Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD's for Kayaking

PFD's for Kayaking

I'm just wondering what type/style of PFD's are worn by kayaking fishos. At the moment I'm using the yoke style PFD from the boat to use while kayaking and contemplating purchasing a PFD Storm rider jacket for use offshore and in the kayak.

Cheers.

Re: PFD's for Kayaking

23 views on this thread and no-one wears a lifejacket?? or couldn't be bothered to let us know what jacket you use??

Wags,

I viewed the thread - out of interest.

I don't own a yak, nor have I ever used one.

Sorry mate.

Steve

Don't use a pfd usually Wags, but I am only kayaking still water. Have used an old leg rope occasionally in case I do have a spill.

Cheers Andrew

I use a Marlin Type II PDF ($79 from BCF) designed for kayaking/canoeing. It's light-weight and does the job, but gets annoying because it keeps going up (obviously the sitting position doesn't help).

self inflating was what we used..did see a demo from a bloke that runs a business down the Gold Coats ..buggered if i can remember what he wore..he had soem experience..paddles across bass Satrait..he has a shop at Southport and oes tours in the Broadwater,,will try and find his name.

Greg, on another forum, the question was raised about how one can inflate a self inflating lifejacket if one is knocked unconscious. I'm using one from the boat but keen to know what works for other kayakers.

Cheers.

Manual inflation yoke style for me. Though I don't wear it all the time - only on bad weather days and in kayak fishing comps, which they are mandatory.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Manual inflating yoke for me also and I hear you re: the getting knocked out by somebody running me over in a power boat but unfortunately getting wet is all a part of kayaking especially during a surf launch and an auto inflator just isnt practicle.

I also use an ultra trek PFD2 on many occasions particularly when fishing offshore locations as it has a few storage pockets etc that I find very handy as well as a rear pocket for a camel pack for drinking water. The unfortunate part about using this is being a PFD 2 there is no neck support as per the PFD1's.

There certainly seems to be a hole in the market out there for somebody to design something that ticks all the boxes as traditional PFD1's are bloody uncomfortable to paddle in, the manual self inflators won't help you in a boating accident, the auto self inflators are just not practicle under certain circumstances and PFD2's just don't provide the same level of protection.

Kev

I have a Stohlquist Fisherman which I find very comfortable to wear. It has a couple of storage pockets on the front. I keep my mobile phone, car keys and camera in one and a container with assorted tackle in the other. The flotation on the back is high enough to not interfere with the seat in my yak. It is designed to have nothing on the front to catch on the kayak if you had to reenter after a spill.

I have three different pfd's, Ultra Trek PFD2, Blade PFD2 and a Marlin manual inflatable PFD1. Normally I do not wear one but for offshore work it is well advisable, esp if you are fishing regularly boated reefs, lots of boaties are watching the sounder and not where they are going offshore.
    Ultra Trek PFD2 is a good quality bit of kit with extra pockets and so forth, It rides up on me however due to a high back seat in my yak pushing it up.
    Blade PFD2 is a comfortable basic PFD that I prefer to wear.
    The inflatable PFD's are good if you are fishing less boated waters, being hit by a boat is a real possibility anywhere between a ramp and a reef and especially on the reef. For that reason alone, I do not wear the inflatable in SEQ waters as there are too many boats on the water that don't look around when sounding. Awful hard to inflate one when you are trying to stay conscious with prop cuts through your legs.

I have had 5 near misses now with boats offshore, only one travelling at speed. Seriously considering buying and carrying an air horn.

Probably also worth investing in a safety flag or similar mounted on your yak.
    Jack.

In regards to air horns, this is a particularly good little unit

We use them at the kids footy, small container (about 500ml bottle) and they are only $39.50 from somewhere like Hart Sport. Also on my wish list is the visicarbon pro from yakattack products in the US http://www.yakattack.us/Products/Products.html

Kev

Thanks Kev. We use very similar sounding device as the backup (from the presurised can horn) in the confined space work on draglines and shovels.

Cheers,
    Wags

HI Wags, I use a stormy seas selfinflating jacket very good with storage and comfort, The only thing i find when kayaking is it so bloody hot to wear, I wear mine all the time as have cutters etc in pockets.

Also be wary if you use these in a boat fisheries pulled me up the other day and said I should have the receipt laminated with me when purchasesd or evidence of inspection/test if over 12 months old

Hi Al1969 - re your posting: "Also be wary if you use these in a boat fisheries pulled me up the other day and said I should have the receipt laminated with me when purchasesd or evidence of inspection/test if over 12 months old
    Are you in Qld or NSW? Why would they pull you up to check your life jacket.
    I usually don't wear one but on reading these posts thinking twice. I have never had any problems to date. But as most will say, only need one issue/accident.
    Cheers