Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: leatherjackets 2011

Re: leatherjackets 2011

Me either bondy...Im seriously thinking its easier and safer to keep driven the boat down to Evans to got out. The week of the classic the bar at Evans was a millpond all week. Ballina on the other hand was downright nasty...with a few boats we may be able to organise a "jack....(et)" off"...muzz has an unfair advantage though as he knows all the good jacket haunts and Im still learning ballina

Heres the look for this arvie from the lookout lads

never had a look around Balina in all my travels up and down the coast (love the Tevan bypass), for some reason I always bypass it even on sight seeing holidays

I am keen as to get up there and have a cooks tour, had a bit of a look on Google Earth last night

checked out the Navionics chart on the newly downloaded Navionics chart viewer for the area, Balina is closer to the marks I fish from Evans than Evans haha can see a few areas of interest to sound over but a few starter marks wouldn't go astray

checked out my wire status and I am out of heavy stuff so into FTA for some 160lb multi strand

and if my braid gets chomped then good as I need to replace it anyway

cheers Murf

Murf,,, if we gunna fish for jackets then im going to use a ball of string to make it interesting....and cheap!

Murf,,, if we gunna fish for jackets then im going to use a ball of string to make it interesting....and cheap!
    I had a bloke come last year with a bream rod and reel,

he still caught heaps of the mongerels, cost me a heap in traces though.

Muzz

fencing wire muzz.....ive got that sorted to

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Ballina fisho on Monday "Leatherjackets 5kg for $15"
    Bugger that, you'd have to pay me $20 to take 5 kg
    Seriously though, they were thick up at 1770 in May
    your too well fed i reckon.
    jackets in the bigger size are good eating it's a pity the damage they do to gear both rec and commercial

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Me either bondy...Im seriously thinking its easier and safer to keep driven the boat down to Evans to got out. The week of the classic the bar at Evans was a millpond all week. Ballina on the other hand was downright nasty...with a few boats we may be able to organise a "jack....(et)" off"...muzz has an unfair advantage though as he knows all the good jacket haunts and Im still learning ballina

Them the breaks, (no pun intended), I'm sure you will get to know the place the more you venture out.

Where are you leather, old painless is waiting

I don't think you'd be going out of Coffs Harbour this weekend either. A few pics of the south wall and harbour entrance, 1.00pm today.
    DSC_1078.jpgDSC_1075.jpgDSC_1073.jpg

But I digress, this is about Leatherjackets ... from the Coffs Fisherman's Co-op today;
    DSC_1084.jpg

Yes folks you read it correctly, Leatherjackets; Whole $7.90 kg, Fillets $24.90 kg and that's the special!. Hate to be buying them at full price!!

Julie came out of there (the co-op) and said; "you know there selling thawed out fish from Thailand in there!" So much for local fresh seafood huh.

This leatherjacket hunting get together sounds interesting. Maybe there should be a special jacket for the top fisher of the day. Could be a perpetual thing and every year there would be a new winner of "The Leather Jacket" and that fisher would hold the jacket (and prestegious title) for the year! ... just a thought.

Cheers,
    Jim

so you gunna come up to Balina for a run Boat Hog?

cheers Murf

apparently the jackets are like hairs on a cats back out here off yamba!
    some cricket bat size i would think out wider
    cheers
    ken

Bring it on

Just a side track from leatherjackets

Can someone in Coffs Harbour let me know if the Coop has any Royal Red Prawns and how much they cost per kg?

They are one of the best prawns for cooking in my books. They have a very short shelf life, but once shelled and stores correctly can last about 6 months without loss of quality

I used to be able to get them from the Coffs Harbour Coop years ago and they were cheap as (at the time)...You can only catch these on the Continental Shelf and only certain times of the year.

Thanks for showing the photos of Coffs Harbour...was that Mutton Bird Island at the top? or is that opposite Mutton Bird Island?

Cheers, Bondy

must have changed a bit on the market front. the frozen leatherjacket fillets the fish shops stocked all used to come from New Zealand. They were snap frozen on board, and the most reliable fillets available. I used to get them from the local guy in Liverpool, but made sure I got the frozen ones from the freezer room (had to ask), rather than the ones partially thawed in the display. Beautiful, sweet, white chunky flesh...never had a bone in one. Was always my 'go to' when the freezer was bare and the menu demanded fish.

Bondy99 - No sign of any Royal Red Prawns at the Coffs Co-op.

Photo's of Coffs 'Harbour' were the harbour entrance. Muttonbird Island on the left and the south wall on the right.

Murf - Just watched our Haines Hunter leave the driveway for the last time yesterday (sold) Only have the Quintrex Dory until the new boat arrives Sept/Oct. Otherwise, would do a run up to Ballina for sure.

Cheers,
    Jim