Thread: Worms In Oysters

Worms In Oysters

Bought a dozen Coffin Bays the other day. Was about to eat one when I noticed it move. Closer inspection shows 3 worms in it. Very thin and only a centimetre long - they stretched out to about 3 centimetres when dropped in the sink. Just like leeches. They were in the first two oysters I checked - didn't bother looking at the rest. Fortunately the shop was happy to refund.

Anyone else seen them ??

Re: Worms In Oysters

yeah, very common, you can still eat the oysters, I have seen them with small crabs inside too, I was at a very high class Sydney restaurant one time and a friend ordered the Oysters and when they were served, there was a live worm wriggling around, the waiter just said, "it is normal, and proves they are fresh"

I read on the Net where similar things have been said - but its not easy after the stomach churn of finding them lol.

Well,,If you are going to eat oysters.
    Worms should not be a problem.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

You guys are joking right.

If there were worms in my oysters, i wouldn't touch it. I expect fresh and quality. Oysters are washed after they are open,

Eating worms with oysters is kinda similair to eating maggots. ( not that i have tried)

nah, not maggots, the worm is not a parasite, it is just a marine worm that lives with the Oyster, or somehow gets in the shell, it is NOT part of the Oyster or in the flesh or anything.

Added protein, shops should charge more for them