Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: leatherjackets 2011

Re: leatherjackets 2011

Thats a top Tusk Murf.....YUM

I heard that another boat had gone arse up this arvo,
    the wind has been blowing fairly hard for the last 2 days,
    so I dont know what they were thinking.....

gonna ring you tomorrow after I get home from work,
    but I am feeling dubious ATM,
    we'll see .

Muzz

Nice going Murf,

Love the catch you have. Where did you go to catch this lot? Apart from the sea.

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Thats a top Tusk Murf.....YUM

I heard that another boat had gone arse up this arvo,
    the wind has been blowing fairly hard for the last 2 days,
    so I dont know what they were thinking.....

gonna ring you tomorrow after I get home from work,
    but I am feeling dubious ATM,
    we'll see .

Muzz
    Muzz, must be a lot of camocuzzies out there or just plain idiots. How far do you have to steam to spot X if you leave from Evans Head, providing sea is good conditions. If you go into sea its uncomfortable but should be smoother on way back and vice versa.

"Sleepygreg son,

I'm curious to know, do you fillet your leathers?

When you said "flesh side down first" , when leather is relieved of its' jacket then shes all flesh.

Will catch up later and have another organised trip.

Cheers
    Peter "

For those not familiar with Leatherjackets (and those who only cook them whole). When you skin a leatherjacket, there is a secondary 'skin' on them...most will not regard this as such as it is very thin and does not affect the taste of the fish at all. When you fillet them this skin becomes very obvious compared to the 'cut' side. If you cook the fillet 'skin' side down first, the fillet will curl up almost into a tube, which leaves an uncooked 'raw' tasting flour in the middle of it.

Now I am really salivating thinking of them tasty morsels. I have even found a green grocer that has spuds that make decent chipping spuds. (almost like a quest for the holy grail lately).

Greg
    Last edited by sleepygreg; 10-08-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: add quote

Bondy those fish were all in a 15km radius of Arrawarra, we went further but didn't catch anything at the wider spots

fished in 70m of water where we were looking for jackets/Trag/Jew with a lot of current, could only just get the bottom with pound leads

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    "Sleepygreg son,

I'm curious to know, do you fillet your leathers?

When you said "flesh side down first" , when leather is relieved of its' jacket then shes all flesh.

Will catch up later and have another organised trip.

Cheers
    Peter "

For those not familiar with Leatherjackets (and those who only cook them whole). When you skin a leatherjacket, there is a secondary 'skin' on them...most will not regard this as such as it is very thin and does not affect the taste of the fish at all. When you fillet them this skin becomes very obvious compared to the 'cut' side. If you cook the fillet 'skin' side down first, the fillet will curl up almost into a tube, which leaves an uncooked 'raw' tasting flour in the middle of it.

Now I am really salivating thinking of them tasty morsels. I have even found a green grocer that has spuds that make decent chipping spuds. (almost like a quest for the holy grail lately).

Greg
    Good on you Greg, Tea at your place tonight I hear

I dont normally fillet mine, but will try your method , yep, it is the holy grail finding good spuds to go with good leathers.

Peter

Murf.

Thanks for that, is that place down your way?

I think the outing for this weekend might be ify due to damn wind and sea conditions. Grrrrr
    Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Murf.

Thanks for that, is that place down your way?

I think the outing for this weekend might be ify due to damn wind and sea conditions. Grrrrr
    Bondy
    yep yep, Arrawarra Beach is my launching spot 10km from home

and yes the weather is looking like crap not looking real good at this stage for next weekend as well

cheers Murf

Murf,

At least its close to where you are then. Must be real mongrel weather system down your way. Bit blowy up here too.

I might go for a drive to Ballina shortly anyway. Would like to get into some tailor and salmon if they are around in the beach in Ballina.
    Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Murf,

At least its close to where you are then. Must be real mongrel weather system down your way. Bit blowy up here too.

Cheers, Bondy
    only on weekends when I try to avoid going out unless with working class mates

cheers Murf

That's what I reckon too

Nah guys,
    Salmon are for the workin class , Jackets are for the upper crust
    I havnt got any calls so I reckon it must be a bit average out there today.
    Cheers, Uncle steve, formerly known as....

Yeah,
    nasty forecast for this weekend so the outing has been put off until next week.

Muzz

Oh Well, I'll come down for Salmon and see if I can get Tailor as well.

I don't know the area, so for those that do, what's the spots to get em, from the beach?

North or South of the Ballina Wall,,,aint gota 4WD.

I'll give the rocks a miss, too many snags.

Got a grapnel sinker so it can anchor in the sand.

Many thanks in advance. Bondy

Bondy beaches are crap atm to. Was at sharpes beach this am and it looked hard work. Theres a gutter on the Nth end of Lighthouse beach (the beach on the nth side of nth wall) that should be good at high tide. Failing that theres a hole in the beach about 150m up from the access track on the northern side of flat rock. Theres a bit of rock in it and I reckon at high tide there'll be a few tailor salmon, bream and jew poken round near it.