Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Re: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

So if we think its a crock we are not alone.

I got sent an article from this mob and heres a few others.

We are being so conned and so so screwed, it would just be sad if it wasn't just such a blatant misrepresentation for the purpose of wealth redistribution with no affect on beneficial CO2. Read these and decide! http://www.lavoisier.com.au/articles...downloaded.php

Pinhead's suggestions for consideration and action by Mark Robinson are a good start. Such changes would allow for some much more appropriate income redistribution (than another tax) that would result in additional employment and productivity to help this state to get on a road to recovery.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Sorry its an ad. Its debate when its raised by a legitamate user on this forum. The only time you hear from this bloke is when pushing his political agenda. It amazes me that when somebody tries to suggest a good supplier of fishing tackle the name or internet adress is blocked out yet this type of stuff is allowed. There are other types of media for this crap. Why is my message too short by 10 characters?

i actually reckon mankind is a little wasteful with non-renewable resources such as fossil fueled electricity, fossil fuel for transport and also with other renewable essentials that are energy hungry to process (such as water). i don't mind fossil fuels being taxed reasonably heavily so that money can be raised to fund research into alternative energy and also to make the resources have a value so they are not squandered. but the negative effects of this carbon tax far outweigh any positive for the australian people and i hope the LNP can come up with a better plan when they replace this present government.

The compensation package for this tax is a farce and maybe Mark can inform us on what was the average electricity bill costing that was used to calculate that part of the compensation package.
    I have spoke to quite a few friends and neighbors around me and the average quarterly electricity bill seems to be around a $1000 per quarter these days.
    We have just copped a 6% price increase and now we have an expected 10% increase due to this new tax.
    Just about very person I have talked to so far will be paying more for the increased electricity charges than they will be receiving in compensation and then they have to battle all of the other price increases caused from this new tax.
    My electricity bill averages out at around $1800 per quarter and that 10% adds up to an extra $720 a year yet I will be getting around $250 in compensation a year.
    A lot of people really need to sit down and spend some time and work out how this tax will effect their disposable income especially with their utilities.
    To me I think they must have used the average electricity bills from a bunch of cavemen or pensioners who live in the dark and eat cold baked beans out of a can.

My electricity bill runs to a little over $300,000 a year (across my business) and I am facing a $40K hike with no compensation at all. My customers would vote with their feet if I try to put prices up as i do not, like an electricity supplier, work in a monopoly. This tax is a shocker and the link above is just another example of why the science is NOT settled.

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    My electricity bill runs to a little over $300,000 a year (across my business) and I am facing a $40K hike with no compensation at all. My customers would vote with their feet if I try to put prices up as i do not, like an electricity supplier, work in a monopoly. This tax is a shocker and the link above is just another example of why the science is NOT settled.
    All businesses will be hit with higher electricity costs. They are faced with trying to absorb it if they can, but many cannot afford that luxury and will have to pass it on - Bait & Tackle shops, boat builders, fish co-ops to cover refridgeration etc. There other option is to down-size and lay off workers. The carbon tax is also a job destroying tax.

The carbon tax will drive up the cost to fish - so I am calling on rec fishers to oppose it before it is too late.

Mark I have been a supporter of yours on this site previously. I have to say though that I am more than a little tired of you bagging the government with no foundation of your own. QLD Labor are dead in the water, surely LNP releasing policies now can not be what loses the unlosable election?

With every outburst from the LNP without an alternative of their own is one step closer my vote goes from the LNP to who ever Bob Katter gets to run in my electorate.

Sorry Mark but it is time to put up or shut up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Mark I have been a supporter of yours on this site previously. I have to say though that I am more than a little tired of you bagging the government with no foundation of your own. QLD Labor are dead in the water, surely LNP releasing policies now can not be what loses the unlosable election?

With every outburst from the LNP without an alternative of their own is one step closer my vote goes from the LNP to who ever Bob Katter gets to run in my electorate.

I'll drink to that and whats more i will shout. Don't ya just hate it when opposition pollies at a state level whip up hysteria on federal issues.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

Thanks Lovey80. I would like nothing more than to have an election soon and to put out fishing policies in detail. But the Premier controls the timing of that. I simply ask for a little more patience and understanding. The problem with too much detail to osoon is that the govt swipes the best aspects, rebadges it and calls it theirs. The snapper ban, if Labor can be believed was a classic. We consistently argued for sustainability without bans. In March in parliament we were condemned by the govt for our policy position. ALL Labor MPs voted FOR snapper bans (for they said the science dictated it), ALL LNPS MPs voted AGAINST snapper bans. Now, in June, the new minister announces sustainability without snapper bans as if they always held that view. Our strong opposition to the govt's snapper bans and the anger among rec fishers caused a political backdown - though it is hardly believable that they will stick to it once the Greens apply the pressure. So, Lovery80, I am still listening and taking on board ideas and feedback so that when we put final policy to the people it will come from genuine consultation and will be aimed at real solutions, not political fixes to stay in power. I hope you can wait a little while longer. Don't right us off yet
    Regards,
    Mark

Mark, the snapper ban is all so small fish compared to the duties the next government will have to provide, what would it be? a slice of the knife and a swipe of the pen and the ban no longer exists.
    I openly admit that I hate Labor, but your party is the next alternative and all you guys do is bag this and bag that without once mentioning how you would address the problems. Lawrence Springborg lost 3 elections with that stance and constant bagging. For Queenslands sake, get of your collective arses and start making the news that you have a plan to fix the state and give up on the constant bagging, bitching and whining about the current govt. Your party might scrape through with a minimal win if you guys keep your current antics going. Currently you are running a very poor race that is barely 51-49 over the bligh mob just because you guys do not build the confidence in the public, you just bitch this and bitch that.
    I for one surely do not want to hire or vote in a bitch government. Get of your arses!
    Jack.

d) Agree there is Climate Change and there isn't a fig man can do about it either way.

Me? I'm d.

How do you stimulate an Economy out of (near) recession? Reduce taxes and regulation, so that Business can get on with being profitable and hiring people. The slide will continue for a while yet - this tax is so utterly ill conceived.

I am no fan of the Direct Action Policy either. I think the arrogance of Man to think He can influence the Climate in a meaningful way is manifestly foolish. As I've stated before, you have to have a policy, sadly, because Political Correctness demands it. Having said that, I see it as having a far lesser impact on our Economy, so it's "not as bad." But it still stinks.

The Carbon Tax will cost everyone, in every walk of life, and the compensation won't be anywhere near enough. The modelling is best case - and how often does that work out? No, we will see hardship at the lower levels of Society from this, as JuliaR works hard to achieve her aim, all of us being poor and miserable together.

Tim

100% agree with Timi Boy. The "arrogance of man" is one of my favourite quotes. To put a perspective on the non believers, I use in my relatively small & fuel efficient charter business approx 20,000- 30.000 liters of ULP a year. Both Bob & Julia have stated that all bets are off on the fuel rebate after 2014. And my local member, Yvette D'Ath, WILL NOT respond to requests to meet with Petrie electorate tourism operators so we can plead our case for business certainty beyond two years. Not happy, Jan.

I then have industrial freezers to hold the volume of bait & ice I might reasonably expect to use in a week. (50 kg pillies, 20 kg mullet fillets, 30 kg squid, etc) This costs. So do my fridges which hold the fresh produce served to clients. All suspect to the carbon tax.

Plus the usual business costs of running an office, washing & mooring vessels, running a vehicle, etc and the future is not pretty. All suspect to the carbon tax.

However Mark Robinson, please accept the following comments as positive criticism. The carbon tax is Federal. Not your portfolio nor your sphere of influence.

Stick to the argument that Labour have mismanaged Fisheries through the disastrous MBMP review, the removal of our State fuel subsidy for all users, the huge & unjustified increases in our boat, boat trailer & tow vehicle regos, the inability to respond even ineffectually to the oil spill from the Pacific Venturer, the unjustified expansion and cost of an unproductive Department such as DERM, the ludicrous processes & outcomes of the Snapper management Plan, & the dismantling of Fisheries starting with removing the QBFP to a dysfunctional & inept MSQ & the creation of the "Wally Club", the RFAG to supposedly oversee Fisheries Policy and you would get my vote every time.

There is enough dry powder in the failure of this current State Government to manage Fisheries over a long period of time to blow them out of the water.Stick to the State issues because there is no good news from the Bigh camp on fisheries management.

Andrew Lamming can post on Federal issues. That is a completely (and defensible) can of worms entirely. And I would fully support Andrew's right & ability to take issue & umbrage with the carbon tax.

Mark, please focus on being the Fisheries Minister-elect & give us clear indications of how you would restore confidence in Fisheries Mangement PROCESSES after you take control in Feb/March 2012. Because currently there is none, either among stakeholders OR Fisheries staff. And that is a real challenge we would all support you in. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Keith
    Last edited by Captain Incredible; 24-07-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I needed to highlight Tim's comments in another colour.

Another interesting read once again. This Tax will by no means affect everyone which is now clearly obvious and I for one oppose it as it is a smoke screen for a hidden adjenda...To rape and pillage our wallets yet again. Bit like when Liberal leader John Howard promised that there would be NO GST if he was elected all those many years ago and low and behold all business became tax collectors as soon as he came to power with a 10% gst not a 15% like the one in NZ. Really and truly what the australian people are sick of is all the bullshit. Here we have a government who has clearly been under performing and an opposition that is just making us aware of it day in and day ouy and not really selling an alternative. The way I see it is that not matter what government we elect will will get screwed in some shape or form no matter what the issue. We trust these clowns with our money and all they do is waste it and then try and make febal excuses as to why things go wrong and they say they are acting in our best interests...pollies do not give a shit about us at all and think we are all idiots. You can only see that when the current PM was pulled up in a shopping centre by a 40-50 year old citizen and asked why she lied about the carbon tax the PM then started talking to this woman like she was a 5 year old. As far as I can see it this TAX will not pass and the Labour Government will be voted out in the next elections both State and Federal. Then we will go on the merry go round again and find out what surprises the alternative will have in store for us and how much of our money they will waste.

Quote Originally Posted by fisho8 View Post
    Bit like when Liberal leader John Howard promised that there would be NO GST if he was elected all those many years ago and low and behold all business became tax collectors as soon as he came to power with a 10% gst
    I need to clear this one up, as it's a major misconception - a couple of points:

1. Yes, J Howard did say no GST. 6 years later (roughly) there was a policy change, and he went to an Election with the GST, which went through. People had the choice. In those circumstances saying he "lied" is like saying I lied when I said in the year 2002 that I would never buy an Excavator. I then did in 2004, because things had radically changed.

2. People forget that GST replaced Sales Tax, and a raft of other taxes, which were complicated, and in the case of Sales Tax, an utter scourge on Business. So Business already was a "Tax Collector."

3. I collect over $100,000 in GST each year. I put it in the bank for up to three months. It has a positive effect on my Business. It takes me about 5 minutes to run the report for my BAS, because GST is simple, and it delivers no surprises. Given tax is a certainty in life, I find the GST to be the best way it can be done from a Business perspective. If there are people who find GST hard to deal with, I think they may need a better system, because it is stupifyingly easy.

4. Consumption Tax is a very efficient, even and effective method of taxation. Just about every country in the World had it before us, and it makes strong economic sense to have one. How else would we have the money collected?

5. People seem to have forgotten the very significant changes to income tax rates and brackets which came with the GST. Very convenient...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by fisho8 View Post
    As far as I can see it this TAX will not pass and the Labour Government will be voted out in the next elections both State and Federal. Then we will go on the merry go round again and find out what surprises the alternative will have in store for us and how much of our money they will waste.
    Not much stopping this going through mate. They have already done the deal with the greens and the two brown turds.

Funny everyone jumps down this guys throat for any posts, yet the the labor party don't give us the time of day let alone jump on here and post. Would love to Wally or some federal dumbass on here defending their party - would be entertaining but I am sure the labor zealots here would defend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya right Timiboy and for those unfamiliar the industry i was in way back when there was 20% sales tax built in to the cost of goods we wholesaled into retailers.

GregP

With all respect i think people are just getting a little jack of the stick it up the other side attitude without the alternative being policy being mentioned, not even a sniff. The latest is a federal issue.

He was clearly asked very early in the thread what his views were on climate change not the ALP policy on climate change but his own, to no avail.Does he support the federal coalitions direct action policy thus in turn acknowledge climate change is real.

Its even starting to wear a bit thin with some his supporters on here.

Cheers

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent