Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: leatherjackets 2011

Re: leatherjackets 2011

They're most definitely here....

bloody mongrels, only good one is one is a dead without a head in someone elses boat!

weather permitting I will be doing an overnighter on Monday night out at North Solitary Is with an old mate that now lives in Brisbane so will hit a couple of marks in the 42's to see if we can get a few. although I have seen them thick enough that we were scooping them up with a landing net 20m from the Island

got 10 rigs made up and a spool of old braid when the stuff on my reel disappears

fishing comp on Sunday with my youngest daughter

cheers Murf

Well I must say im a bit dissapointed with muzz's jacket marks. Went out there today armed to the "teeth" with jacket gear and all I could catch was these critters. We did manage 8-10 jackets, Rabbi kept catchin em. Nearly all caught on wire intended for jackets. Who said you can't catch snapper on wire

I couldn't believe it when you sent me that pic today.......& said there were no jackets,

you cunning bugger.

It's amazing what you can catch on wire,
    we went out a year or 2 back ready to slay jackets,
    & the ocean was so beautiful we went straight to the shelf,

I think Banshee would remember the inter-club comp where we weighed in 8 or 9 big Bar cod,
    all caught on wire & 1/0 hooks.

Muzz

Crikey mate,
    I specifically pulled a couple of metres of wire out of the fence near the creek. The Bimini twist wasnt so bad but the Double uni knot was hell to tie and then the Dropper rig outa 8 gauge galvanised fencing wire, geez!!

Next time I will just use one of those cheap stainless chinese rigs again as I think it was the beads that attracted the fish today.

Hey Muzz,
    We justabout outdid the boys that went to the shelf today. I think it was the 10 odd jackets that clinched it mate!

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    They're most definitely here....

nice eating !
    i'm glad your cleaning the bloody things though
    i can remember an 1 hour shot a few years ago that trashed the nets ands yielded 400 kilo of tails
    a lot of cut and tear
    i dont miss it one bit
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by GABBA110360 View Post
    nice eating !
    i can remember an 1 hour shot a few years ago that trashed the nets ands yielded 400 kilo of tails
    a lot of cut and tear
    i dont miss it one bit
    ken
    if you had some old gear to get rid of then shoot some jackets, it would be a full shot

cheers Murf

Yeah, old painless is waiting for em.

Good to see jackets, counting down the days for next week

Quote Originally Posted by GABBA110360 View Post
    nice eating !
    a lot of cut and tear
    i dont miss it one bit
    ken
    I love em, they're the easiest bastards in the world to clean. Even when you're pushing through 300 or 400kg per trap, its just cut, rip, over the shoulder. Washing the blood off the boat is another story all together though....

I love em, they're the easiest bastards in the world to clean. Even when you're pushing through 300 or 400kg per trap, its just cut, rip, over the shoulder. Washing the blood off the boat is another story all together though....
    Did you give that number a call ? You will get good practice at cutting through a few hundred kilo of fish with him. Lost count of the times I sharpened the knife last week and scrubbed the boat down. Bloody nice eating though.

Yeh mate, had a ripper of a day. He's got a new decky but said to just give him a call whenever I wanna come out. Also said that as soon as he starts line fishing again that he'd tee something up and we'd go out chasing kings. Thanks heaps mate.

i doubt if there would be one offshore prawn trawl person who would agree with you or have anything good to say about jackets.
    one bad night with jackets could probably trash a set of nets.
    sew up holes then one appears beside the repair the next day .
    bloody vermon but tasty.
    everything thats in the codend with the bloody things is usually chewed as well.
    i'm outta fishing professionally now for two years best thing i've done of late can go line fishin now !!!!!

Lovely jackets, nice solid flesh...I too use to work on a prawn trawler down Port Stephens..LFB Andana, sold to Fortuna Fishing some time ago by former owner Danny Asquith.

Use to be good, long hours and nice sea conditions until nets muddied up and mongrel 12ft tiger shark in the codend,,,couple of bullets ended that, ruined the catch.

Nice leather jackets, vey tasty along with prawns and bugs mixed with fresh garlic and olive oil.... That was about 30 years ago, miss the lifestyle but not the work.

Bondy

the buggers where at square patch this morning off moreton