Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawing the line

Re: Drawing the line

Keep it to yourself Chris. You would have seen in Sydney what would happen on the Harbour as soon as someone put kingy photos up. I am the same with properties for shooting/fishing. Sussed a beauty out in recent years - and I will only take one other person there - cause he doesn't shoot with anyone but me.

Nevertheless - I really like the art of good photography so just send me the photos for appreciation LOL.

If you find a good spot it's up to you if you tell anyone or not isn't it? If you want it to yourself then don't tell anyone, simple. Remember though when you find a spot it's highly unlikely that your the only guy who's ever found it so don't get too upset if some one else is fishing it next time you visit.

Can you tell me one thing though, I understand some one may like to keep a spot they found to themselves, fair enough, but why if you work out a new technique would you want to keep that a secret? I don't get it. One of the things I like most about fishing is putting some one on to something new and hearing back how well it worked for them.

Cheers

chris i now keep them to myself one tells one then another and so on ,it has killed a lot of great spots

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    If you find a good spot it's up to you if you tell anyone or not isn't it? If you want it to yourself then don't tell anyone, simple. Remember though when you find a spot it's highly unlikely that your the only guy who's ever found it so don't get too upset if some one else is fishing it next time you visit.

Can you tell me one thing though, I understand some one may like to keep a spot they found to themselves, fair enough, but why if you work out a new technique would you want to keep that a secret? I don't get it. One of the things I like most about fishing is putting some one on to something new and hearing back how well it worked for them.

Cheers
    Hi Mike

I guess sharing a technique which may be location specific could be the factor that opens the floodgate. Take the brissy river - there are not too many secret possies (as you mentioned) - many might fish there but go away empty handed , so they look elsewhere ! What if a certain technique is a cracker & all the sudden fish get landed - That could open the flood gates for that location to be plundered! So I understand why cards get kept close to their chest.
    I know I have had no dramas giving out info on lures & techniques which are generic / species related ..... not a drama but it would be a different question if it was a desirable target species or a not so common species

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Mate for me I only fish one spot at the moment and have done so for years, while I do not always get a feed there always fish in my freezer. As it is a very public spot I have no problem telling people how I fish there, I even put up post on here with step by step details on how to fish there. http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthr...%20catch%20jew but as others have said if it a spot out of the way that is not on the beaten track and is one that you found or was shown then I would have a different view maybe
    Aussiefool
    Andrew
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Do any of you really think in this day and age, that there are any secret spots left in the bay or river.
    Yes you may still have a spot that you fish, but how many others also fish that same area.
    Its all to do with the time/tides/moon.
    There can be two to three boats on the same bottom structure, but its the technique bait or lures your using that'll
    be more successful for you then the boat next door.
    Photo backgrounds may help some find the location, but its all to do with the above that makes that particular area
    productive.

I do not pass on any spots someone gives me.
    I regularly take people fishing to spots I know work well, I do not harbour any ownership issues with my spots. If someone gives me a spot x I seldom visit the place exactly, might go somewhere near it to where I see the currents working better or something.
    I do not try and glean any locations from anyone else, I prefer to know the area and work it out for myself. All too often matey has dragged me along to a spot x where he brained this or that fish last weekend only to find squat there on the next run.
    I dunno for sure, but i suspect that most people do not pay really good attention to why a spot is working when they are on and just proceed to get a good number over the side. It is the smaller details that really make a spot work and every river creek or bay has several sweet spots that really turn it on when things align well.
    To me it is about the hunt more than the catch rates or the bragging rights. I really do not get annoyed when things don't go the way i would like them to go, I study the reasons why they didnt work and nut out the relationships between the factors that make it good or bad.
    Jack.

I was given a few offshore marks by a friend. We did okay on them and he knows I wouldn't tell a soul. And I didn't. But it wasn't long before the place looked like Queen Street. Quite a few boats sitting right on the mark and a few always very close to it. Now we seldom bother going there because there's usually a group of boats all over it. It's like winter whiting fishing. Two or more boats means someone knows something, so better go and have a look and drop a line. Even sounding over it without stopping gives the place away.
    I think most people realise that any boat that comes near you can ping your mark without stopping, and many will do so especially if they see you catch something. Some wait till you leave, others nearly ram you. So if anyone gives me a mark, I tell them I won't let the cat out of the bag, but I can't promise others won't see me on it.
    But the silver lining is that you're one step ahead of the poachers because you end up looking for and finding spots away from the crowds, which are more than likely somebody elses old marks that everyone has given up on and don't go to anymore coz they were too crowded......

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Do any of you really think in this day and age, that there are any secret spots left in the bay or river.
    Yes you may still have a spot that you fish, but how many others also fish that same area.
    There can be two to three boats on the same bottom structure, but its the technique bait or lures your using that'll
    Photo backgrounds may help some find the location, but its all to do with the above that makes that particular area
    productive.
    Its certainly in the detail ...... A couple of spots that I've been fishing get absolutely hammered - well known ........ It took a while to work out the when & how - which is the real challenge.
    Fortunately - most people get to go fishing when they can ...... rather than when they would like to & that can make a hell of a difference!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    productive.
    I know blokes who catch Maori cod in the bay on secret spots - Good luck to them - their spot and I wouldn't ask. But yes there's plenty of undiscovered ground in the bay.