Thread: Offshore mooloolaba

Offshore mooloolaba

Hi,Just wondering if anyone would be able to pass on a few tips on catching a couple of snapper off mooloolaba.In town till tuesday so hoping to get out.Been out about four times before without much luck. Staying within about 20km of harbour. Any generic waypoints to get us started would be greatly appreciated.Any were to jig some liveys would be great as well.THANKS

Re: Offshore mooloolaba

Mate, all I can do is tell you what I do and if you go out and do the opposite you may be a chance...
    actually, best thing is from what I've seen from the gurus on this site and others, use very little weight, bang a pilly on a snelled rig or gangs, and let it drift right out the back. may take a hundred metres or more to get down to where they are but they're pretty gun shy so this at least keeps you out of the way.
    not sure baout jigging liveys, as I ususally cast net herring or poddy mullet.
    The experts also say berley big time so get a berley bomb and drop it down.
    Get out to Murphy's and sound around until you find some decent bottom or alternatively, a good show of fish holding off the bottom, then move past and do the drop down with little weight thing.
    Caloundra 12 mile can also hold good snapper and should be just about within your limit. Failing that, look fo currimundi but there's shallow water around there so be careful. Best to be out early.
    12 mile, murphys and currimundi are all available everywhere, just do a gps search on em.
    good luck mate
    regards jim

Thanks, will try our luck will head to the generic mark we have for murphys and sound around see what we can find. How far south is curramundi and caloundra 12 mile.

What Jim said but dawn or dusk are the peak times in the pink twilight. There is a Currimundi 9mile and then it pretty much turns into the Caloundra 12mile on that heading out to about 12NM SE of Mooloolaba. Currimundi starts in at Raper Shoal and the coffee rock at the Wurtulla surf beach tower and intersects with the 9mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Still learning View Post
    Thanks, will try our luck will head to the generic mark we have for murphys and sound around see what we can find. How far south is curramundi and caloundra 12 mile.
    what smithy said