Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFD's for Kayaking

Re: PFD's for Kayaking

I have an auto inflatable pfd and wouldn't go out yakking (or boating) without having it on.................. I can see surf launches where it isn't practical.

I think it would be an advantage if the yoke style self inflating life jackets had a crutch strap as they seem to come up around your neck quite a bit when inflated, I discovered this a month ago........first trip out on a yak, just out from the boat ramp with people watching, flipped it over, comments from boat owner was "mate, that's gotta suck eh", understatement I think lol...
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah most yak fishos I know have the manual inflation yoke type. Most have never had the need to use it - but it's there if you need to.

The other learning from some yak fishos (from actual experience) is that should you go into the drink, carefully consider whether you need to inflate the PFD. The issue is for when you are trying to get back in/on your kayak. Having a fully inflated PFD makes it very difficult to manoeuvre your body to get back on the yak, as you would generally pull yourself onto the yak on your belly and having a big balloon on your chest is not helpful. General advice if to stay with your kayak, as it generally has boyancy built in. Try and get back on if you can. If you can't still stay with your yak and dog-paddle into the shore.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Yeah most yak fishos I know have the manual inflation yoke type. Most have never had the need to use it - but it's there if you need to.

The other learning from some yak fishos (from actual experience) is that should you go into the drink, carefully consider whether you need to inflate the PFD. The issue is for when you are trying to get back in/on your kayak. Having a fully inflated PFD makes it very difficult to manoeuvre your body to get back on the yak, as you would generally pull yourself onto the yak on your belly and having a big balloon on your chest is not helpful. General advice if to stay with your kayak, as it generally has boyancy built in. Try and get back on if you can. If you can't still stay with your yak and dog-paddle into the shore.

Cheers, Pete

Good idea Pete

Having tipped a kayak over I must admit that once the inflatable has gone off it makes it a lot harder to drag yourself back onto your yak. The hull looks really high looking at it from water level.

Summer is coming, so a good time to tip the yak over and do some practice getting back onto my yak.
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!