Thread: Tailor recipe

Tailor recipe

I cook tailor in a pan lined with baking paper.
    No oil at all is added, just cooks in it's own oil.
    The paper prevents it sticking to the pan and
    also makes it easy to turn over and keep it one piece.
    Remember to cook flesh side down first then the
    skin side of the fillet until the skin goes crispy.
    Best results are achieved if the fillets have been
    in the fridge over night set the meat.
    Also works great with sea mullet.

Re: Tailor recipe

i smoke my tailor
    fillet them and soak in salty brine 24 hours
    then hang them in the cool room till there dry and sticky {hang them with wire under the side fin left on when filleting}
    and hot smoke them
    there aint no better fish than a botany bay tailor hot tailor fillet on a fesh bread roll with butter and a coldie

~~~~Keep ya thirsty eyes off my jim beam~~~

Have anyone tried Tailor steamed or poached? I caught a few Tailors on the weekend, and still tossing up how to cook them.

My recipe for fresh tailor fillets/whole fish after an early morning session fishing for them off the beach.

Combine some finely chopped garlic (about a teaspoon), finely chopped ginger (about a teaspoon),2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil. If you dont have fresh ginger and garlic - then the crushed stuff out of the jar works ok.

If the fish are decent size....scale and knock the fillets off the them (leave the skin on). If they are the smaller 'choppers' then gill and gut and scale and leave them whole - but score the fish with a sharp knife to expose the flesh. If you are using fillets...score the skin side partially - but not completely across the fillet.

Place fillets (skin side down), or whole fish on a baking dish lined with baking paper. sprinkle with some salt and pepper. baste with the ginger and garlic mix, then put under a hot grill for about ten minutes, take out turn over and baste with more of the ginger and garlic mix, then back under the grill until the skin starts to crisp.

I used to have this for brekky on those winter mornings chasing tailor on the south coast of NSW, accompanied by thick toasted sourdough bread topped with a soft poached egg.

The ex's influence included some very strong italian coffee to wash it down.

My recent tweaks to the baste include some chopped frsh chilli, a bit of basil or corriander or parsley (depending on which one in the garden hasnt taken a flogging recently).

Breakfast of Champions I reckon.

Cheers

Greg

if people dont like the "tailor" flavour you fillet the skin off as this is were the most oil is ...i crumb mine but add a little fine chilli flakes garlic and chopped herbs or even just some mixed herbs in the jar will do to the breadcrumbs ...add a little soy sauce or what ever you like to the egg....just dip in the egg then into crumbs fry it up in a little oil mmmmmmm yum ...
    they have to be bled and fresht hough other wise they are very ordinary...

My tailor recipe is very dependent on what ingredients are available at the time due to what part of Qld I find myself in.

Step 1 fillet tailor and slice fillets in half length ways.

Step 2 (this is where it becomes very area dependant) insert 2 x ganged 7/0s attached to line and drop over the side of the boat. If Brisbane based pull up snapper if further north pull up coral trout.

Step 3 fillet snapper or trout cover in egg and panko bread crumbs and shallow fry in a hot pan.

Mmm delicious

Sorry guys I'm not a big fan of tailor except as bait for something else.

lol marto ...

We do ours on the beach at Fraser.
    Catch, instant bleed, onto ice.
    When we get enough for lunch/dinner we fillet them, skin them and then soak them in the brine of our choice.
    Let them sit an hour or so, then into one of those small smokers.
    Amazing taste and go well with a cold beer.

Doesnt everything go well with a cold beer?

my fav ways to eat tailor are very simple ....

after filleting, skinning and removing the pin bone ( and after a night in the fridge to set) i like to add a little high quality olive oil to a hot pan with salt flakes and cook the fillets until only just cooked then plate the fillets up with lighlt cooked scrambled eggs for breaky and chips for lunch and dinner

or

simple beer batter made by combining full strength beer such as xxxx or vb with plain flour (thats all) until you can get a consistency where the batter runs off your finger leaving a coating only (this stlye of batter is light and crispy) and then placing the batter in the freezer for 15 mins to cool way down. in the mean time heat canola oil to 180 and cook the fillets until golden .......not golden brown
    serve with same beer and chips

when i do this beer batter cooking i always cook the roe of the tailor as well ....not the melts they go with the frames for the crab pot

cheers

I gut and clean on beach, try not to bruise or squash the fish, if they are in a bucket I half fill it with sea water till I get home.
    Fillet then place on plate in fridge for one or two days under glad wrap.
    Take out cut diagonal into strips just under an inch wide
    roll in flour or make a beer batter
    Fry in hot pan with 1/2 cup of oil or so, add some crushed garlic if I have any.
    remove when crispy Brown.

slow trolled they taste like spanish macks

very well said Ibger