Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: leatherjackets 2011

Re: leatherjackets 2011

my favourite way of doing 'jacket fillets is to dust them in a flour seasoned with salt, pepper and a couple of pinches of curry powder, then shallow fry (flesh side down first). serve with some home made chips, and squeeze some lemon or lime juice over and sprinkle with a bit of fresh chopped corriander.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Yeh I worked at the Clarence River Fisherman's Co-op for a while and worked with the Eversons. Good mates with their boys all my age. Funny how small a world it is. Its a lovely boat, nearly went over recently when it stallled on the bar a little while back.
    well it is a small world.
    i probably saw you around the co-op sometime
    cheers
    ken

it is getting better Bondy

cheers Murf

And the tide will be a hell of a lot better by Saturday. Don't really want to be a statistic.

This from the Northern Star

NSW Maritime has issued safety warnings after two boats rolled on the Ballina bar on Saturday – the latest casualties of the silted-up bar that local fishers say should urgently be dredged.
    The two boats, both runabouts, capsized after attempting to cross the bar on the low tide in two separate incidents on Saturday morning; the first just after 6am with two Ballina men aboard and the second at 9am with two Yamba men aboard.
    All four men made it ashore without serious injury.
    NSW Maritime Regional Manager north, Jim Green, has warned local skippers to take extra care while crossing the bar.
    “It is strongly recommended that no crossing is attempted at any time on the falling tide or within two hours following the bottom of the tide,” he said.
    Last month Mr Green had also warned boaters that a series of recent floods had caused sand movement and build-up in various locations across the bar.
    Meanwhile fishing clubs on the Northern Rivers are calling for the Ballina bar to be dredged.
    Secretary of the Ballina RSL Fishing Club Ray Smith told The Northern Star his club was writing letters to Ballina MP and Minister for the North Coast Don Page and other relevant ministers because the bar was changing and becoming more and more treacherous.
    The breaking point for the club had come last month, Mr Smith said, when one of their members, Barry Fuller, and his passenger, Ray Fox, overturned on the bar.
    “He (Mr Fuller) was no cowboy; he was very experienced,” he said.
    “So that was really our tipping point.
    "We realised we had to do something.
    “When you do everything right and you still come unstuck, it’s pretty scary.
    “There’s no Plan B. We have to dredge the bar and make it safe.
    “And we can’t wait years for that to happen.
    "It’s just too dangerous.”
    Accidents on the Ballina bar are increasing agreed Ballina Jet Boat Rescue spokesperson, Elton Cummings.
    “There have been six (rollovers) in the last two months – too many this year,” Mr Cummings said.
    “Two on one day is unusual, I don’t remember that and I have been a member since 1971.
    “We used to do three rescues a year, these days it’s changed.”
    Mr Elton said Saturday’s accidents were a result of sand building up at the bar.
    “It used to be safe and deep, but the bar is now a shallow bar,” he said.
    A NSW Maritime Boating Safety officer has begun an investigation into Saturday’s accidents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll wait until Friday I reckon, forecast needs to be spot on given the history of ballina bar

I feel for you guys having to cross bars all the time to get out to the fishing spots. I'll take the swell of the southern ocean to bar crossing any day.

Not long to go now and hello jackets, time to relieve them of their leathers

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    I'll wait until Friday I reckon, forecast needs to be spot on given the history of ballina bar
    Im with you on that one Bondy,

will be in contact with you & Murf towards the end of the week.

Muzz
    \
    \

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    my favourite way of doing 'jacket fillets is to dust them in a flour seasoned with salt, pepper and a couple of pinches of curry powder, then shallow fry (flesh side down first). serve with some home made chips, and squeeze some lemon or lime juice over and sprinkle with a bit of fresh chopped corriander.

Greg
    I just had some tonight done very closely to your way. Very nice. My son wants more next time so it must of been good.

Sleepygreg son,

I'm curious to know, do you fillet your leathers?

When you said "flesh side down first" , when leather is relieved of its' jacket then shes all flesh.

Will catch up later and have another organised trip.

Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post

will be in contact with you & Murf towards the end of the week.

Muzz
    \
    \
    No worries Muzz, Thursday evening might be best, Friday I 'll be home late, I will be at Lake Samsonvale with senior researcher

Bondy, I do believe Greg means the side that was against the back bone, when he referrs to "flesh side" most fish need to be cooked skin side up or they will curl up into a ball, (some fish curl up anyway)

Noelm,

Thanks, I thought that was the case.

I just seen the news that another boat has gone over on the Ballina Bar

spent the night out in 15knt +++winds trying to find jackets to no avail

got a tub full of fish though from 5kg+ (scales only go to 5kg) snapper, 2.2kg Tailor, 2.9kg tusky 1/2doz pearlies and bagged out on snapper 3 times over

cheers Murf