already own? I have 5 rods, how much tax will I have to pay? what will happen if I only declare 2 or 3 rods in my shed?
    Any new fishing gear you buy will be more expensive because the tackle shops will pay more for their electricity and will have to pass on the costs in the price of their rods, reels, nets, bait etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Timi it is not that we demand the policies be released right now but rather the fact that Mark has twice now said that the LNP has policies (one that ALP stole and another on a Federal issue) which is clearly not the case. They might be in the process of developing policy or he may have his ideas on where he wants the policy to go but the fact remains they DONT CURRENTLY HAVE A POLICY on the 2 issues Mark has posted on. He is blatently trying to mislead Ausfishers by doing this but it seems only one person is swallowing this tripe. Tanties wont change this fact either mate.
    I am happy to restate and repeat what I said as some people seem to have missed it:

1. The LNP opposes the carbon tax. It will drive up the cost to fish. Rec fishers should oppose federal Labor who want to introduce it and State Labor for not fighting it.
    2. The LNP will not support Labor's snapper bans that they introduced in February/March this year and in my view will re-introduce should they be re-elected. All Labor MPs in the parliament (45 at the time), including the current minister, Craig Wallace, voted FOR snapper bans, stating that their science dictated it. Now they expect rec fishers to believe them that suddenly the science is different? Believable?
    3. Some key fisheries policies will be made public soon (and posted on the CanDo website), with detailed policy once the election is called - that is up to Bligh and Labor, not us.

Perhaps those who are unhappy with this could enlighten AUSFISH members about all the good things that the Qld Labor govt has done for rec fishers in recent years - Green zones, snapper bans, spike in boat rego, higher petrol prices, a planned rec fishing licence (snapper tax), and now supporting federal Labor's carbon tax ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Any new fishing gear you buy will be more expensive because the tackle shops will pay more for their electricity and will have to pass on the costs in the price of their rods, reels, nets, bait etc.
    Un-bloody-believable.
    Some hard questions asked but a when an obviously rhetorical question is asked it's answered.
    Mark...he was having a go at you and all politicians I'd say. Actually I'd nearly lay odds on it.

So what answering some of my bloody questions and questions of others??

Looks like Mike is dead right for what he's said at the top of page 5 of this thread.
    I've done this for the politicians among us because it might be too hard for you to find at the top of page 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    This is starting to feel like Ground Hog Day

1/ Mark has a spray

2/ He gets asked a few hard questions

3/ Mark responds but doesn't actually tell us anything

4/ The natives become restless

5/ Timmi tries to save the day but unfortunately 2 + 2 doesn't = 5, and Aushfishers can count (well most can).

How the hell can I get a job as a polly. They only do what they want to do....and nothing else that may be a bit taxing on the system or a bit hard to manage.
    Know what would happen to me if I had that attitude Mark??
    I'd be in goal because there's a lot of crap you and your mob have inflicted upon me and I have to face it and put up with it every bloody day.

Here's a simple question for you. Why is the national CPI a third of the CPI figure my local council uses??
    or a simpler question....what was the basic salary of a backbencher in 1997 and what's their basic salary now?
    Or should I be marching into Laurence's offices to get them answered??
    If you think yes think again. It seems I cannot get an appointment with him. Maybe he knows I'm a bit of a nutter and I'm p!ssed off with the lot of you.

Here's another question....what happens if Campbell Newman does not win the seat he's contesting??
    It is quite possible.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Add oppose to that list KC.

Mark....for the love of god...can you start just one bloody sentence with we are going to???
    All that you said above says bloody nothing definitively.

Here's a bit of a hand for you polly's on how write something with a bit of meaning.
    We are not going to implement a carbon tax or any tax, fee or charges that may resemble or do the same job as the proposed carbon tax that Julia's mob is proposing and spending a squillion on trying to convince you simple, dumb bast@rds that it's needed and will save the planet.
    If there is a carbon tax or a tax, fee or charge that resembles a carbon tax when we take over the job of head honcho then that tax fee or charge will be given the @rse completely.

See. Not one mention of the word committed or oppose or any of the other words KC has listed.

But that is all at a Federal level and nothing to do with States. What is your mob going to do at a state level so us Queenslanders can go for a fish without the problems we have now Mark?
    Why do I ask that? A 23c increase in the cost of a 1/2 kilo of green prawns is the least of my concerns where the ability to go for a fish is concerned.
    Oh, I forgot. It's a secret.

Mark,

I don't think most of us have an issue with the LNP withholding their policies until an election is called but what does piss people of is withholding policies and continuing to snipe from the sidelines without any foundation to back it up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Mark,

I don't think most of us have an issue with the LNP withholding their policies until an election is called but what does piss people of is withholding policies and continuing to snipe from the sidelines without any foundation to back it up.
    Totally agree, but as there are plenty of LNP policies already out on Campbel's web site (and there are), why do Mark and Tim keep falling back on the excuse that no one can release any policy until the election is called. I think treating us like idiots isn't doing their case any good.

Though in reality is any political parties policy worth the paper it's written on. Below I've pasted the rec fishing policy used by the WA Lib/Nat Coalition to help it win the last WA State election. It sounds like it's what we need here in Qld right now, but within 6 months of winning the election they'd back-flipped and lowered bag limits, implemented more rec fishing licences, and increased green zones.

RECREATIONAL FISHING AND BOATING
    The Liberal Party has long recognised the cultural and economic value of recreational fishing and boating in Western Australia. Recreational boating and fishing is a way of life in WA. There are over 640 000 recreational fishers in Western Australia, and the recreational boating and fishing industries are estimated to be worth over $1.5 billion annually to the state’s economy. Western Australia now boasts the highest per capita boat ownership of any state in Australia with over 85,000 registered boats. However, the Labor Government has simply not considered the needs of Western Australia’s recreational boaters, fishers and associated industries. This arrogant and narrow minded approach needs to change.
    Recreational Fishing
    The seasonal recreational fishing bans introduced by Labor on 24 June 2008 are extremely restrictive. There is no question that it is important for the environment and for the commercial and recreational fishing industries that Western Australia’s fish stocks are well managed into the future. The problem with Labor’s recreational fishing ban, however, is that it was implemented without regard to the lifestyle of WA’s boaters and anglers and without considering the damaging economic impact it will have on the associated boating, tackle and accommodation industries. A Liberal Government will immediately establish an expert recreational fishing panel to review the Labor Government’s ban and evaluate the environmental, social and economic impact of the restrictions, with a view to relaxing the bans. A Liberal Government will be committed to ensuring there is an appropriate balance between the need to manage fish stocks and the ability of Western Australians to enjoy recreational fishing.

No one has missed anything Mark. Stop carrying on like we are idiots..I can assure you we are far from that.
    Can you please tell me which Party implemented the closures in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park?

"Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher"

The title of this thread reiterates what I said previously. You are telling us what we don't want. How about you ask us what we want or don't want..that is your job..not tell us what we want or don't want. It is about time pollies of all persuasions started remembering that.

Far out ...... another political based thread by Mark - who would have guessed
    the title would have been just as appropriate if it were ..... "Why you dont want a carbon tax as an Australian Citizen"
    Ahhh , that's right - this is a fishing forum .

Anyhoos - it's pretty obvious that just about everything will go up once a carbon tax is introduced! ..... it's not rocket science that business will pass any additional costs on ( plus a little extra for good measure) .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Totally agree, but as there are plenty of LNP policies already out on Campbel's web site (and there are), why do Mark and Tim keep falling back on the excuse that no one can release any policy until the election is called. I think treating us like idiots isn't doing their case any good.

Though in reality is any political parties policy worth the paper it's written on. Below I've pasted the rec fishing policy used by the WA Lib/Nat Coalition to help it win the last WA State election. It sounds like it's what we need here in Qld right now, but within 6 months of winning the election they'd back-flipped and lowered bag limits, implemented more rec fishing licences, and increased green zones.

RECREATIONAL FISHING AND BOATING
    The Liberal Party has long recognised the cultural and economic value of recreational fishing and boating in Western Australia. Recreational boating and fishing is a way of life in WA. There are over 640 000 recreational fishers in Western Australia, and the recreational boating and fishing industries are estimated to be worth over $1.5 billion annually to the state’s economy. Western Australia now boasts the highest per capita boat ownership of any state in Australia with over 85,000 registered boats. However, the Labor Government has simply not considered the needs of Western Australia’s recreational boaters, fishers and associated industries. This arrogant and narrow minded approach needs to change.
    Recreational Fishing
    The seasonal recreational fishing bans introduced by Labor on 24 June 2008 are extremely restrictive. There is no question that it is important for the environment and for the commercial and recreational fishing industries that Western Australia’s fish stocks are well managed into the future. The problem with Labor’s recreational fishing ban, however, is that it was implemented without regard to the lifestyle of WA’s boaters and anglers and without considering the damaging economic impact it will have on the associated boating, tackle and accommodation industries. A Liberal Government will immediately establish an expert recreational fishing panel to review the Labor Government’s ban and evaluate the environmental, social and economic impact of the restrictions, with a view to relaxing the bans. A Liberal Government will be committed to ensuring there is an appropriate balance between the need to manage fish stocks and the ability of Western Australians to enjoy recreational fishing.
    Thanks Mike, good reference. I have highlighted a few bits there in Red to show that a policy now days (and probably always has been) is a rubbery bit of dribble that attributes no actual responsibility on the party to actually implement what they have said they would. This one even tears a piece out of the opposition- it is more like a speach than well written policy. Just goes to show even with a policy we still cant believe what we are told and the words Mark has written in these forums is pretty much as close to policy as the one you have presented us. In other words I just simply dont trust the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    LOL, it's all or nothing with you lot, isn't it?
    M8 ,IF I kicked Mark up the arse ,YOU'd probably feel my kick ....take your headout

I just figured out why Mark's mob hasn't released any policies to do with recreation yet.
    They're waiting for someone else to bring out something worthwhile.....and then pinch it.
    Watch out Bob (the mad hatter) Katter's mob.
    As soon as your policies that have anything to do with recreation are released they're gunna be pinched. It might be an idea to watch all your policies eh Bob

Look's like Mike was right in his appraisal on what was going to happen.

Well I'm committed now. I'm committed to do the following:
    1) become the best bream fisherman in the world
    2) be 6'6" tall and weigh 90kgs
    3) have hair in the right places...on my head and not out my ears
    4) p!ss of pollies unless they promise (not commit) to do something worthwhile for me....and do it. (I'm a greedy bugger when it all boils down but if something worthwhile is done for me then a lot of other people will benefit too)
    5) buy a Rolls Royce
    6) get a job
    7) buy Mod 5 a beer one day
    8) learn how to use plastics instead of using stinky bait
    9) dack Mike Tyson and then punch him in the ear when he bends over to pull his pants up and then tell him he's a nancy girl
    10) stand naked in the Queen Street Mall and sing the anthem whilst hopping around on a pogo stick.
    Bloody hell. I feel like a polly now I've made some commitments.

Guess which two or three I'll give any real conviction to achieve?
    I wonder if political parties and/or politicians give any real conviction to the things they've said they're committed to achieve and then achieve them? Or do they talk bullsh!t?
    Bast@rds.

5 , 9 & 10...lol