Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to fill your boat.

Time to fill your boat.

Hi all.

For anyone on the northside of Brissy, the Caltex Woolies servo at Mango Hill has got unleaded (91) fuel down to 99.7 cents per litre tonight, and its a 24 hour servo.

Too good a price to not take advantage of and to make sure the boat / boats are filled up.

cheers

Jeff

Re: Time to fill your boat.

Does anyone really put that E10 crap in a boat ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    No.
    I was told that E10 and salt air/moisture don't mix well at all and the result after extended exposure is that the fuel goes like jelly.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nowhere in that post does it mention E10. I do use non ethanol regular unleaded 91 though and have never had an issue.

Hi Nagg. No I did not make mention of crap E10 fuel in my post. And no, I would never use that rubbish in an outboard.
    I use regular (91) unleaded in all my outboards and that is all I have ever used. My 60 Yammie had now got around 1600 hours on it and has never missed a beat using regular unleaded, and that includes buying it at some quite remote locations.
    The Suzukis have given me a fair bit of grief, but none of it has been fuel related.

The reason for putting the post up was to let people know about the price at the so called low point in our fuel price cycle here in Brisbane. A couple of weeks ago, we were being gouged to the price of $1.40 per litre.

Of course, the cynic in me also brought this up because only a few days ago, our news services announced that the ACCC was going to run an investigation into price gouging by our service stations, as the average service station around Brisbane was pulling about $600K profit from fuel sales each year. There has not been any major difference in oil costs, or the value of the Aussie dollar and we get an almost 30% drop in the price of fuel.

Co-incidence?

cheers

Jeff

20 years ago we were told the servos made no money out of fuel - they relied on shop sales. I assumed that was true and still the case given that now most servos are like supermarkets.
    Maybe now they are having it both ways? Anyone in the know?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    20 years ago we were told the servos made no money out of fuel - they relied on shop sales. I assumed that was true and still the case given that now most servos are like supermarkets.
    Maybe now they are having it both ways? Anyone in the know?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    20 yrs ago we still had independent operators but meow they are few and far between woolies and Coles now rule the roost and we the consumer pay the price . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I reckon if any servo in the country made 600 grand profit from fuel sales, it would be a miracle akin to NSW winning 10 straight origins!

I don't understand this fuel "cycle" business, the servo has fuel in the ground, it's no more expensive to serve it on a Monday, Friday or any other day, how would (say) a Supermarket would go if the varied the prices according to the day of the week, or if school holidays were beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    No.
    I was told that E10 and salt air/moisture don't mix well at all and the result after extended exposure is that the fuel goes like jelly.

a sevice station guy told me regular 91 may have up to 9 % ethanol in it and thus does not need to be flagged as ethanol added fuel E10 as under the 10 % - now dont honestly know how true that is but i avoid it every since being told that - but may be just a good way to get one to buy the more exe fuel for the boat

cheers

Time to fill your boat.

Apologies if this is taking away from the OP,
    From what I read here (below) all blended fuel requires labelling as such.
    Further into the link it says anything more than 1% ethanol requires labelling as such. I guess this could allow for contamination from one tank to another??
    But it doesn't look like regular unleaded should have any ethanol to me.
    http://www.environment.gov.au/topics...ds/ethanol-e10

Also an interesting read is this from Club Marine. It has arguments and reasons both ways. Generally modern outboards can run E10 but storage in a fibreglass tank and sitting around more than a few weeks is an issue.
    https://www.clubmarine.com.au/intern...24-3+technical

Although that is a 24hr servo. I believe the price increases nightly when their main near by opposition Costco closes for the day. Heard this on 4BC one morning and had another customer saying the same happened while he was at the servo. Dont know if this is gospel or not
    Is there anyone else who can verify this?
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Easy way to check for alcohol in fuel is by using 100 ml test tube (with a lid).

Put in 90 ml of fuel, add 10 ml of water, shake vigorously and then leave it to settle for one minute.

The water will settle over the fuel and if there's now more than 10 ml, it means there was alcohol in the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Easy way to check for alcohol in fuel is by using 100 ml test tube (with a lid).

Put in 90 ml of fuel, add 10 ml of water, shake vigorously and then leave it to settle for one minute.

The water will settle over the fuel and if there's now more than 10 ml, it means there was alcohol in the fuel.
    Luc, shouldn't the fuel sit on top of the water? ie the water should sit at the bottom?

I would have thought their would be less water visible as well as the alcohol aids the water to be absorbed - much the same as the old fix of pouring in a bottle of metho ??????